So... 3shape or exocad?

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
This topic is sure to bring everyone to the discussion (at least I'm hoping). 3shape software is obviously user friendly and widely adopted. Exocad is known to be the king of bending the rules and allowing the designer to figure out tricks that aren't endorsed but get the job done without paying for every module. 3shape cost is reflective of there marker share while exocad is slowly entering a point of "that feels too expensive". The cost between the two for removable applications is about $1,000 difference. I am looking specifically for feedback from removable tech who design. As I contemplate which software to buy I'm stuck with two questions I want to present to the members.

1) For those who at one point used one then switched, what was the main motivation for switching, also any regrets?

2) Looking into the near future who do you see as the biggest innovator (this is strickly for digital dentures)?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Can of worms on here. Both are simply tools, one does better on certain object then the other and vs. But both have issues not one of them is perfect. Do not be foold by the no license fee. Evry year exo releases a new version and you want it or need to have it you pay..........hence a yearly fee. lol But if not then no biggy skip it but later down the road 3 yrs go by you ay have to pay a back fee for the years you did not upgrade, other wise that would not be fair to those that pay every year to get the newest version. But it is cheaper overall to have all the modules then 3shape. But 3shape gets you all the modules for 2500 a year. Except for ortho and implant studio.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
But 3shape gets you all the modules for 2500 a year. Except for ortho and implant studio.
I hear you. Purchased exocad back in 2016 and havent upgraded for years. The price to be current and add dentures like I said earlier is not that different from just purchasing 3shape removable package. The 2,500 is that annual upgrade fee? I'm solely interested in dentures not sure what the price to upgrade just the denture package every year would be.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I hear you. Purchased exocad back in 2016 and havent upgraded for years. The price to be current and add dentures like I said earlier is not that different from just purchasing 3shape removable package. The 2,500 is that annual upgrade fee? I'm solely interested in dentures not sure what the price to upgrade just the denture package every year would be.
You must have the current base package to buy curent modules.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
My standard advice when dealing with a choice for equip like this is that you want to define your needs, find what fits your needs and then what resller has the best reputation for supporting that product.

See which has what yiu wabt abd if either work enough the way your mind does to feel intuitive instrad of deductive.

For a few hindred you could get trial dongles. I assume its still possible.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I'll sell you all of my hand tools that took hours of labor for $25.00 and keep my Exocad.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I'll sell you all of my hand tools that took hours of labor for $25.00 and keep my Exocad.
So when everyone has exocad, and all the designs go to the same mill hub, the same printer hub, how valuable will you be?

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Wake No Sleep GIF

Sorry for the reminder of our current professional existence. I came across a thread started in 2018 with post from 2021 and about 5 pages long about this very topic. So what I’m trying to say is thanks and we can end it here.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Wake No Sleep GIF

Sorry for the reminder of our current professional existence. I came across a thread started in 2018 with post from 2021 and about 5 pages long about this very topic. So what I’m trying to say is thanks and we can end it here.
its a question that arises at least once a quarter, since probably 2011.

it has always come down to preference because the costs are simply the costs of doing business.

they both do the same thing, work mostly the same way, and acheive the same results.

though to exocad's credit there is currently a marketing deal on to get any off-contract dongle onto their new software for a flat price no matter how old the dongle is. also a deal to upgrade to the "exocad ultimate" bundle which gives you all available modules for the software at the same time for a flat fee.

3shape never has deals.

but again, costs of doing business.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
If you don't update exocad for lets say 3 years, then you don't have to pay later for those 3 years, but there is refresh fee, that is 1500.- + then the modules and base. So it is cheaper than 3 shape and you can always use your exocad when not paying, but with 3shape you are locked out. Also I don't know a single tech who has switched from exocad to 3shape, but I know many who has switched the other way around.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
So... which exocad reseller should I look into. I know its all about support with training being a close second. I'm leaning between Evolve Dental with Jonathan and DT technologies. Can anyone offer more options? Also back in 2016 when we purchased exocad our reseller (no longer around) said that it is a completely open version. I believe he was referencing locked content (??) or custom add on (visuals). Can someone fill me in on whether some resellers lock features or make cosmetic changes to exocad?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
So... which exocad reseller should I look into. I know its all about support with training being a close second. I'm leaning between Evolve Dental with Jonathan and DT technologies. Can anyone offer more options? Also back in 2016 when we purchased exocad our reseller (no longer around) said that it is a completely open version. I believe he was referencing locked content (??) or custom add on (visuals). Can someone fill me in on whether some resellers lock features or make cosmetic changes to exocad?
lets say for example you buy ZirkonZahn, it is exocad, however it is "cosmetically" changed to have a specific interface, colour scheme, etc.

same if you buy Amann Girrbach.

its exocad, just with a different UI.

whether or not they lock things up depends on their reasons why. they can't go too crazy, lest their changes lock you out of libraries (i've seen that happen)

everyone sells their branded version. most resellers have specific premade dongle packages though, to entice specific sales, for example theres an Ultimate bundle, or a Removables bundle, that kind of thing.

Axsys sells exocad. I work for Axsys. DT sells exocad, and Josh posts here with support help sometimes.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i know exocad would not be as good if it wasnt for Zirkonzahn and visa versa as they do a lot of developing together.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
They have just removable option only no ned for C&B. You can get the rmovable module only. Best to call a reseller. They have changed they way they do a lot of stuff from 2016.

Top Bottom