Any photos or videos of printed denture repairs/relines!?!

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
In a current thread about 3D printed dentures and relining/repairing them I noticed the lack of content for repaired and relined printed dentures. Nothing on Youtube, Google image search nothing even on here. So I hope that those who have experience doing printed denture repairs and relines could submit there work to give me and I hope anyone else interested in this topic an idea of what results we can expect. Also if you could briefly mention what materials and workflows achieve the best results, thanks in advance.

JenCow

JenCow

Reaction score
I work at a school, this came through. It's printed, but the tooth looks like it completely debonded. Idk what printed dentures are really made out of but I used cold cure Lucitone to stick that tooth back in. I suppose it'll hold as well as the original did.

Attachments

• IMG_3153.jpg
    IMG_3153.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3154.jpg
    IMG_3154.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3155.jpg
    IMG_3155.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 144
V

VanMan42

Reaction score
I work at a school, this came through. It's printed, but the tooth looks like it completely debonded. Idk what printed dentures are really made out of but I used cold cure Lucitone to stick that tooth back in. I suppose it'll hold as well as the original did.
I could be wrong but that does not look like a printed denture.

JenCow

JenCow

Reaction score
I could be wrong but that does not look like a printed denture.
It's got those "swirly" marks on it like it was printed, but i could be wrong. I've never really worked with anything denture and digital.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
It isn't printed, the swirly things are where someone used a bur in the lathe to reduce and shape the acrylic before processing. I prefer to make everything nice in wax first so you don't have to do that. Not sure what kind of school this is and from what I see you have all the basics there, however your docs will need to spend money on scanners and digital stuff as well. I also hate to say but I wish you luck finding Lucitone repair material after yours runs out...

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
As already stated. Any self cure resin will stick to it. But it will not bond to it.
From the looks of that denture, printed or not, it's not gonna matter.

Somethings off though. I think it might be printed and then heavily glazed.
Either way, it's bad.

Last edited:
JenCow

JenCow

Reaction score
As already stated. Any self cure resin will stick to it. But it will not bond to it.
From the looks of that denture, printed or not, it's not gonna matter.

Somethings off though. I think it might be printed and then heavily glazed.
Either way, it's bad.
Yeah, it’s got about half a bottle of palaseal on it. Whatever it is, it’s got #10 in it again :)

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s got about half a bottle of palaseal on it. Whatever it is, it’s got #10 in it again
Yeah your right then. :Congrats:
I knew something was odd. The photos were good, just not microscope. You can see its been "bedazzled".

And like I stated in the other thread. You gonna do all that from an IO scan for the fee of a reline??

Last edited:
JenCow

JenCow

Reaction score
Yeah your right then. :Congrats:
I knew something was odd. The photos were good, just not microscope. You can see its been "bedazzled".

And like I stated in the other thread. You gonna do all that from an IO scan for the fee of a reline??
It’s kind of different working for a college. I just do what they ask of me and don’t worry about costs. It’s nice, after the stress of owning my own lab :)

Also, this denture reminded me of something my first lab mentor would always say, “if it doesn’t fit, at least make it shiny!”

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
It’s kind of different working for a college. I just do what they ask of me and don’t worry about costs. It’s nice, after the stress of owning my own lab :)

Also, this denture reminded me of something my first lab mentor would always say, “if it doesn’t fit, at least make it shiny!”
Exactly, if you ask a denture person how the denture you just made looks and they tell that "it's really shiny", that isn't a compliment lol :)

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
"****ty, but shiny" the economy lab motto. If you've ever heard the term "cant polish a turd" has never known a dental lab technician.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
In a current thread about 3D printed dentures and relining/repairing them I noticed the lack of content for repaired and relined printed dentures. Nothing on Youtube, Google image search nothing even on here. So I hope that those who have experience doing printed denture repairs and relines could submit there work to give me and I hope anyone else interested in this topic an idea of what results we can expect. Also if you could briefly mention what materials and workflows achieve the best results, thanks in advance.
No surprise here because for the last 4 years I have been asking this question and the answer was: reprint it why bather. They can not be repaired or relined. Even last week at Chicago mid winter lab meeting I asked every single seller of 3D printer and resin, I has the same answer: reprint it. What no one can understand is you can not reprint a 3D denture after being in the mouth and gone thru adjustments and waring out due to chewing. Did you ask the dentist if he want to go thru it or even the patient to start all over adjusting to this denture?what about tissue resorption.
Plus labor wise it is not the same cost to the lab. I am still working on this and will post any advancements I have.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Not only labor but resins are not cheap. I know I'm not gonna print a new one for the price of repair. They should be labeled disposable, single use only.

And labs should explain this up front instead of repeating brochures.

Last edited:
Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Reline on dreve fotodent

Attachments

• 8CEF71DE-40D9-4A68-BBED-44DAE044E734.jpeg
    8CEF71DE-40D9-4A68-BBED-44DAE044E734.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 90709288-D4D8-471A-B4A3-52D2F5B4145A.jpeg
    90709288-D4D8-471A-B4A3-52D2F5B4145A.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 33
  • C8781DEB-B758-459D-B889-5A311CD93ABB.jpeg
    C8781DEB-B758-459D-B889-5A311CD93ABB.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 36
F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Because there aren’t any. So far not feasible to repair or reline printed resin with cold cure acrylic.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
So at the FDLA I spoke with Kevin Dillon from Desktop Health who is the National Sales Manger for Labs. I brought up this very issue and he told me that he had someone (believe it was a doctor, could be mistaken) who is having success. He showed me a picture of the product which I have attached. He mentioned that the doctor or technician (can’t remember) was also using the soft liner version and having similar success. Keep in mind this is working on the new Flexera base which has a long chain chemistry different from many methacrylate resin out their. Curious if anyone else is using this and having success. DD919090-4AA0-4A28-B0CA-C4D4B8B6D056.jpeg

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I understand the science of the issue, so let me simplify the discussion. It's like Clinton's definition of "sexual relations".

The purist technician will say that no you can't reline it. The two materials are chemically different and cannot bond acrylic with a UV composite unless you are using a bonding primer like GC Composite Primer (thanks Tom_Z).

The non-purist technician will say sure... we do it all the time. Just like Valplast dentures, we drill holes through it like an impression tray so it'll stick, bag it and send it out. Done 100 of em.

The dentist isn't going to know. They probably can't tell the difference between acrylic and print till it goes bad.

So you just to have to pick a side. First solution is to inform your client. Let him make the decision.

Top Bottom