Thoughts on overseas outsourcing?

doug

doug

Reaction score
In Florida we have to provide point of origin for our materials used to the dentist. Oddly, the dentists aren't required to provide that same information to their patients.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
In Florida we have to provide point of origin for our materials used to the dentist. Oddly, the dentists aren't required to provide that same information to their patients.
Unbelievable, guess we know who lobby's better. Sad s#it!!

Chiolo C

Chiolo C

Reaction score
As a guy who had been working for D*G/D*S in China, and N*X in Vietnam,

Maybe i can give some advice.

a,preparation, Both you and your partner need FDA reg number for custom clearance.

It's not complicated for a US lab to register FDA, in 2020 FDA charge 5236 USD for annual fee, and would increase a little bit in every year. You should concern this in spending.

b, the turn around time normally would be 7-10 days (shipping by UPS/FEDEX),

2 days transport from US to Asia , 3~4 days productive time,1 day transport from Asia to US, and 1 day preparing shipment and invoice to clinic. May need 1~2 more days if you want double check the production.
For international trading i suggest you to use UPS, Fedex has trouble frequently in custom clearance. But for domestic transport, UPS is crappy.

c, About the transport fee,
there is no advantage to do outsourcing if you have only sevral cases in every shipment. When the quantity rise to 20 case ,the transport fee will reduce to 3~5 USD per every case. The big net lab groups could have 800~2000 cases in every parcel, and the transport cost would as low as 1 USD per case.
Usually 7-8 fixed case weight 1kg, 2-3 removable cases weight 1kg. You can make calculating by your self.

d,The general price you would receive.
15-25USD for PFM
30-40USD for full contour Zr
40-55USD for layered Zr or E-max
30-50USD for Arcylic denture
20-40USD for Co Cr framework
I suggest that don't only search for low price,
steady quality and delivery on time are more important.

It's not so easy like 2010s to do outsourcing business in the traditional way nowadays, but still could earn margins if you are good in operating.
Many outsourcing net labs start investing in mill centres, which could save turn around time, and made in USA!
Hoping This Helps

Last edited:
aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
The turnaround time would be an issue for sending out work overseas. Most dentists I know want the finished case back tomorrow. I outsource some work to a local lab. Not everything I get back is perfect, but they are reliable and do good work. I can't imagine the headaches sending work overseas.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I certainly could be wrong but I don’t think you’re going to find anyone here that’s sending work overseas, and if they are they probably aren’t going to admit it in this thread. Maybe you’ll hear from someone via PM. No ones been that brave since Tom Moore left us, may he rest in piecework.
I thought about Mr. Moore when I saw this thread, then I wondered if when denture techs go to heaven they are handed a sack of models for an immediate denture with two teeth on each upper and lower and told to "pick the best ones, and do the best you can; it's due tomorrow."

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I thought about Mr. Moore when I saw this thread, then I wondered if when denture techs go to heaven they are handed a sack of models for an immediate denture with two teeth on each upper and lower and told to "pick the best ones, and do the best you can; it's due tomorrow."
I have to disagree, what you're describing is if you went to hell. In Heaven everything would be perfect, impressions, contoured baseplates, plenty of vertical, etc, etc...

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I have to disagree, what you're describing is if you went to hell. In Heaven everything would be perfect, impressions, contoured baseplates, plenty of vertical, etc, etc...
Lol, you mean what we have already :) I hope digital can live up to the hype in the future, from what I'm reading it has a way to go. As for outsourcing, if the work doesn't fit you will have to go to a lot of trouble to get a repair or redo if sent overseas.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I imagine most overseas outsourcing probably has to do with design services today.
It really doesn't matter if the files are sent to the back room or Timbuctoo if the design is what you want.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I imagine most overseas outsourcing probably has to do with design services today.
It really doesn't matter if the files are sent to the back room or Timbuctoo if the design is what you want.
Don't be makin' no negative waves, man. Think beeeutiful thoughts about that bridge.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I am exploring this and have had a few overseas labs reach out to me about partnering but don't think I want to do it. Can people share their experiences with overseas labs and the process?
Dumb idea!!!
Some of the old timer members on here know how many battles and wars that I've been involved with on this subject. Heck, even stood up in a crowd of over a thousand technicians in Chicago and literally called anyone who shipped overseas "a slut to the dental lab industry" (that got a little tense). Why am I so passionate about it?...pretty simple concept. If you truly love this profession then why arn't you teaching it to that unemployed neighbor, or curious person who happens to stop by. I can't get past the idea that if you really are passionate about this industry then why in the world wouldn't you teach it and show others? Oh but Rob, business wise it's so much easier for others to make it...that's a half-baked, southern-fried, lame-ass excuse and the truth isn't in you if you really do believe that. The fastest growing, best labs out there are the ones who can teach there techs the best/fastest. Sorry, but I have no respect for lazy people...and outsourcing overseas is just straight up laziness. Get Better or Stay Home!!!...that's my tough love for the day.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
That's when you ask the customer, do you want cheap, or do you want quality? You can't have both!

M

MasterTiv

Reaction score
You wont get the product you want to get.
Thats cause you dont do it.
One of the big problems with China is that they are so HARD to understand and they have a HARD time with understanding you.
Most of the labs there are hundreds of techs in different type of levels. sometimes you will get excellent job, sometimes this job need repair for 2 or 3 times and you dont have the time to send it back or to fix it yourself.
The only thing I sourcing out is Digital designs in exocad that I can repair myself.

Hope I helped. Good luck :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Faster, Better, Cheaper. Select Any Two.