interproximal tearing using vita vm13

D

dabza

Reaction score
hello guys , iam having troubles with the Vita vm 13 shrinkage on the interproximal zones , always tearing HELP plz

C

charles007

Reaction score
To be totally honest I stopped using VM 13 years ago because at the time I did a lot of bridges and 13 does tear more than some porcelains. Master might tear less and can't remember now. VM13 a nice porcelain but its Vita and you must fire on the wet side. If you want your tearing problems to be MUCH less stressful switch to Shofu, it tears much less and easy to do add-ons. GC is another beautiful porcelain and also tears a little less than 13. Noritake EX- 3 is an easy porcelain to use but needs multi powder to get the more lifelike results like GC or Shofu porcelains.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Try firing a interproximal bake by itself. You can do the pontic ging at the same time. Then do your main build up. It sounds like a finicky porcelain like Ivoclar d.sign tends to be.

Like Charles said, Shofu porcelain is a very forgiving porcelain, especially Vintage Halo and I'm sure the newer Vintage Pro is as well.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I remember some of the hands on course gurus used to cut into the interproximal build up with a instrument to control the shrinkage and tearing, but as with you all, doing a separate bake works better for me.

I just use a #25 BP blade by itself, for doing some of the cutbacks, carving the interproximal and contouring and cutting the contact areas. I have more control compared to a longer handled instrument.

20210604_055955.jpg

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I remember some of the hands on course gurus used to cut into the interproximal build up with a instrument to control the shrinkage and tearing, but as with you all, doing a separate bake works better for me.

I just use a #25 BP blade by itself, for doing some of the cutbacks, carving the interproximal and contouring and cutting the contact areas. I have more control compared to a longer handled instrument.

View attachment 38646
I used to cut the interproximal after the first bake .
That way the warm cervical porcelain will be the cutting surface instead of the opaque.
...just like Doug.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I kinda miss the good old days....

....of course these days I don't.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I kinda miss the good old days....

....of course these days I don't.

CAD/CAM especially fcz, has saved "years" of my life and lab life, with less hours and stress of hand waxing, pfm's etc. etc.
Long live CAD/CAM, harumph, harumph Cheers

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
CAD/CAM especially fcz, has saved "years" of my life and lab life, with less hours and stress of hand waxing, pfm's etc. etc.
Long live CAD/CAM, harumph, harumph Cheers
Take the rest of the day off Car.
You've earned it.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Take the rest of the day off Car.
You've earned it.

This is where I was at with my move back to the lower level of my house at 9:00am on Saturday morning, then where I was at at 9:00am on Tuesday morning.
Thank goodness for the long Memorial weekend, as I was able to get a lot set up and get some of the work out this week that needed to be done.
After I get some the final things hooked up, drawers sorted out and pictures on the wall this weekend, then I'll take that deep breath and sigh of relief :)

20210529_091719.jpg
20210529_091742.jpg
20210529_091749.jpg
20210601_161329.jpg
20210601_161401.jpg
20210601_161433.jpg

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Is that what you're going to do this weekend, at the cabin?
For sure, it's going to be a warm one. Working on the stairs down to the water so I can hop in when needed.
Did you move your lab back home ?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
For sure, it's going to be a warm one. Working on the stairs down to the water so I can hop in when needed.
Did you move your lab back home ?

Yep, just in time, as the next 4-5 days are going to be in the upper 90s. The place I was renting from did not have very good heating and cooling.
I even bought a portable AC unit for that space that could barely keep up with the heat from the equipment, lights, ovens were putting out. In the winter I would have to open a window. Now at home, as with The Outer Limits, "We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical..." I have complete control :) :)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm going to have to downsize my lab considerably.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
In what way, why? lol...the 3 "W"s :)

Are you going to be totally moving into the cabin? If that's the case, you don't move a lab into a peaceful retirement location like that ;) :)

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
In what way, why? lol...the 3 "W"s :)

Are you going to be totally moving into the cabin? If that's the case, you don't move a lab into a peaceful retirement location like that ;) :)
no it's off the grid.
To paraphrase Robert Plant , I'm gonna bring it on home, watch out watch out...

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Try firing a interproximal bake by itself. You can do the pontic ging at the same time. Then do your main build up. It sounds like a finicky porcelain like Ivoclar d.sign tends to be.
Yes, that should help! Been doing that ever since d.Sign came on the market.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
no it's off the grid.
To paraphrase Robert Plant , I'm gonna bring it on home, watch out watch out...

In a day and time way back when, that wouldn't have stopped my dad. He would talk about working vacations, where we could bring an alcohol torch for wax ups with us and wax during our vacations. After hearing talk like that, my mom and us kids had him committed to the SunnyBrook Home for the Dentally Challenged. He now drives the Ivoclar tour bus so he can be on the road exploring new places all the while keeping work at hand :) :)

home-page.jpg

Top Bottom