Medit/exocad Pains

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
You label the dies when you do the margins, it shouldn't require re-scanning.
What you see in the picture is how the model is labeled from the start, so before marking margins. WHen I get to the margin marking step it only allows me to place the margin on the die it wants me to do. Even if i try to mark a different prep or any other part of the model it won't.

I went back and through rescanning and reloaded what I could and scanned.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
When you change the library, you can change the tooth too
Dang, didn't think of that.

You'd think with all the "cat skinning" capabilities of eXo they'd make remarking prep numbers a possibility.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
Dang, didn't think of that.

You'd think with all the "cat skinning" capabilities of eXo they'd make remarking prep numbers a possibility.
I get your frustration...
Got ExoCad about the same time as you, and I have my "awesome" days too, lol

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
What you see in the picture is how the model is labeled from the start, so before marking margins. WHen I get to the margin marking step it only allows me to place the margin on the die it wants me to do. Even if i try to mark a different prep or any other part of the model it won't.
Really? Out of curiosity, what scanner are you using? Does your scanning software mark which die is which?

They're never labeled on mine, not before margin/scanbody selection anyway. In fact, I have sometimes, confused which is which and done the margins in the opposite order (kinda like yours),and then just reloaded the case. I use a Smartoptics Vinyl scanner.

In some cases tho, you can just change the tooth in the next steps like A. M. said.

J

Josh Claxton

Reaction score
If you right click in the background and save the whole scene as an STL, then you can just import the whole scan as a jaw scan if you "break" the link with the current scans in the CAD-Data folder. You do this by renaming them so they do not match the .dentalproject file naming convention.

Alternatively, if you look in the CAD-Data folder, you can see the dies numbered in FDI numbering. If you swap the numbers around so that the ones mislabeled are correct, then when you relaunch CADApp and choose to load from Scan Data, the files will auto pull the correct order.

Lots of skinning in Exocad! I prefer in Medit scan to set up the scans to export as one piece, instead of dies separately for this reason though. Even the most careful scanner will oops sometimes. The only drawback is that when you go to mark margins, sometimes the tissue (if you have gingiva, or if you scan a solid stone and scan in dies for margins) can get in the way when marking your margin. As long as they're ditched well though, when you detect it Exo picks it up really well.

Apostolis159 probably has a scanner that auto-exports as one solid file instead of labeling the dies in exocad format, or has it set to do so in Medit scan

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
Apostolis159 probably has a scanner that auto-exports as one solid file instead of labeling the dies in exocad format, or has it set to do so in Medit scan
Indeed, my scanner exports the file as one piece. I have a smartoptics Vinyl.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Next conundrum

Case was scanned by employee. I find I need to change something so I hit the scan button. When opening scan program it asks if i want to save the previous scan. I say yes. Then it opens the scanner and does not import the previous scan. I'm bugged. So at this point I know this really annoying thing is going to happen. I'll select to import files and when doing the jaw with the preps...the preps do not load with the jaw.
1631639204566.png
It will not allow me to select the jaw and all the dies to import either. real cute. Is there a way to have the software automatically save the jaw with the dies in place?

J

Josh Claxton

Reaction score
Heya Riley! When you import the scans see if you can import multiple scans. if so, highlight the dies and jaw scan at the same time and import. If not, import them into an exocad scene file and then export them all as a "single" mesh.

It's likely that the meditprocess file or identicaprocess file (depending on which your software version is doing) is either getting renamed/removed or not saved some how. That is what is actually saving the step by step of scans. Sometimes that file is also kept in your Doc/user/medit/meditproject/etc etc etc etc folder. Some people clear this out because it takes up a lot of space, though this is usually only if the CAD-Data folder is on a different system (ie: via mapped network directories)

I might also suggest trying the meditlink scan software instead. It can function with even older scanners, and almost all of the bugs have been worked out since its rough release. You can make a meditlink account (which you use to accept scans from Medit IOS doctors anyways) download the meditlink software, then go to settings and attach it to your Exocad DB.exe located in c:/ and tell it to allow for use in the DB (forget the wording by memory, but it's a checkbox)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i agree with Josh, use meditlink instead. different workflow but predictable results.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Heya Riley! When you import the scans see if you can import multiple scans. if so, highlight the dies and jaw scan at the same time and import. If not, import them into an exocad scene file and then export them all as a "single" mesh.

It's likely that the meditprocess file or identicaprocess file (depending on which your software version is doing) is either getting renamed/removed or not saved some how. That is what is actually saving the step by step of scans. Sometimes that file is also kept in your Doc/user/medit/meditproject/etc etc etc etc folder. Some people clear this out because it takes up a lot of space, though this is usually only if the CAD-Data folder is on a different system (ie: via mapped network directories)

I might also suggest trying the meditlink scan software instead. It can function with even older scanners, and almost all of the bugs have been worked out since its rough release. You can make a meditlink account (which you use to accept scans from Medit IOS doctors anyways) download the meditlink software, then go to settings and attach it to your Exocad DB.exe located in c:/ and tell it to allow for use in the DB (forget the wording by memory, but it's a checkbox)
Thanks
I tried your first suggestion and it doesn't allow multiple files to be selected.
I'll give the meditlink a go.
I'm still loving the 1,709,231 ways to skin a cat with the exocad family of products and companies!! (maybe a little sarcasm there 🤣)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
16 pages of posts and you still havent learned that you need 'workarounds' for exocad to 'work'

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
16 pages of posts and you still havent learned that you need 'workarounds' for exocad to 'work'
Don't be a doosh! Of course I know there are workarounds, I'm still aquiring more tricks of the exocad lifestyle!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
scorpiongamingchairp00pp00p-scorpion.gif

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

rkm, I still don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did these 4 arches without 1 glitch. One upper had 2- 3 unit anterior bridges, and I intentionally left the implant abutment out until after doing the lower, so I would design it better (UCLA) after I had more of that information established. I do realize that not hitting Apply to All on bigger cases helps to cut down on hesitations or possible glitches, but rather do each one individually. It may take a couple of extra minutes, but it's worth it. Should I feel bad about being productive? ;) :)

I did just design and am milling a 8 unit case, no problems at all. Maybe I'm not doing as complex cases as some of you all, but so many times I'm thankful that I'm using the dreaded and despised 3Sheep :)

3shape.JPG

3shape1.JPG

3shape2.JPG

3shape3.JPG

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Awesome, I’m loving the Trios workflow as well. Very consistent.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Next conundrum

Case was scanned by employee. I find I need to change something so I hit the scan button. When opening scan program it asks if i want to save the previous scan. I say yes. Then it opens the scanner and does not import the previous scan. I'm bugged. So at this point I know this really annoying thing is going to happen. I'll select to import files and when doing the jaw with the preps...the preps do not load with the jaw.
View attachment 39332
It will not allow me to select the jaw and all the dies to import either. real cute. Is there a way to have the software automatically save the jaw with the dies in place?
Have you tried holding down CTRL on the keyboard while selecting the files?

Top Bottom