Registration in the state of Florida

C

Crownmaker407

Reaction score
I am a one person dental lab. I make crowns for 2 dentists. I have to have a license to have my lab in the state of Florida and I have to pay for an inspection of my lab to receive that license. No where on the .gov website does it say I can not work out of my house. Before I request for the inspection and they come to my garage I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem before? I don’t want to waste my time and money on the inspection if I’m just going to be denied. Any suggestions?
Please and thank you!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Worked in FL labs all my life save the last 10 years, Ive never heard anything like that. Never heard of a license or inspections. Maybe this has changed or maybe its a county thing? Where are you at? I know there are some floridiots here that would know more..

doug

doug

Reaction score
You need (are required) to be registered with the city, county, and state of Florida to legally operate a dental lab. The state come through every 2 years to inspect for compliance. Why would anyone think this would not be necessary. I have don't have a problem with anyone having a lab in their home. I wouldn't do it. www.FDLA.net you can get pretty much all of the information you need to med the requirements. While you're there join the FDLA, it's your state association and a great resource for dental labs who have questions that need accurate answers.

C

Crownmaker407

Reaction score
You need (are required) to be registered with the city, county, and state of Florida to legally operate a dental lab. The state come through every 2 years to inspect for compliance. Why would anyone think this would not be necessary. I have don't have a problem with anyone having a lab in their home. I wouldn't do it. www.FDLA.net you can get pretty much all of the information you need to med the requirements. While you're there join the FDLA, it's your state association and a great resource for dental labs who have questions that need accurate answers.
Thank you!
I’ve been to the site and I didn’t see anything on there about working out of my residential home or garage? I even called the phone number the site has for questions and the lady that answered the phone said “I can’t say yes or no. All I can tell you is we can’t tell you where to have your lab. It just has to be up to code” sooooo I’m assuming that means I can but I don’t want to set my garage up like a lab and pay the for the inspection fee if I’m going to be told I can’t do business there.
I have read and read the requirements and don’t see anything about residential home based dental lab restrictions so I guess it’s ok….

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I am a one person dental lab. I make crowns for 2 dentists. I have to have a license to have my lab in the state of Florida and I have to pay for an inspection of my lab to receive that license. No where on the .gov website does it say I can not work out of my house. Before I request for the inspection and they come to my garage I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem before? I don’t want to waste my time and money on the inspection if I’m just going to be denied. Any suggestions?
Please and thank you!
check with local zoning. while it may be possible in the states eyes....your local zoning might cause issues for having light healthcare manufacturing in a residential zoned property.

really though, anyone looking to run a biz should have done this type of research long before opening the doors... not trying to be rude, but how do you not know this?

C

Crownmaker407

Reaction score
check with local zoning. while it may be possible in the states eyes....your local zoning might cause issues for having light healthcare manufacturing in a residential zoned property.

really though, anyone looking to run a biz should have done this type of research long before opening the doors... not trying to be rude, but how do you not know this?
I will check into that too thank you. I haven’t started my business yet at all. I’m just considering working home based rather then leasing a location when the only employee is myself.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Florida is notorious for being anal. Have a friend who got "raided", said 🖕, closed and moved.
Too much BS down there.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Is this only for having a lab in your house? I had mine in my home for awhile after a guy I worked with stole money from me and threatened to blow my brains out and break my kneecaps.. Gotta love FL.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Is this only for having a lab in your house? I had mine in my home for awhile after a guy I worked with stole money from me and threatened to blow my brains out and break my kneecaps.. Gotta love FL.
Panthers fan?

C

Crownmaker407

Reaction score
Dang well sounds much safer to work from home then for sure.
Did you have any problems getting registered in FL when you had your home inspected for your lab license?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I will check into that too thank you. I haven’t started my business yet at all. I’m just considering working home based rather then leasing a location when the only employee is myself.
nothing wrong with that at all! its a good option for startups and offers some unique tax benefits too :)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
go for it.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I think that in some areas you aren't permitted to have a home based business that has "traffic" in and out. In my neighborhood the HOA doesn't allow home based businesses at all. I'm also on the board so I get to hear about it a lot. They knew when they moved in that that is the rule. I have a friend who runs a travel business out of his home. I don't think any of his neighbors even know what he does, they think he's retired.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Following up on Doug's comment it is necessary. I'm a two person family lab and every time the inspector comes I'm always the one there just by some random chance. Here's what in Florida (my experience) they look for.
1) Check your license number and if it's valid.
2) Go through your pans to see doc scripts
3) Ask to see a record of lab script at least 5 years old (maybe 3 years)
4) Ask if your sending the material fact sheet with every case.
5) Walk around for obvious health violations
6) Check your CE credits

It usually takes about 15-20 for them to inspect and write up a report and have you sign or email it to you. Out of all my interactions with the inspectors I've come to learn that your result may be mostly based on the person. Sometimes they are very thorough other times they go through the motions.

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
And meanwhile compete with other states that only need a county business license.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
And meanwhile compete with other states that only need a county business license.
And in Virginia Beach we only need a business license for the repair portion of our acrylic lab. Manufacturing portion doesn't need one.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I left FL before a CDT was required to own a lab. Sounds like a lot has changed.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Local zoning may call you many different things. It's considered light industrial in my area. Finding places without 3 phase power and roof Windows that weren't pained over in ww2 was a joke