AG Ceramill motion 2 DNA ,questions.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I have a x5 mikro,DNA and have been very happy with it (once I figured out I needed to use higher quality diamond coated burs) . I have both the motion & match 2 software and am thinking of buying a used DNA motion 2 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So I have two questions. Can I use the same software and computer to run both the machines and secondly , what is the power requirement for the motion ,120 or 230 . Many thanks for any replies .

A

A. M.

Reaction score
Yes you can use the same. That's what I do. Power is the same as well.
Just make sure your compressor is gonna be ok to run both mills.

Where do you get the diamond coated burrs from?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Yes you can use the same. That's what I do. Power is the same as well.
Just make sure your compressor is gonna be ok to run both mills.

Where do you get the diamond coated burrs from?
Right now i'm using the ones from MasterCut ( great price),,,,,also the 'Nano di' from Sierra dental tool (henry Schein) are good too , but a little expensive . Thanks for your input , I was hoping I could just connect it up and the software would ask which machine to use .
My Mikro was chipping a lot until I changed to those burrs , I think because it's so damn fast :)

A

A. M.

Reaction score
I was hoping I could just connect it up and the software would ask which machine to use .
In the Match2 pick which machine you are going to use to mill (Mikro or Motion2).
I tried the MasterCut, and it was good at the beginning but then they started breaking, so gave up. Didn't try the Sierra (Henry Schein is expensive).
Now we buy Hufschmied diamond coated, but only the 2.5 and 1mm. Only a couple dollar more then original AG burrs, and last 2.5x more

A

A. M.

Reaction score
I like that I have both mills on 1 computer, so I can use the zirconia pucks in both mills that way. I think it makes things easier.
I've been told if I would have them on separate computers, could be faster when I calculate jobs, but I calculate jobs ahead, even if the mill is still running. Because I use pre-shaded pucks.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I like that I have both mills on 1 computer, so I can use the zirconia pucks in both mills that way. I think it makes things easier.
I've been told if I would have them on separate computers, could be faster when I calculate jobs, but I calculate jobs ahead, even if the mill is still running. Because I use pre-shaded pucks.
That's exactly why I was thinking of getting the motion too . Have you been happy with the motion ? I have had the mikro for a few years now and one thing iv'e started doing every time now since having to have the Puck screw inserts replaced , which was a huge job (turned out to be ) Is vacuuming with a little dirt devil vac that sits next to the machine the four screws that holds the puck clamp plate . Every time I change a puck , because zirc dust getts down there ( it really is a bad design ) And then every 4 to 6 months I go in and gentle back out the threads and replace for new ones if any binding or wear. Because having to send the machine back to AG was a pain .

A

A. M.

Reaction score
That's exactly why I was thinking of getting the motion too . Have you been happy with the motion ? I have had the mikro for a few years now and one thing iv'e started doing every time now since having to have the Puck screw inserts replaced , which was a huge job (turned out to be ) Is vacuuming with a little dirt devil vac that sits next to the machine the four screws that holds the puck clamp plate . Every time I change a puck , because zirc dust getts down there ( it really is a bad design ) And then every 4 to 6 months I go in and gentle back out the threads and replace for new ones if any binding or wear. Because having to send the machine back to AG was a pain .
We only have it for a couple months now, yes it's good. Faster then the Mikro. But we only mill zirconia and pmma. Don't bother with ti or e-max. I don't think it's worth to do it, at least not for us.
I bought screws for the Mikro, and sometimes I change it as well. But are you talking about the screw or the coil? So far we changed 1 coil only, because someone else changed the puck, when I had to leave early...
I use a brush to clean it, and I don't take out the screws.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive got a line on a good deal on a motion 2 dna setup if youre interested. I passed on it after reading too many posts here of people having issues with them, then talked to esthetic professionals and learned they stopped selling and working on them.. also heard they had some issues with them and it takes a minimum $3000 service call to fix anything on it. I ended up going with a vhf instead.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I have the Motion 2 second generation (not DNA). The DNA has a different spindle than mine that is capable of turning about 10% faster. Have had to replace the spindle and some of the axis motors but am pleased with it operation, quality and speed. Make sure you get the 98mm holder in the deal, it's expensive. The 98 is a 3 point system that is screw retained. I have replaced the screws twice.

As for the Burs, I use the diamond coated for most things but use the AG PMMA burs. These burs flex less it seems and the resulting milled product is spot on. I do a lot of zirconia Hybrid restorations and mill a PMMA version for an esthetic tryin and use ti-bases. The ti-bases fit the mock-up the same as the finished zirconia frame.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
The service is $3000 + whatever parts you need, yes.
I've heard good, some bad things about the mill.
We have a Mikro for 4 years, and happy with it. We needed a 2nd mill and found a good deal. Will see...

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Ive got a line on a good deal on a motion 2 dna setup if youre interested. I passed on it after reading too many posts here of people having issues with them, then talked to esthetic professionals and learned they stopped selling and working on them.. also heard they had some issues with them and it takes a minimum $3000 service call to fix anything on it. I ended up going with a vhf instead.
Iv'e been reading a lot of the same stuff the last two days & am feeling the same way now too.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
Iv'e been reading a lot of the same stuff the last two days & am feeling the same way now too.
I can't verify the action that AG is taking but I have heard that EP isn't giving up there sales of the product, I heard AG took it away because they had such poor customer service. I purchased mine from them and never got an answer to any problem I had unless I talked to Ramon and that wasn't often.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Good to hear the other side of the story. I have mixed feeling about dealing with amann, their product blew up and I think the company wasnt really ready for it.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im selling my DOF mill if youre looking for something similar wet/dry 5 axis, fraction of the price.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I can't verify the action that AG is taking but I have heard that EP isn't giving up there sales of the product, I heard AG took it away because they had such poor customer service. I purchased mine from them and never got an answer to any problem I had unless I talked to Ramon and that wasn't often.
Yeah Ramon is great ,,,,,EP did a good job with my Mikro ,but it did have to go in twice . It was within the first year ,so everything was covered. It has worked beautifully the last year ,which is why I was thinking about the DNA motion 2 . I found one for sale from a doctors office with only six hours run time , which really sounds crazy ,but these deals can be found .

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Im selling my DOF mill if youre looking for something similar wet/dry 5 axis, fraction of the price.
Thanks for the offer my friend but I would like something new or almost new . I really don't need the wet option but you never know what materials are coming along in the future :)

Jesse Zamarripa

Jesse Zamarripa

Reaction score
There is always more to every story. We do repairs and do not charge that much.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I didnt intend to speak for you or an employee, I was speaking generally about not selling the machines anymore because I thought amann was a big part of your business model.

Jesse Zamarripa

Jesse Zamarripa

Reaction score
I didnt intend to speak for you or an employee, I was speaking generally about not selling the machines anymore because I thought amann was a big part of your business model.
Oh, I've been away from them since the beginning of 2020. At Opulent since then and we have AG, Exocad and EnvisionTEC.

N

Nuggetcarver39

Reaction score
Just get longer screws M3 x 12mm is what I use. Barely loosen and just hand tighten them. You can get a 25 pack on ebay for $7.