Are we being eliminated?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That‘s why no dentists or medical doctor from overseas can come and practice dentistry /medical unless they go through dental/ medical school, this way you control the flow and education Standard. If you call this big brother big sister! I don’t know what say, I heard the same complaints since early seventies and counting.
for me I alway believe in education and this passed to my kids, I am grateful
but dental labs from overseas can gobble up our work. LOL
come on now, youre not comparing similar things

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
the "professional" organizations that lobby on our behalf do a complete sh*t job at it and you want to give them more power to oversee our affairs? nah, im out
I am talking about a new approach

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I am talking about a new approach
im game for a new approach that doesnt continue to drive up costs of doing business. the federal gov handles that just fine on their own.
a new governing body to replace the current sham that actually represents us and not their own interests would be great...but historically is a pipedream

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
My parents instilled education in me, and as a good kid I got my bachelors from a reputable school and talk about a total left turn from my slated career path. That degree isn't worth the frame it's sitting in for what I do today (cue the talk about the intangibles I learned etc). A two year program isn't going to dissolve the years of hard work I put into my career from scratch- apprenticeships, continuing ed, and countless hours of personal study... you're saying that someone can teach that on a white board and fluffy co-ops? Sure, we have CDT/ MDT accreditations in our field, but it's all relative, as is education. If you study art at RISD, doesn't mean you're taking business from good ol' self taught Van Gogh. If one tries to capitalize on standardizing the skills of dental tech industry, they'll be herding cats and kicking beehives...

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
And off shore business in China? I won't be surprised if that comes full circle with the rate trade relations are going right now, as a result from their own governmental rift surrounding Hong Kong. I'm not saying it'll totally cease to exist (off shore business for dental),but I'm sure there will be a political paradigm shift at some point.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I am happy with what I do now, that is why I suggest to my boys long ago not to be lab techs.
I am not saying studying history or Philosophy or else are bad choosing but to chose a study and a Profession that can put food on the table on this Competitive world we live in now.

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
im not a fan of suggesting more government intervention to "fix" anything pertaining to our industry. its up to us.

if youre not suggesting big brother step in to regulate things, what are you suggesting?
I am a fan of current laws and regulations being enforced where a dentist can't take the day off while their assistants continue to take impressions, bites, seat, adjust, treatment plan, fill out work orders, and leave on the desk for a signature the next morning.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I am a fan of current laws and regulations being enforced where a dentist can't take the day off while their assistants continue to take impressions, bites, seat, adjust, treatment plan, fill out work orders, and leave on the desk for a signature the next morning.
It would be nice if they were enforced. But that is an every day occurrence.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Try nosing the regulations with the Board of Pharmacy and your ass is O-U-T.
Same for Board of Cosmetology and Board of Medicine.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Not bad for a Profession that was done by the dentist a while ago.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
that varies state by state. but i agree for the most part

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I guess I have a conscience, I think "What if it was my mom?" who got the $9,000 treatment plan from a girl who cant't remeber the concept of priming a VPS gun.

But then again, I always was a sucker. Working double shifts, trying to make a case perfect, taking away time with the family, doing stuff for free to be the nice guy.

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Sorry I went off the hinges a little. I've watched an honorable Profession turn into Money Making Scheme...for some. I hope the younger generation have a chance to turn it around.
Donald Duck Money GIF

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
To a certain degree, we are being eliminated but to be fair, it's not like anything that hasn't been done before. Let me explain, Henry Ford developed the 'assembly line', tons of workers doing one or two jobs on the line. Now the robots do most of it. We see the same in our industry...to an extent. I think you could say we have more pressure to adapt than they did back then because we are getting hammered by big companies getting into our lab industry. Then the manufactures deciding, we can play lab guy too. On top of that, add in the expansion of chairside services has taken a lot of lab work out of the labs. It's a massive trifecta and we are holding the losing ticket. Unless, you get off your arse and diversify, show how valuable you are and market that to the current business client. This transition will take time, maybe even decades, but it will happen. Where will you be when the dust clears?

Funny you mention Ford, I was just talking about this today.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad profession for whomever likes this kinda stuff, but sadly it turned into a numbers game. I know many guys past retirement age still pulling long hours, burned out, with health issues...and less and less satisfaction and/or acknowledgment.. I would never want to see myself being in their shoes. Would not recommend this profession to the next generation to come, period. I'd prolly choose something else for myself too, if I could turn back time. Don't take me wrong, this career was good for me professionally and financially, I'll semi-retire this summer at 45...working exclusively on my terms, from that point on. I got enough passive income to do nothing, but doing dental for the last twenty years kinda grew on me Stupid My other businesses, which I started as side gigs, really picked up, one particular, will most likely grow ad-infinitum ...given I got free resources and there's zero competition for a sizeable geographic area around me. I hope some family member will step up to manage, so I can just do things I truly like, tucked away in the jungle. And there's Bitcoin and other crypto's, ready when dollars will hyper-inflate... given the never ending quantitative easing's what is currently going on.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry I went off the hinges a little. I've watched an honorable Profession turn into Money Making Scheme...for some. I hope the younger generation have a chance to turn it around.
Donald Duck Money GIF
there arent many from the younger generations that are joining this profession, its sad really

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Every profession/ industry has become more impersonal in some way.
Doctors no longer make house calls. Your check up is done over the phone or zoom. Who has time to see a patient.
Shopping is done online including groceries. Someone else selects your carrots and apples now.
We no longer call our friends and loved ones when a text will do. Phone calls are so intrusive.

The younger generation has become desensitized towards others. It's no wonder our craft of the past has become a commodity of the present.
We are called " the lab" instead of dental technicians. It's much easier to assign blame to an entity than a person. have a problem, find another lab.
" no news is good news" is our mantra after the case is delivered.

We can bitch and moan but it appears to be a sign of the times.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad profession for whomever likes this kinda stuff, but sadly it turned into a numbers game. I know many guys past retirement age still pulling long hours, burned out, with health issues...and less and less satisfaction and/or acknowledgment.. I would never want to see myself being in their shoes. Would not recommend this profession to the next generation to come, period. I'd prolly choose something else for myself too, if I could turn back time. Don't take me wrong, this career was good for me professionally and financially, I'll semi-retire this summer at 45...working exclusively on my terms, from that point on. I got enough passive income to do nothing, but doing dental for the last twenty years kinda grew on me Stupid My other businesses, which I started as side gigs, really picked up, one particular, will most likely grow ad-infinitum ...given I got free resources and there's zero competition for a sizeable geographic area around me. I hope some family member will step up to manage, so I can just do things I truly like, tucked away in the jungle. And there's Bitcoin and other crypto's, ready when dollars will hyper-inflate... given the never ending quantitative easing's what is currently going on.

I don't recommend this profession to anyone either. Dental technology is very interesting work and can be financially rewarding, but it's definitely not for everyone. My first 10 years were tough financially and was considering leaving before things got much better. If I could turn back time I probably would have chosen the electrician course in college that I also applied for.

Top Bottom