Lets talk Ivoclar's new prices for zirconia discs...

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Recently, Ivoclar adjusted its prices for the various zirconia discs upwards, b quite.a bit! For example, a 16mm Multi MT costs now $230.-, when not too long ago it was about $160,-, depending on the discount you had with them. I assume the same goes for other consumables. Haven't checked in detail, though.

I am interested in your opinion.

M

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Just confirmed that on my end too, on the online store. That price is nuts.
I wish Argen would finally get their HT+ Multilayer discs out. I'll probably use that to replace the MT Multi.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
In Jan 2021 I paid, without the discount price:
124.78 for 5 piece of emax press HT A1. Now it's 122.28
56.03 for a 1mm Mini mill Basic bur. Now it's 54.91.

With just with those 2 examples, it seems they increased the price on the bigger selling, higher volume products?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Is Ivoclar going to start selling finished work direct to dentists cheaper than you can buy the discs, just saying...
I think the manufacturers have us labs in a check mate situation, we can't do the work without their product... I see a trend starting.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I would think that the market for zirconia discs would be really competitive? Unless their material is head and shoulders above the rest, won’t people just switch?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Is Ivoclar going to start selling finished work direct to dentists cheaper than you can buy the discs, just saying...
I think the manufacturers have us labs in a check mate situation, we can't do the work without their product... I see a trend starting.
Ivoclar has been selling directly to the dentist for years. They sell tons of ceramic and composite blocks for in house milling systems. So, nothing new there. But is they are developing a different strategy? I do not know.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Ivoclar has been selling directly to the dentist for years. They sell tons of ceramic and composite blocks for in house milling systems. So, nothing new there. But is they are developing a different strategy? I do not know.
I think covid was a wakeup and what the manufacturers saw /see as an opportunity in the disguise of"blame covid". Not sure there's going to be a way out of this unless we all buy stock in a manufaturer who will guarantee they will have the lab techs interests in mind. I'm usually not an alarmist, but as misguided to their own interests as the manufacturers are right now, I think they are going to stick it to us.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I would think that the market for zirconia discs would be really competitive? Unless their material is head and shoulders above the rest, won’t people just switch?
That is what I thought, too. I personally like the ZirCad Multi MT discs, but there are good alternatives and their discs have been on the higher price side, already. That I had my fair share of problems with the ZirCad Prime is well documented, here on DLN.

From what I gather, it is corporate strategy to equalize the prices world wide, disregarding local markets.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I think covid was a wakeup and what the manufacturers saw /see as an opportunity in the disguise of"blame covid". Not sure there's going to be a way out of this unless we all buy stock in a manufaturer who will guarantee they will have the lab techs interests in mind. I'm usually not an alarmist, but as misguided to their own interests as the manufacturers are right now, I think they are going to stick it to us.
I guess time will tell. But they will definitely pass along higher production costs and use high demand and short supply to increase their prices (not just Ivoclar). And that is not just in dental. We will have a period of inflation coming soon. Hopefully we, the techs, do the same, pass along the higher costs to our clients, ie the dentists!

I think the fallout of the whole Covid situation is yet to come. I kinda feel we are living in a bubble that is about to burst.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I just had to re-order a " Natural Die Kit" 799.99, what a price, like $100 a cartridge almost. Came with a shade guide for ND, great bonus. Holly Molly, should have bought 2 as next time will be $1899.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
It's a necessary evil. Although there are other products where you paint the die a certain stump shade, Natural Die trys to imitate through light transmission of a prepared tooth as opposed to Zero transmission in a painted die. Only company to yet produce hence the price. 🙄

B

Bryce D

Reaction score
Ivoclair sells china emax ingots cheaper than America you can buy them cheaper from China than from ivoclair, cutting there owen throats .

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Ivoclair sells china emax ingots cheaper than America you can buy them cheaper from China than from ivoclair, cutting there owen throats .
How do you know they are actually Ivoclar ingots and not a Chinese knock-off?

B

Bryce D

Reaction score
How do you know they are actually Ivoclar ingots and not a Chinese knock-off?
They are identical not a knock off Im not the only one to figure it out maybe there are knock offs but the ones I order aren't . The product is cheaper the labor is cheaper now compete with that !!!

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
I'm definitely making a switch then. Anyone tried Upcera?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It's a necessary evil. Although there are other products where you paint the die a certain stump shade, Natural Die trys to imitate through light transmission of a prepared tooth as opposed to Zero transmission in a painted die. Only company to yet produce hence the price. 🙄

For veneers I could see how that would be very helpful, especially when the Drs give us a prep shade. But for full contour, or layered crowns, it's still cheaper and easier for me to use prep shade die spacer.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Denture teeth went up as well.

Edit: Blueline went up $1.00 a card. Phonares went up $2.00 a card anterior and posterior.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'm thinking over the years they've lost a lot of revenue from emax sales to other vendors zirconia, as well as to GC LiSi. Now they're trying to compensate for it?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Just confirmed that on my end too, on the online store. That price is nuts.
I wish Argen would finally get their HT+ Multilayer discs out. I'll probably use that to replace the MT Multi.

Have you tried Beyond + Multi? Been getting those from my local for the more popular shades for a few weeks now. I really like the results I’m seeing. Especially A3, 3.5, C’s.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Have you tried Beyond + Multi? Been getting those from my local for the more popular shades for a few weeks now. I really like the results I’m seeing. Especially A3, 3.5, C’s.

I tried a test sinter of the A2, but at that time I wasn't thinking of switching so I really didn't follow up with it.

Edit: part of my concern for the last 6 months is to try to work with as much of Argen's zirconia as I can, in case my mill goes down I'll know exactly who to send to and why, including milled emax. If I ever get another mill (5 axis) then I won't feel as compelled to limit myself. But they do make some nice zirconia :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom