Anodizing Ti.

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
So we got our kit from RioGrande this week.
I set it up and took some left over Ti abutments that were laying around and had some fun.
The first few were straight out of laying in a drawer for a year, so the final result was terrible, too dirty.
Next I polished a few to a high shine, then straight into the bath, better but not best.
Then I polished a few more to a high shine. Put them in the ultrasonic with soapy water, then some 99% alcohol, and then into the Multi Etch that came with the kit, then the bath.
Boom, very nice.
So then I tried to take the Ti abutments to GOLD. Then mask out the core with wax and leave the collar exposed. Back into the bath for a few more volts to magenta.
Boom.
Very cool two tone Ti abutments.
So now what.
Now I am curious what you guys have learned regarding, Ti Finish and the solutions used to clean and bath the Ti for best results.
Will my results differ if I changeup the cathode from the Stainless Steel cathode to maybe a Ti bar cathode.
The anode is just a Niobium wire, would I get better results with Ti anode?

Maybe we can start a mega thread for anodizing Ti.
As beautiful as Pantheradental does, I think it's so good, I don't expect them to share trade secrets.
But maybe some of us who are still experimenting can share.

I ordered a couple jewelry cleaning jars. The size is just right, they have lids, and a pull up strainer.
I'm going to fill one with Etch and one with another cleaner, probably alcohol/water.
And I'm still searching for the best bath jar and plastic mesh scoop if anyone has any ideas.

-Marc

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I use niobium for the cathode and a titanium wire for the anode. The better the luster from polishing and cleaning the better the surface looks. I use nonsudsing ammonia to remove the polish followed by a water bath and then acetone before etching. I have found that you want the mass of the cathode to meet or exceed the mass of what you are anodizing.
This helps with consistency with my technique.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
ammonia, yea, i add some windex to some water and then ultrasonic the rouge or tripoli off. I should get a gallon of ammonia.
Does the nobium cathode oxidize on the negative polarity? Would the oxide reduce the conductivity?
I ordered a spool of 22g nobium wire. If I have 4 abutments to do I will just loop them onto the wire. And go through the whole cleaning,, bathing proccess leaving them on the closed loop of nobium. This way I can handle them without touching them.
Then I need something good to brush on the core if I want to mask it out for a two tone abutment. waxing it out is ok, but one smudge of wax gets on the collar where I don't want it and its no longer a clean surface, so it anodizes terrible on the second bath.
maybe white out would work. Its got to go on clean, precise, and dry fast. and withstand a second cleaning before the second bath. since i will be touching it with my oily fingers.
I also think I want to get crazy and once in a while maybe for a new doc, mask out the tooth numbers and anodize them a slightly different color than the core.
But I cant find any ridiculously small number decals online. But I'm sure thats just overkill.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
No oxide on the niobium.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
So I'm getting my kit this week too. I've noticed that some instructions say to raise the current gradually while another video shows the guy cranking the current up to what he knows works and then touching the abutments with the anode. Do both techniques work equally well?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I leave mine on my preset voltage. Many ways to anodize a cat

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
Just a test of what we could do. We have have been adding horizontal retentive grooves before anodization. Polished surfaces anodize the best. It is important to have the abutment very clean and free of any polishing residue or oxide. We used acid in the beginning and then found out later we could also get good results without it. image.jpeg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
This thread might be nice to include if we were creating a anodizing Ti mega thread: http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/does-anodizing-make-a-noticeable-difference.22321/

So I'm getting my kit this week too. I've noticed that some instructions say to raise the current gradually while another video shows the guy cranking the current up to what he knows works and then touching the abutments with the anode. Do both techniques work equally well?

Is this the video? http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/...ke-a-noticeable-difference.22321/#post-202564

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
The manufacturer of the DC converter states that a gradual step up will keep you from damaging your machine.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCQ8fwBLQ2o/

You cant tell by the photo, but. The collar is closer to purple than pink. However, the interface itself was untouched after machining, and it was very close to a great pink. So I think I will leave the machined finish on the collar next time and see if that helps me to find a great pink.

Edit, follow me on Instagram.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It looks nice, Marcus. I looks like you're getting things worked and figured out.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Seems like forever there are 3 stickers we send one in the box we keep one and scan it into the case file and put the other on the invoice,

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Seems like forever there are 3 stickers we send one in the box we keep one and scan it into the case file and put the other on the invoice,
I was used to the 2 stickers we got until they shut down Forte users last June. Hadn't seen them since then. Our three letter site prefix is probably seared into my brain for life.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Old thread, I know, but I have a question:

Is anybody anodizing after cementing the restoration onto the abutment? And if so, will it weaken the bond between cement and Ti abutment? Or doesn't it haver any influence, since it only anodizes the exposed surface to the solution?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but like the saying goes: There are no dumb questions etc etc...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Old thread, I know, but I have a question:

Is anybody anodizing after cementing the restoration onto the abutment? And if so, will it weaken the bond between cement and Ti abutment? Or doesn't it haver any influence, since it only anodizes the exposed surface to the solution?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but like the saying goes: There are no dumb questions etc etc...
Uhhh.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Couldnt hurt to try, you would never know if it weakened the cement bond though. I have to think it couldnt help the bond.. The electrical process produces oxidization bubbles that might escape from the internal surface into the cement.. Although its not contacting the electrolytic solution, its still probably reacts.. Dontknow

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I assume it could infiltrate by capillary action along the junction where the cement fills the dozen or few microns of space around the circumference.

Whether it would is the chemist level question as it may not react at all.