Reline Suggestions

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I have a Dr who is having retention problems with 2 patients. Both have had problems keeping a maxillary denture in since day one.
Both have previously had PVS impressions and then Ivocap relines, didn't help. So then she put them in hydrocast for a couple of weeks, which they had retention while they were in hydrocast. A week or so after we Ivocap relined again no retention. But they had retention the day it was delivered. They both have dry mouths'. Any suggestions?

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
Dry mouth is a major problem with dentures. The Dr can try placing relines at same time of day that impressions were taken but if they were retentive when placed but loose a few days later, dry mouth. Dr can suggest wetting tissue side of denture with Biotene or other wetting agents when pt places them at home but the severity of the dryness is different with different pts. It might help or it might not. It sounds like the issue is not reline materials or technique but the dry mouth. DRY MOUTH SUCKS!

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
You could try without a post dam. Do you see any palatal crevices that run past the soft palate?

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. I'll pass on the biotene suggestion since both patients say no to implants.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Since this is a thread about reline I have a question. Dentsply no longer makes Triad Dualiner. Is there another dual cure or just light cure pink reline material available?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Since this is a thread about reline I have a question. Dentsply no longer makes Triad Dualiner. Is there another dual cure or just light cure pink reline material available?
Astron LC hard reline
They make a soft one too.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Suction chamber on the palate? Has the Dr tried a soft liner? That will fill the gaps to at least test in the mouth, then you can use that to reline.. I have a Dr that requests a palatal suction chamber on every case and it can help if the borders arent sealing.. Sounds like the postdam isnt deep enough maybe?

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Suction chamber on the palate? Has the Dr tried a soft liner? That will fill the gaps to at least test in the mouth, then you can use that to reline.. I have a Dr that requests a palatal suction chamber on every case and it can help if the borders arent sealing.. Sounds like the postdam isnt deep enough maybe?
Instead of a soft liner she uses hydrocast which the patient wears for a couple of weeks, and they have good retention with it, it's just a little while after we do the injection reline that they lose retention. We've tried no post dam, extra deep post dam, beading the border. We haven't tried a suction chamber, that may be worth looking into.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Its not a cure all, but the Dr says it it does help. I think some people foil the model, but I just cut out a triangular border on the deepest part of the palate, then remove inside the border about 2-2.5mm. If nothing else works its worth a try, like RKM says, time for some minis...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm half out to lunch, so if this is silly ignore it, but:
Have you ever tried to have them moisten their denture, just run it under water and not dry it or shake it before they put it in?

Usually my understanding is xerostomia being super dry mouth that the saliva isn't there to form a seal. I'm really wondering if they are keeping it in water at all.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm half out to lunch, so if this is silly ignore it, but:
Have you ever tried to have them moisten their denture, just run it under water and not dry it or shake it before they put it in?

Usually my understanding is xerostomia being super dry mouth that the saliva isn't there to form a seal. I'm really wondering if they are keeping it in water at all.

For someone who is stepping back, you sure went to a lot of work here. Thank you.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Proper border molding and function/occlusion/denture adhesive, otherwise bologna or implants;)
Two weeks in hydrocast which is functional and tissue conditioning didn't help a bit.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
Id try mid palatal foil relief to try and increase suction potential... worth a try.
ive even scribed a peripheral seal across the entire buccal border on cases to try and increase suction, some of these can be rather difficult to get a win on! a stone model isnt always the best reflection of the soft tissue environment

Last edited:
Top Bottom