Roland MDX-50

C

cosmetic1

Reaction score
I really need help. First of all, can you mill from the stl file created with exocad with Roland MDX50? If so, do you need a special cam soft for that, or is it possible with the included cam soft? Actually, I tried to mill with Roland MDX50 from STL output from the attached SRP Plyer, but the machine does not work well. I can't afford to buy a another dental mill just updated. If anyone is actually working with this machine, I would love to hear your advice.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I really need help. First of all, can you mill from the stl file created with exocad with Roland MDX50? If so, do you need a special cam soft for that, or is it possible with the included cam soft? Actually, I tried to mill with Roland MDX50 from STL output from the attached SRP Plyer, but the machine does not work well. I can't afford to buy a another dental mill just updated. If anyone is actually working with this machine, I would love to hear your advice.
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

What do you mean 'does not work well'?
What issue(s) are you having?
What else were you designing with that you proposed exocad as the issue?
Do you know what CAM and what version of it you have?

The CAM should not care what makes the STL as long as it's one that can be milled in the first place.
(not picking at you, everyone's had issues with tooth placement in a puck from time to time)

C

cosmetic1

Reaction score
What I am asking is not a general question. Can this milling machine actually be used?  The other sample 3d models can be completed without any problems, but the ones designed with exocad do not go at all.
I Designed simple coping with exocad, the shape is completely formed on the included SRP Plyers camsoft, but the milling machine behaves completely differently and finishes without doing anything.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Good morning cosmetic1,

Every open mill software should accept STL files just fine. Your Mill is just receiving the movement instructions from the CAM output from the nesting software.

Depending on your CAM software, it should be able to accept not only the STL file from Exocad but the .constructioninfo file that has all of the restoration's specifics and parameters. Most CAM software can import the crown through this and pre-mark the margin, screw channels, etc.

- Josh

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
You mean DWX-50? I have 2 of them and they mill any kind of STL FILES. I am not getting what is the problem here? Are you designing it as a zirconia coping or other material in the design software? Because that can make a big difference.
Please explain .

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I you got the 4th axis and some sort of puck holder it should be able to mill a crown no problem. It largely depends on your CAM, how can it handle the given geometry you're feeding it with. Might have to tinker with your strategies to make it work, might want to take look at deskproto as well. It has support for your mill, free tryout and it is quite cheapo to buy.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The SRP player is way to basic IMO, that's why you are having issues cutting a crown.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
I just realized that You've been saying MDX50. This is a CNC mill, I don't believe it's made for accepting 98mm pucks of zirconia, etc. There could be a holder for discs, but you should probably consider a machine more geared towards Dental work. If you mean the DWX, then there should be no problems at all unless your CAM nesting software is being problematic

C

cosmetic1

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, I already have a PDI ROUND material holder, but I think it's still a long way to go to the next stage. Just knowing that the problem was cam soft made progress. Thank you.

C

cosmetic1

Reaction score
I was finally able to cut it using Deskproto. For the time being, the spindle moved as it appears on the screen. I'm still not good at my settings, so I can't do what I expected, but I'll report when I can research and do well.
Thank you

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I was finally able to cut it using Deskproto. For the time being, the spindle moved as it appears on the screen. I'm still not good at my settings, so I can't do what I expected, but I'll report when I can research and do well.
Thank you
They have good support and a user forum if you need help ;)

C

cosmetic1

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. After that, I broke many cutters and used many discs. Finally, good crowns can be cut continuously. By the way, I'm using deskproto now, but if I upgrade to hyperdent etc., will nesting be easier?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. After that, I broke many cutters and used many discs. Finally, good crowns can be cut continuously. By the way, I'm using deskproto now, but if I upgrade to hyperdent etc., will nesting be easier?
Nesting will be much easier, toolpaths more efficient. Question is: if Hyperdent has a post written for your mill ? If not, you could look into Fusion360 or MadCAM...

C

cosmetic1

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your valuable information. If I keep going like this, I will be a real machinist. It's been hard for the last three months, but I've had a lot of fun. Thank you again.

C

cosmetic1

Reaction score
Update
After that, we used the newly developed ZR triple disc pack as a 4th axis unit. This eliminates the need to frequently change discs of different sizes. You can continuously mill crowns of different sizes at once.

Attachments

• IMG_6259[1].JPG
    IMG_6259[1].JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 19
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
sequentially

its more than splitting hairs, theres a real difference.

you have one spindle, it works on one disc at a time, in order.

if you had 3 spindles operating independently, you'd mill all at once.

C

cosmetic1

Reaction score
If anyone has multi-spindle machine its amazing,
What i am saying eliminates the need to frequently change discs for different sizes.

dentexpert

dentexpert

Reaction score
Update
After that, we used the newly developed ZR triple disc pack as a 4th axis unit. This eliminates the need to frequently change discs of different sizes. You can continuously mill crowns of different sizes at once.
Hi,
I'm wondered how is your experience with Roland MODELA MDX-50 Benchtop Milling Machine? Are you only using it for zirconia crowns or any PMMA, WAX? Did you try to mill denture bases?
I 'm thinking of the same setup mainly for PMMA and WAX disks. Currently running DWX-52D on Millbox and I would like to keep it strictly for zirconia.
I started to experiment with digital dentures and I like the Avadent denture base disks. The resin is strong and it is affordable to do the digital denture. The reason I was looking for Roland MDX-50 for PMMA and WAW as don't want to occupy my DWX-52D with this type of job.
I believe 4 axis with tools autochanger can do the job (maybe not for all situations but mostly)

Appreciate your comments and feedback about your experience with Roland MDX-50

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm wondered how is your experience with Roland MODELA MDX-50 Benchtop Milling Machine? Are you only using it for zirconia crowns or any PMMA, WAX? Did you try to mill denture bases?
I 'm thinking of the same setup mainly for PMMA and WAX disks. Currently running DWX-52D on Millbox and I would like to keep it strictly for zirconia.
I started to experiment with digital dentures and I like the Avadent denture base disks. The resin is strong and it is affordable to do the digital denture. The reason I was looking for Roland MDX-50 for PMMA and WAW as don't want to occupy my DWX-52D with this type of job.
I believe 4 axis with tools autochanger can do the job (maybe not for all situations but mostly)

Appreciate your comments and feedback about your experience with Roland MDX-50
If your current milling experience is running a DWX-52D through millbox, you don't want to take on making a non dental mill a dental mill. Pick something made for the job. Unless you just are looking for a big difficult project to take up all of your free time

Top Bottom