Medit/exocad Pains

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
my instinct would be to design a virutal gingiva, which is accessible in the db when you click your pontic, beside the material selection theres options, the 3rd option is Design virtual gingiva, and theres drop downs for it: pick either Optional (wizard mode) or Mandatory (wizard mode) or No (expert mode only).

then, after you ensure that mesial of the canine is proper minimum thickness, you can use the virtual gingiva to fill the space with zirconia.

either that or spend time with the sculpt toolkit in freeform mode.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Select wax up pontic for all three of those teeth. Scan wax up select 'no' create virtual wax up. (I think you can avoid the virtual gingiva part and disguise the implant placement with the bridge connectors).
Load the jaw scan, gingiva and antagonist.
Design the crowns like you are waxing up a 3 unit dx to fill that space. Use expert mode to connect them all. Use the connectors and some creative contouring to hide the implants in the embrasures. In exert mode select generate virtual wax up scan. Save the wax up in the original coordinates (first option) in the prompt window.

Restart the case as a wax up case, implant, screw retained. Manually load the virtual wax up as the wax up scan when prompted by the software. You will then go through the regular process of marking the scan markers and designing the abutment bottoms, etc.. Click next, exocad will calculate the wax up to those bottoms.

It's an extra step to make the virtual wax up, but it's way faster/easier than trying to get those teeth to morph over those misplaced implants.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Heya Riley! If you have bad positioning issues like that, it's best to do those as a waxup design (not scanned - unless you have a scannnnnn?) Waxups have a tendency to do less oddball things when the preps don't line up perfectly.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Riley, Another option is to switch to expert and convert the "crowns" into pontics and will turn the project into waxup and they won't adapt wonky to the crown bottoms.. ( you just can't reverse back to crowns , you don't need to anyway..) Then you can move forward and do a gingival design, freeform it, and freeform the merged restoration further if needed. I had to do it with this one...

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Riley, Another option is to switch to expert and convert the "crowns" into pontics and will turn the project into waxup and they won't adapt wonky to the crown bottoms.. ( you just can't reverse back to crowns , you don't need to anyway..) Then you can move forward and do a gingival design, freeform it, and freeform the merged restoration further if needed. I had to do it with this one...

Oooohh Larry! You Sir, are a wizard!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Glad to help! One thing... In my haste making that demo I converted the 2 separate crowns as well!
Actually you would use ctrl and highlight only the centrals, and then right-click. You want to make sure you only pick the units you want to convert to pontics

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Ugh

Different case. three unit bridge. I designed it. milled it, margins and intaglios wide open. Tech support showed that it was designed that way. So I made a new case in DB, chose digital copy mill as restoration types. Loaded original scans and saved stl mesh of previous design. Got to the end of design, did a cutview to see margin and it's still open but not as much. Why is it not sealing to the margin? Any help? I'm just going to redesign the whole thing without doing copy mill and using previous design

1600989744645.png

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Heya Riley!

Don't redesign! This is caused by there being major undercuts over the margin, or a bad path of insertion. If you go to crown bottoms where you change cement gaps, go to the undercuts tab, and turn on the protected zone near margin!

Otherwise the system tries to make the crown seat no matter what. Definitely a setting I don't like, but at least it's an easy fix.

- Josh

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Heya Riley!

Don't redesign! This is caused by there being major undercuts over the margin, or a bad path of insertion. If you go to crown bottoms where you change cement gaps, go to the undercuts tab, and turn on the protected zone near margin!

Otherwise the system tries to make the crown seat no matter what. Definitely a setting I don't like, but at least it's an easy fix.

- Josh

Thanks Josh! I I did the protected zone near margin and it all seems to be closed. Why is this a setting you don't like?
This is my insertion direction i had to start, anything look wrong? At this point it could be absolutely terrible and obvious and I'd have no idea cause I have zero confidence in myself at this point.

1601045747919.png

Last edited:
DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
I don't like that the protected zone isn't always checked haha. The fact that the crown could have a completely wide open margin is bonkers to me.

This one really shouldn't have any type of space there according to undercut/insertion direction. Another possibility is that the "extra spacing" settings are turned up beyond the base .02. Is this the Argen material configuration by chance? They put their cement gap settings under extra spacing since the wording there is closer to 3Shape's. Makes it appear more open even though at seat it *should* be closed

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I don't like that the protected zone isn't always checked haha. The fact that the crown could have a completely wide open margin is bonkers to me.

