Can a lab get in trouble for using non authentic parts?

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Specifically I’m wondering about the zimmer/ bio horizons semi compatibility. Zimmer technically fits with bio horizons since the diameter of the internal hex is the same, but the depth isn’t the same, I was reading that a connection that isn’t snug like that can lead to bone loss. Let’s say a lab was using zimmer in place of bio horizons to save money, and a dentist realizes it’s not authentic, can that come back to bite the lab?
Asking for a friend.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I use Atlantis for most of my implant cases on Straumann, Nobel, Astra, Zimmer, Bio Horizons, etc implants. I ALWAYS inform the doctor as to how I would recommend a case be restored. I explain to them the benefits of Atlantis and why I like to use their abutments to restore my implant cases. I don't tell them that other abutments are bad. Almost all of my doctors trust me to use the parts that will result in the best restoration. The nice part about Atlantis is that their warranty covers the abutment and the implant if the implant ends up failing for any reason. Atlantis isn't cheap, but the support and the quality of their product is unmatched by any other abutment manufacturer I have worked with.

Cleo

Cleo

Reaction score
I ask my clients when they start up how they want them restored and can save it in customer preferences in my management software so it shows up on every case. I make them decide. I see so many with bone loss or poor placement that there are going to be failures and I like it noted what they want. Probably 80% want the cheapest option possible.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Well what does "come back to bite you" mean?
1) Remake for free
2) Lose account
3) Civil Liability
4) Criminal Fraud

Maybe your friend could screen-filter used motor oil so he could save money selling oil changes on the weekend.

Just tell him to use the right one and tack it on the bill. If he wants to save money, eat more bologna..

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's Friday the 13th
What could possibly go wrong?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If the Dr is expecting OEM parts and you use something else then at a minimum it’s deception. If it’s on the Rx and you don’t follow it, it’s fraud and you would have all sorts of liability.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Can I reuse an implant after its fallen out of the bone?

I think every lab should have the discussion or maybe even have the Dr sign a consent form, that the Dr knows what materials you are using. Ive had the conversation many times and the Drs still dont understand why I would use a dess abutment over a nobel. I have to explain that nobels options are so outdated and limited and that in some cases I have no choice but to use something that actually works rather than have brand loyalty. Dont ever try to slip it by them, definitely make sure they are informed and consent to use aftermarket. Then explain why companys like nobel and straumann buy out others like ELOS and medentika, trying to limit their market share as they produce the exact same abutment with improvements that nobel cant bother to figure out. I mean how does nobel sell a scan marker that you cant screw in? That alone shows how lacking their library is.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I miss those old Remax questions.
And that one dude(Disturbed) who would be the lone voice saying that Zirconia was a terrible material and we were negligent for using it

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Can I reuse an implant after its fallen out of the bone?

I think every lab should have the discussion or maybe even have the Dr sign a consent form, that the Dr knows what materials you are using. Ive had the conversation many times and the Drs still dont understand why I would use a dess abutment over a nobel. I have to explain that nobels options are so outdated and limited and that in some cases I have no choice but to use something that actually works rather than have brand loyalty. Dont ever try to slip it by them, definitely make sure they are informed and consent to use aftermarket. Then explain why companys like nobel and straumann buy out others like ELOS and medentika, trying to limit their market share as they produce the exact same abutment with improvements that nobel cant bother to figure out. I mean how does nobel sell a scan marker that you cant screw in? That alone shows how lacking their library is.
Better yet type it out and print a handout, because it goes in one ear and out the other. It'll save the repetition.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
We do both OEM and after market abutments, determined by what the Doctor wants. I will say this. We do a lot of abutments and based on our internal data, we have had far less issues with the after market parts. Go figure.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
We do both OEM and after market abutments, determined by what the Doctor wants. I will say this. We do a lot of abutments and based on our internal data, we have had far less issues with the after market parts. Go figure.
I don’t mind after market, but the zimmer into bio horizons kind of freaks me out since it’s such a different depth on the internal hex. In reality, it’s my lab and they’re being cheap, and I’m trying to go about finding the best way to bring this to their attention/ making sure it’s an actual concern.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Well what does "come back to bite you" mean?
1) Remake for free
2) Lose account
3) Civil Liability
4) Criminal Fraud

Maybe your friend could screen-filter used motor oil so he could save money selling oil changes on the weekend.

Just tell him to use the right one and tack it on the bill. If he wants to save money, eat more bologna..
Any of those. It’s my lab and I’m trying to convince them to stop being cheap.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
The Doctor should know and approve what you are using. If Doc ask for something specific and you use something else you are most likely liable. So don't do it. Just let the Doc decide. Like Cleo said, a lot choose the less expensive option.

E

EDR

Reaction score
No me importa después del mercado, pero el zimmer en biohorizontes me asusta un poco, ya que es una profundidad tan diferente en el hechizo interno. En realidad, es mi laboratorio y están siendo baratos, y estoy tratando de encontrar la mejor manera de llamar su atención / asegurarme de que sea una preocupación real.
yo no usaría un zimmer en un biohorizons, el hexágono de zimmer es cónico, de 2.45 ~ a 2.39mm (1 grado),por 1,5 mm de longitud y biohorizon es de 2.41mm (totalmente recto) por 1,5mm de longitud. Lo haría ver elevado como si fuera más grande, en longitud, uno con respecto al otro.
Pero si usaría un biohorizon en un Zimmer ya que adaptaría bien por el cono que le menciono.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I miss those old “ what’s the average price everyone is changing?” Questions

Top Bottom