Registration in the state of Florida

doug

doug

Reaction score
I left FL before a CDT was required to own a lab. Sounds like a lot has changed.
CDT is not required to own a lab. You need to have a CDT on staff. Good luck with that. South Florida is a war zone, illegal everything down there.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
A CDT that isnt the owner of the lab, seems legit. I guess most of the labs would have to close if the owner had to learn what he was doing..

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
A CDT that isnt the owner of the lab, seems legit. I guess most of the labs would have to close if the owner had to learn what he was doing..
Harder to find a CDT that knows what their doing than an owner.

....Present company excluded of course

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Its not a move in the wrong direction. I think its good for the industry. The problem is of course trying to find these imaginary people. How many tech schools does FL have anymore? It used to be indian river, ft pierce where I took my test, and maybe one or two others. I guess you can always DIY it and just take the test. Its a good standard either way, I just hope I dont have to re-up mine..

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Its not a move in the wrong direction. I think its good for the industry. The problem is of course trying to find these imaginary people. How many tech schools does FL have anymore? It used to be indian river, ft pierce where I took my test, and maybe one or two others. I guess you can always DIY it and just take the test. Its a good standard either way, I just hope I dont have to re-up mine..
I learned all my bench skills from my father. Started off scraping the wax off the floor and booking cases when I was in high school. Progressed to doing it all ( at least removables). When it came to be certified I studied for 6 months using the Air Force Manuals. Some areas were easy others took longer to get. It can be done without schooling but it takes discipline. I would prefer more dental schools in Florida but make lemonade when you are given lemons.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I dont think the schooling adds anything you dont get training on the job. I did the same with the AF manuals and the lab even paid for it. CDT at least shows some dedication to the industry.. maybe why I dont have mine anymore.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I started in 1973 as a driver. My schooling consisted of paying a lot of attention to every person I came in contact with, reading my ass off, and practice, practice, practice. I took the CDT exam in 1980 for C&B, passed that. Got my Ceramic certification in 1986. I did it to see where I stood as I had no real idea what was the important stuff. I've been to Dawson, Pankey, and a couple of the Spear and Kois meetings. Getting certified is to show that you have a minimal level of competence as a technician in whatever area you test. Every dentist I know is a lot better from having taken post doc seminars, but if they can't get past the licensing exam it doesn't matter. Best education I ever received was the time I spent in Dr Jim Potts office when I first opened my lab. He had been the dircetor of education at Pankey in the early 80's and a very talented, gifted, patient person.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I am a one person dental lab. I make crowns for 2 dentists. I have to have a license to have my lab in the state of Florida and I have to pay for an inspection of my lab to receive that license. No where on the .gov website does it say I can not work out of my house. Before I request for the inspection and they come to my garage I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem before? I don’t want to waste my time and money on the inspection if I’m just going to be denied. Any suggestions?
Please and thank you!
I think this site should answer most of your concerns.
https://floridasdentistry.gov/licensing/dental-laboratory/

I don’t think the location of your business is a concern of the state as much as it would be for the county or an HOA. The state of Florida just wants to make sure you meet all the requirements stated in the link above.

Considering that you are only going to work for 2 dentists why not see if one of them has space to accommodate you in their office and avoid all the hassle and expense of setting up in your garage?

C

Crownmaker407

Reaction score
Th
Following up on Doug's comment it is necessary. I'm a two person family lab and every time the inspector comes I'm always the one there just by some random chance. Here's what in Florida (my experience) they look for.
1) Check your license number and if it's valid.
2) Go through your pans to see doc scripts
3) Ask to see a record of lab script at least 5 years old (maybe 3 years)
4) Ask if your sending the material fact sheet with every case.
5) Walk around for obvious health violations
6) Check your CE credits

It usually takes about 15-20 for them to inspect and write up a report and have you sign or email it to you. Out of all my interactions with the inspectors I've come to learn that your result may be mostly based on the person. Sometimes they are very thorough other times they go through the motions.
Thank you so much for this information! This was extremely helpful!

doug

doug

Reaction score
Hey, retired guy! How is the life of a free man?

J

jirumi

Reaction score
Following up on Doug's comment it is necessary. I'm a two person family lab and every time the inspector comes I'm always the one there just by some random chance. Here's what in Florida (my experience) they look for.
1) Check your license number and if it's valid.
2) Go through your pans to see doc scripts
3) Ask to see a record of lab script at least 5 years old (maybe 3 years)
4) Ask if your sending the material fact sheet with every case.
5) Walk around for obvious health violations
6) Check your CE credits

It usually takes about 15-20 for them to inspect and write up a report and have you sign or email it to you. Out of all my interactions with the inspectors I've come to learn that your result may be mostly based on the person. Sometimes they are very thorough other times they go through the motions.
I’m trying to start a lab and get licensed, but most suppliers will not sell to me without a license. So how would I set up the lab for inspection. Do you know if I only need to set up what the requirements are or do I need to have a fully functioning lab at the time of inspection? Also, do you know if I need a CDT on staff? Thanks in advance.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
I’m trying to start a lab and get licensed, but most suppliers will not sell to me without a license. So how would I set up the lab for inspection. Do you know if I only need to set up what the requirements are or do I need to have a fully functioning lab at the time of inspection? Also, do you know if I need a CDT on staff? Thanks in advance.
So my understanding of obtaining your license and the requirements necessary are up to your local government (city/county). In terms of scheduling an inspection, in Florida once your registered, they just show up unannounced no appointments. On the CDT I'm not entirely sure if it's required yet in Florida ( may be different in your state). I remember reading that there was a push by an organization of dental tech to upgrade our offical government classification which would require at least one CDT at a lab. They are making progress but the roadblocks to make it a universal change across the country is difficult as state authority can override federal.

doug

doug

Reaction score
There is supposed to be a CDT on staff in Florida. You need to register, get licensed, with the state, the county and the city you operate in. Also, Join the FDLA. Then you have an organization that will answer all of your questions about what you can and cannot do. The state comes in every other year for an inspection. If you run an orderly business you should have no problem passing the inspection. BTW, all of you who think we are classified as un-skilled workers, you are wrong. Again, the FDLA can answer that question for you.

T

TheDentureGuy

Reaction score
desanttis is allowing more people with skill to practice. they are also trying to regulate technicians to work directly with clients, Theres are his demand there for dental restorations.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Can you source whatever it is you're talking about? Last year technicians were given the the right, by legislation that was signed into law, to work directly with the patients in the dental office.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I am a one person dental lab. I make crowns for 2 dentists. I have to have a license to have my lab in the state of Florida and I have to pay for an inspection of my lab to receive that license. No where on the .gov website does it say I can not work out of my house. Before I request for the inspection and they come to my garage I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem before? I don’t want to waste my time and money on the inspection if I’m just going to be denied. Any suggestions?
Please and thank you!
Yes you have to have a license of occupation from the city first and yes they do inspect on yearly basis. Covid slowed the inspection but it did happen. I do not believe you can work out of your house unless the zoning code allows it.