3Shape Screw-Retain crown without Scan-Body

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Hello All!

Here is to hoping that you guys can give me an answer so I don't have to wonder around the internet getting half answers. Essentially we currently design our screw retained crowns on ExoCad using either a scanbody for alignment or using the manual positioning method. We are trying to take full advantage of our extra design seats and are trying to do the same type of design on our 3Shape system.

The issue is that in 3Shape, whenever I try to do a screw retain crown it constantly asks me for a scanbody. We scanned it originally with the titanium abutment in place and where hoping to design directly on this and still be able to make the hole for a screw... etc, is there a way to do manual positioning in 3Shape or are we stuck only being able to do the cases we have scanbodies for?

Cheers,

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If you are scanning an abutment, then select a crown as the restoration. You can add a screw hole in the attachment selection .

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'm currently doing the second one I've ever done as far as screw retained. Everything else for me has been cementable for all these years.
Maybe there is another way, but rkm's way worked for me. I based out the access hole for the scan.
I milled it twice at different levels in the MT Multi puck just to compare the shade and translucency results.

20210511_144035.jpg

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
anytime you use a feature in the Abutment section of the order form (abutment screw retained crown, etc) you will be prompted for scan body information per the library.

if you were inclined, you could either modify the library OR as rkm had indicated, just choose Anatomic Crown instead, and use the Attachment tool to add a hole in the insert direction.

two ways to get the same thing.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Scanning the abutment sucks. Never seems to get the same fit, but the laser scanners dont do well on titanium. I need to try some of that new scan powder Ive been hearing about.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
the second one I've ever done as far as screw retained. Everything else for me has been cementable for all these years.
:eek:

It is the total opposite for me!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I only ride'em. I don't know what makes them work.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
If you are scanning an abutment, then select a crown as the restoration. You can add a screw hole in the attachment selection .
This makes a lot of sense, I will try this out thanks! Figured it wouldn't be as complicated as I thought haha.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Scanning the abutment sucks. Never seems to get the same fit, but the laser scanners dont do well on titanium. I need to try some of that new scan powder Ive been hearing about.
I agree.
Scanning the titanium abutment or even worse, a ti base is too in accurate for me.
It's like going to MacDonalds ,
once in a while but not everyday.

There you go, eating those negative calories again.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Scanning the abutment sucks. Never seems to get the same fit,

Scanning the titanium abutment or even worse, a ti base is too in accurate for me.
This is definitely not my experience. The restorations fit quite well over scanned Ti abutments or Ti bases. The only problem I have is the limitation of my 4axis milling machine. As soon as the abutments get divergent, I have to outsource to a friend, with a 5axis milling machine.

But I have to confess, too, I do not have experience with virtual ti bases or abutments... :eek: Most of my implant cases are still analog.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This is definitely not my experience. The restorations fit quite well over scanned Ti abutments or Ti bases. The only problem I have is the limitation of my 4axis milling machine. As soon as the abutments get divergent, I have to outsource to a friend, with a 5axis milling machine.

But I have to confess, too, I do not have experience with virtual ti bases or abutments... :eek: Most of my implant cases are still analog.
It could be my fast actin Tinactin but I find the margins can be a bit wonky.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
why?
scan bodies are better and my feet don't stink.
because for one, talc is a carcinogen.

and for two, you get better results so that you can do the above application without problematic fits.all for like an extra 20$ on the bottle of spray.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
I do it both ways... with scanbody, or just scan the ti bases. I like it more with the scanbody, less work with scanning... but scanning the ti bases are ok too. We just had to figure out the cement gap for different bases...
That foot spray is crap, sorry... you can use a much better spray that is for scanning... BUT last year we bought the famous Snow Scan Powder... and it is amazing. The price was about 10 sprays, but using it for a year now, and almost nothing is missing from it. I don't think the brush will last as long as the powder :)