Zirconia stain recommendations

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
Although I have been using them since I started working with emax, I don't like the original emax shade pastes, particularly on monolithic zirconia. They do not apply evenly and I see small particles after firing. I like and use the Empress Universal shade pastes whenever possible. I have also tried the GC Luster paste kit, but I sometimes need to fire emax porcelain on the facial or add to contacts. The two firing programs do not work well together.

So I am seeking suggestions from the DLN community on what works well on monolithic zirconia, what works well with emax porcelains on pressed emax copings (internal or external application) and what might also work on shade corrections for PFMs using dsign porcelains. Basically I am seeking a stain kit that works well on everything and all situations! Asking too much? I hope not. I am a small lab (1 person) and don't have disposable funds to buy into multiple systems. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

K

KIM

Reaction score
Although I have been using them since I started working with emax, I don't like the original emax shade pastes, particularly on monolithic zirconia. They do not apply evenly and I see small particles after firing. I like and use the Empress Universal shade pastes whenever possible. I have also tried the GC Luster paste kit, but I sometimes need to fire emax porcelain on the facial or add to contacts. The two firing programs do not work well together.

So I am seeking suggestions from the DLN community on what works well on monolithic zirconia, what works well with emax porcelains on pressed emax copings (internal or external application) and what might also work on shade corrections for PFMs using dsign porcelains. Basically I am seeking a stain kit that works well on everything and all situations! Asking too much? I hope not. I am a small lab (1 person) and don't have disposable funds to buy into multiple systems. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
InSync Stain & Glaze! Am I biased? yes so I will keep it brief as this isn't on our sponsor page but I'd let others chime in to get their feedback the product. Let me know if you want more info.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

Ivoclar has the answer, and since you are using e.max, Empress, d.sign, and zirconia you should try it. It is called Ivocolor. It is our truly universal stain and glaze system. It was developed to go on all of our tooth colored ceramic products (d.sign, inLine, Style, Empress, e.maxPress, e.maxCAD, e.max ZirCAD). In fact it will eventually take the place of all the other systems' stains and glazes.

It also fires at a much lower temperature for most systems. Empress, Style, e.maxPress, e.maxCAD, e.max ZirCAD all glaze at 710C. inLine and d.sign fire around 830C.

Similar system to the e.max Ceram shades, stains, and glaze, but has a different glass component that fires lower. Also has the Essence powders like the Ceram system that can be used as characterization stains or porcelain modifiers for custom dentin/incisal shades.

let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

(edited for grammar :confused:)

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
Ivoclar has the answer, and since you are using e.max, Empress, d.sign, and zirconia you should try it. It is called Ivocolor. It is our truly universal stain and glaze system. It was developed to go on all of our tooth colored ceramic products (d.sign, inLine, Style, Empress, e.maxPress, e.maxCAD, e.max ZirCAD). In fact it will eventually take the place of all the other systems' stains and glazes.

It also fires at a much lower temperature for most systems. Empress, Style, e.maxPress, e.maxCAD, e.max ZirCAD all glaze at 710C. inLine and d.sign fire around 830C.

Similar system to the e.max Ceram shades, stains, and glaze, but has a different glass component that fires lower. Also has the Essence powders like the Ceram system that can be used as characterization stains or porcelain modifiers for custom dentin/incisal shades.

let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

(edited for grammar :confused:)
Hello Sir--

I found your response to my query back in 2017 on the same topic.

You may be able to answer these questions about the Ivocolor product. Is it used like the MiYO system, where the glaze is applied to the surface and then the stain is blended into the glaze layer?

Can the Ivocolor stains be used by themselves for surface staining monolithic zirconia, fire and then apply the glaze when the correct shade is achieved? Does it have the consistency of the Empress Universal shade pastes or is it like the emax Ceram shade pastes? I find the emax Ceram shade pastes have little flecks of dark material that are visible after firing. It also does not apply as smoothly as the Empress Universal shade pastes. I don't want to buy into a system that has the same properties as the emax Ceram pastes.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Hello Sir--

I found your response to my query back in 2017 on the same topic.

You may be able to answer these questions about the Ivocolor product. Is it used like the MiYO system, where the glaze is applied to the surface and then the stain is blended into the glaze layer?

Can the Ivocolor stains be used by themselves for surface staining monolithic zirconia, fire and then apply the glaze when the correct shade is achieved? Does it have the consistency of the Empress Universal shade pastes or is it like the emax Ceram shade pastes? I find the emax Ceram shade pastes have little flecks of dark material that are visible after firing. It also does not apply as smoothly as the Empress Universal shade pastes. I don't want to buy into a system that has the same properties as the emax Ceram pastes.

Hello,

Ivocolor is a versatile system. It can be used many ways for many things. Yes, you can apply the glaze to the restoration and then blend the shades or stains into it and fire. You can also apply shades and stains, do a firing to set everything and then glaze. You can mix the shades and stains into the glaze to create colored glazes. Like the e.max essence the Ivocolor Essence is a powder as well that you mix with liquid before applying and can be mixed with a variety of liquids depending on whether you want to apply them internally as you are stacking (mix with build-up liquid or water) or when mixed with it's mixing liquid it can be kept in a stain pallet and used for shading a staining as normal.

It has an ultra low firing temp when used on all ceramic restorations (zirconia, e.max, empress, etc.) of 710C so you can mix and match the restorations going into a glaze cycle. When firing on Metal ceramics, you raise the firing temp to about 30 degrees below the normal firing temp of the glaze you would normally use, with a max temp for Ivocolor of about 830C. While we only test it on our materials, there is no reason it can't be used with competitor products.

The consistency of the mixed shade and glaze pastes is different than both empress and e.max. Ivocolor is much thicker (meaning you get more product -instead of water-in the same weight of material). this means you will have to dilute it prior to use. You can leave the glaze a little thicker to easily add to a contact or adjust a line angle, and unlike e.max Ceram and empress glaze, it does not have the tendency to get a milky haze when applied too thick.

I find that the Ivocolor goes on very smoothly without the graininess that some people find in e.max Ceram stains.

It does take a couple days to get used to getting the right consistency, but once you do I think you will really like the material. Yes, I work for Ivoclar, but even if I didn't, I would tell you it's the nicest, most versatile stain and glaze system I've used in my 33 years in the lab.

I hope this helps.

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick for your perspective. Sounds like a system I can use.

Top Bottom