Plaster room setup @home

user name

user name

Reaction score
Not really the focus here, but I try to group most of my work. Today is model day. I pour impressions every day, but do bases today and instead of throwing any excess out it gets used to do opposings.
You pay for it, so dont waste it.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If I have any excess stone, I use it to pour the contact models.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Not really the focus here, but I try to group most of my work. Today is model day. I pour impressions every day, but do bases today and instead of throwing any excess out it gets used to do opposings.
You pay for it, so dont waste it.
I would adopt a similar strategy .Most of my clients send scans so I probably can keep trimming to a minimum.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If I have excess stone I scrape it into the garbage can. I also use plastic straws.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions and ideas to set up a plaster sink/trap at home.
The challenge is to design something that will be independent of my septic system.
i'd love to just print but there always seems to be a model to pour.

I have a disposable trap but how do I deal with the slurry?

So... doesn’t the disposable trap deal with the slurry? I’ve been running a 3.5 size trap for over 25 yrs. Change it every three years and it’s maybe half full. This one has been 10mos and only an inch of gunk. One pail may last you till.....
Like the rest say, wipe the bowl and you’ll be fine . I generate a grocery plastic size bag in a week maybe, with paper towels and investment envelopes. And paper towels are now half size too.

B852DAFB-B24E-404B-90AB-0844F6839351.jpeg

user name

user name

Reaction score
When i switched from a wet trimmer to dry, i was staggered by how much my slurry bucket was letting by.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So... doesn’t the disposable trap deal with the slurry? I’ve been running a 3.5 size trap for over 25 yrs. Change it every three years and it’s maybe half full. This one has been 10mos and only an inch of gunk. One pail may last you till.....
Like the rest say, wipe the bowl and you’ll be fine . I generate a grocery plastic size bag in a week maybe, with paper towels and investment envelopes. And paper towels are now half size too.

View attachment 36159
There's still a milky/slurry liquid that flows out of the trap that I'm concerned with .

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I'm in my basement. So, into the sink, that drains into a plastic plaster trap that drains into a five gallon bucket that has a submersible pump in it. I then pump the water outside through a small line that goes through the sill plate. Nothing goes into the drain field.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
3.5gal disposable into 5gal disposable. use a dishes "tub" in the sink to catch the heavier sediment before it even goes down the drain. toss the 3.5gal OFTEN. ultimately theres no good way to get rid of all the sediment, but that should minimize whats going down the drain significantly.

why the 3.5gal? because work smarter not harder. its easier to carry a 3.5gal bucket of stone/slurry/water than it is a 5gal bucket.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm in my basement. So, into the sink, that drains into a plastic plaster trap that drains into a five gallon bucket that has a submersible pump in it. I then pump the water outside through a small line that goes through the sill plate. Nothing goes into the drain field.
That's what I had in mind.Do you have to deal with freezing temps in your area?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
That's what I had in mind.Do you have to deal with freezing temps in your area?
Yes, It has froze in the past. What I did. The line piggy backs into a downspout . Just make sure the line hangs free so it cant back up or clog up in the downspout. I have no problem this way. The line can drain back into the bucket or empty out on the other end. If laid flat water can freeze up.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Okay, I can't take it anymore. One of the witter members of this forum posts a thread and it's been this serious for this long?! Well....

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Okay, I can't take it anymore. One of the witter members of this forum posts a thread and it's been this serious for this long?! Well....

Thank you, that must be a record, 2 whole pages staying on topic!!!

C

charles007

Reaction score
Dry model trimmer at any price is more than worth the price over changing out messy, stinky, heavy 5 gal disposable pales every month or so forever !
Seems like the replaceable 5 gal pales cost $25.00 + and shipping... But you still need a disposable trap using a dry trimmer, but change much out less often..

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Dry model trimmer at any price is more than worth the price over changing out messy, stinky, heavy 5 gal disposable pales every month or so forever !
Seems like the replaceable 5 gal pales cost $25.00 + and shipping....
The models have to be perfectly dry don't they?

user name

user name

Reaction score
The models have to be perfectly dry don't they?
They need to be dry, but if you let them set for a few days and get bone dry, they can get hot and break. I like to do any grinding the following day from the pour. Someone in a different thread said they will quick dip in some water, then trim if they are overly dry.

Not much for technique sensitive. Its well worth a dry trimmer.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
They need to be dry, but if you let them set for a few days and get bone dry, they can get hot and break. I like to do any grinding the following day from the pour. Someone in a different thread said they will quick dip in some water, then trim if they are overly dry.

Not much for technique sensitive. Its well worth a dry trimmer.
we dry trim all our c/b models....preferably the day we pour them. otherwise as you stated, they get hot and have a tendency to break

user name

user name

Reaction score
What wheels do you like?
Ray Foster
Dedeco
Renfert
???

I like the Renfert best, but some cut great for a long time, others not so much.

Top Bottom