This one really shouldn't have any type of space there according to undercut/insertion direction. Another possibility is that the "extra spacing" settings are turned up beyond the base .02. Is this the Argen material configuration by chance? They put their cement gap settings under extra spacing since the wording there is closer to 3Shape's. Makes it appear more open even though at seat it *should* be closed
I don't remember seeing a check box by it, just a slider to say how high the zone is.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
uhhh, must just be the slider then. If it's only a slider you can change the default setting to .02 or however wide you want the seal to be. You can find the parameter configuration tool in the exocad install - DentalDB - bin - workparamconfigtool. keep in mind those "."s are actually commas ","s thanks to German decimals, so if you type a period it will throw errors at you.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score

SON OF A ******!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I started this case over and now I can't find the CONVERT TO PONTICS button?!?!?!? You guys, why can't i figure out how to drive exocad?!?! It's like one time an option is there, the next time it can't be found? What do I need to do to get the CONVERT TO PONTIC option to come back in?

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
How did you set up the case this time? When setting up the case in DB, I set the nearby teeth close to the implants as implant crowns , then convert them to pontics in the library placement step by switching to expert mode, then switch back to the wizard and move on. You need to switch to expert mode to get the option, right-click in the background to convert all, or highlight and right-click on the ones you want to convert.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
so here's something I absolutely loath about the medit/exocad scanner. If I want to go back and rescan something after the scan software has been shut down, it erases the occlussion and individual die scans!!! Why???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
so here's something I absolutely loath about the medit/exocad scanner. If I want to go back and rescan something after the scan software has been shut down, it erases the occlussion and individual die scans!!! Why???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk to Medit or your reseller and see if a cache of this data can be set up with Medit software. I can open old cases in DOF software and the data is still there is unless the cache is full and I had to make room for new cases.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Next up on our show...what the heck is the annoying step that won't let me pass? "Jaw Alignment"
with this case. I have imported all the meshes from different cases. I even made an stl a bite to put them all together. Anyways, i have them all imported and I've aligned them all. I hit the next button after the crown bottoms step and it takes me to this puzzle. It wants me to put a "corresponding dot on both objects." Problem is it has the working jaw which I can put dots on, but when I try to load any other mesh I can't put a dot on anything. I'd love to skip this step and move on but it won't let me. What's a guy to do?

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
This is embarassing! I forgot I was an "expert." So i went into Expert Mode and said, "Screw you Fairy Wizard!" Then I just did whatever the heck I wanted to do with that particular case! Y'all just got schooled!!👨‍🏫

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
So I'm doing 4-12. They are veneers. I have a wax up model. I scanned the working model separately. I scanned the stick bite on one jaw in a separate case. I scanned the wax up model as a separate case. I opened the prepped model for designing and loaded the stick bite scan as extra general visualization and loaded the wax up scan as the wax up. They all aligned great. When setting the insertion direction it only wants it as a bridge insertion. I finagled my way through that then when it copies the wax up it keeps the veneers locked together as a bridge. I DO NOT WANT IT TO BE A BRIDGE. I would really like to have them be individual units. Please. What is wrong with this situation? What do I do to use the wax up buy keep them as individual units?
Forced Bridge.png

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Hello again Riley!

In this instance, you imported the entire Waxup as a single scan. What the software sees is that you have (1) waxup. It then tries to adapt this one waxup, to all of the margins. If you were scanning these as individual waxups, then it would have you scan each one separately or every other one together like the dies are done.

If you want this thing to get taken apart, you can edit mesh on the waxup, and use the line from selecting to cut between the interproximals using the "divide" option. With that, wherever the line of the selection tool goes, it cuts through the mesh there. I suggest doing one interproximal at a time.

Once you've cut the waxup apart and cleaned it up (the waxup should only contain what you want to sync to the margin, the bottom should be open and the top free of holes) then once you adapt it to the margins it will have individual crowns.

As one piece the software is not capable of seeing where one tooth starts and the next begins, so it's impossible for it to take a single mesh and divide it between margins.

Hope this helps!

**Edit : great job on keeping with Exocad though, and importing piecemeal what you need, like the bite. Now you can see how easy it is to fix problems that can arise during complicated cases (or cases that dr's make complicated) as opposed to being locked into the railway system that other softwares provide.

- Josh

Top Bottom