Formlabs 2 models

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Show me an example of a 50um model job that changes drastically when you change from the Asiga Model resin to another Model resin- I'm really asking cause I want to understand how drastic the difference is.

People can extrapolate the times based on thickness. Half the layers = approximately half the time. Double the layers = approximately double the amount of time.

I mean take any material that has a different curing time... any material that takes slightly more or less time to cure will have an exponential effect on time. Darker, or more viscous materials might require more curing time before they are solid enough for processing, this might be only a small time difference per layer but would greatly increase over the build time.

Bryce @ WhipMix

Bryce @ WhipMix

Reaction score
I just ran a calculation on my PC. Models printed horizontally on the build plate, nested in 50 micron layers.

WhipMix Verimodel OS Ivory: 53 minutes
Asiga DentaModel: 42 minutes
Asiga DentaCast: 56 minutes
NextDent MFH: 41 minutes

Theses are just a few quick examples that I just ran. 26% difference between the shortest and longest print times I found. I would call that significant.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I just ran a calculation on my PC. Models printed horizontally on the build plate, nested in 50 micron layers.

Theses are just a few quick examples that I just ran. 26% difference between the shortest and longest print times I found. I would call that significant.
You guys need to stop with all this Asiga talk and speeds because one of my techs is reading all this back and forth and getting really excited about me pulling the trigger on a Asiga....lol

Actually, I'm happy we are having this conversation because my tech had me sold on a fkn Carbon last week and I thought I was going to be eating ramen noodles for the next year!!!!

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score

To each their own- to me that’s not so significant when presented in a way that defines the variance:
Build speed: 20mm / hour @50 um layers*
* +/- 3mm / hr based on resin type

Or add complete clarity:
Build speed: 22mm / hour @ 50um layers with XXType resin

What Asiga offers now is no clear definition of the build speed. Why not just present it out by resin type if their afraid being generic is not honest.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
To each their own- to me that’s not so significant when presented in a way that defines the variance:
Build speed: 20mm / hour @50 um layers*
* +/- 3mm / hr based on resin type

Or add complete clarity:
Build speed: 22mm / hour @ 50um layers with XXType resin

What Asiga offers now is no clear definition of the build speed. Why not just present it out by resin type if their afraid being generic is not honest.

I mean a 26% increase or decrease is significant, sure in the real time for this case its only a few minutes but that's not the point, plus your models will always have slight variance based on width and thickness of the materials, plus additions of support structures, internal or external. Also as a consumer for me personally telling me a full tray of quadrant models (lets say 10) will be done within 1 hour, that is the information that is important. Having the speed of mm/hour doesn't seem helpful, seems like I would need to measure out my structures whenever I'm looking at a printer.

Having speed per slice or mm/hour is information you could use but doing it for 3rd party resins, why bother? The majority of printers will have of this is a full tray built in x time with this resin, that's normal but I don't think the addition of mm/hour would give sway to my decision comparing to the standard full build in x time format, but that's just me.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
I mean a 26% increase or decrease is significant, sure in the real time for this case its only a few minutes but that's not the point, plus your models will always have slight variance based on width and thickness of the materials, plus additions of support structures, internal or external.

Are you implying DLP takes longer if the wall thickness is larger? Or that DLP print time increases as support structures are added? I know supports add time as they raise the objects up.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Are you implying DLP takes longer if the wall thickness is larger? Or that DLP print time increases as support structures are added? I know supports add time as they raise the objects up.
I mean depending on the overall structure size and how the printers go about actually curing each layer increased surface area can have an effect on the printing time, laser travel time and all that, its minor but there are a number of tiny factors that will change overall printing time, hence the usual "Full tray in around x hour/s" because it will never be 100% exact every time.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
I mean depending on the overall structure size and how the printers go about actually curing each layer increased surface area can have an effect on the printing time, laser travel time and all that, its minor but there are a number of tiny factors that will change overall printing time, hence the usual "Full tray in around x hour/s" because it will never be 100% exact every time.

Ah, ok your mixing SLA and DLP in the same category. To my knowledge, DLP is consistent- load 1 object @ 15mm tall or 20 objects at 15mm tall the time is the same.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Ah, ok your mixing SLA and DLP in the same category. To my knowledge, DLP is consistent- load 1 object @ 15mm tall or 20 objects at 15mm tall the time is the same.

Yeah sorry that's my mistake I was making more of an overarching statement for 3D printers in general, they will all have factors that change their printing time away from what is stated. Honestly in my experience I always take the advertised printing times with a grain of salt because i have never had one out the box replicate that speed, which isn't to say that's necessarily a deal breaker but if a print that should take 3 hours takes 4 its not the end of the world at this point, because its way faster than it would be in other circumstances.