Investment Materials for FGC

A

arnold

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondering what some of your recommendations are for full gold crown investment materials. I am currently using Sherafina 2000. It is a wonderful investment material for substructures, so no complaints there. Gold restorations however, tend to come out fairly rough and takes a bit of work in terms of finishing. My expectation is to see a smooth surface (as per waxup) after it has been cast.

Also, do you treat your wax patterns for gold casting with something before investing it?

Thanks!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Well, I just use Whipmix Fastfire and it works okay. I smooth my wax ups with a piece of nylon stocking. In the old days we used Cera Fina investment for gold crowns and it comes out really smooth but I don’t know if it’s strong enough to use without metal rings.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Creme Press! I can cast And press with it. Keeps inventory down in the lab.
I have spoken to some that told me they can’t the expansion on base type alloys.
Not a problem here. Only use the real thing...56% au for FC, and 40/40% ceramic.
Also use their Smooth Kast debub. Fast burnout or slow two stage.
They used to send out samples, give them a call! 6807401F-7480-4738-9D3B-B8CC1A9BB9A1.jpeg

A

arnold

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, will look into these options and see. I will keep this post updated on findings in case a future person is interested. Another question perhaps: Does anyone have experience with Whipmix Beauty-Cast, Cristobalite or Novocast?

doug

doug

Reaction score
I use Beauty Cast for years. Always happy with the results.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
With one of those older systems, didn't one of them, Luster cast, also use the hydroscopic technique?
But my goodness, those would come out so clean and semi polished looking when devesting them.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, will look into these options and see. I will keep this post updated on findings in case a future person is interested. Another question perhaps: Does anyone have experience with Whipmix Beauty-Cast, Cristobalite or Novocast?

If you want the cleanest and best result that is solely geared for gold crowns, I would willingly go back to one of those (Beauty Cast) investments using a metal ring and liner. Otherwise, I'm using Microstar for all my castings.

C

charles007

Reaction score
With one of those older systems, didn't one of them, Luster cast, also use the hydroscopic technique?
But my goodness, those would come out so clean and semi polished looking when devesting them.
Yep, Whip Mix had a hydrobath to use with Beauty Cast and when that unit burned up we placed in a plaster bowl of room temp water. Years later investments were made to use with all alloys.

C

charles007

Reaction score
The nice advantages of Beauty Cast, crowns came out silky smoother and shiny and devesting took seconds. The disadvantage is sometimes you would get flash, but never a problem. Kind of surprised Beauty is still on the market.

doug

doug

Reaction score
The hygroscopic technique was to bring the wax back to the expanded state when doing direct(in the mouth) FGP wax-ups. We had one doctor in 1973 who still did them that way. Crazy to think that they thought it was a good idea. Pain in the ass.

C

corybaby

Reaction score
We use Microstar for EVERYTHING.....have for years now..Pressing, NP, Full gold and the ratios are all the same except i use a little more water for a snugger fit on gold crowns,(i cant believe drs still want gold crowns??) castings are clean and dense
I use an alcohol based de-bub, completely blown off with air (dry wax-up) and go ringless. We use a pressure pot but works good w/o too
good luck
gold work is an artform