Medit/exocad Pains

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
So I made it through a design and realized I didn't have enough space. Doc says to reduce prep. so i says to myself i says, "delete merged parts, go to expert and free form scan data." wouldn't let me unless I deleted constructed parts. So Bite the bullet and do it. Now I can virtually reduce the prep. Sadly I have to redesign. So I mill it and find out when I redid crown bottoms it didn't adapt to the newly reduced prep. So i have to remill. I really don't want to have to delete constructed parts so I can try again to virtual reduce prep. any way to keep the design? Also, why didn't it adapt to reduced prep? I can see where it I reduced and I can see how the crown follows the pre-virtual prep when I do a cut view
1. Open the case, load scene file.
2. Go expert if you not already in expert mode
3. Delete constructed parts
4. Turn off the visibility for everything but the prep scan
5. Right click, then free form the way you like it
6. Right click the prep again to set the insertion path again
7. Right click, do the cement spacer / crown bottom <--something along that line, can't remember
8. Right click, merge and save
Done

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hey, Y'all want this a sticky? Lots of how to knowledge being dropped in this thread.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
7. Right click, do the cement spacer / crown bottom <--something along that line, can't remember
Done
Even faster.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Done
For step #3, do I delete "all" or "crowns" or "only reduced"
???????????????????????????????

user name

user name

Reaction score
For step #3, do I delete "all" or "crowns" or "only reduced"
???????????????????????????????
Delete constructed parts. Its not actually deleting anything...it just separates the exterior anatomical form from the crown bottom so you can work on either. It will remerge into a millable file when you click wizard.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Delete constructed parts. Its not actually deleting anything...it just separates the exterior anatomical form from the crown bottom so you can work on either. It will remerge into a millable file when you click wizard.

????????????????????????????????????
I've been here before and things get deleted....

1580951159175.png

user name

user name

Reaction score
exo.JPG
Sorry Riley...my hands are super full right now

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Yeah, the wiki exocad has different options and terminology then what my exocad has I've found out. so it's not entirely helpful. You on the other hand, Mr. username, are a peach for helping.
i just went ahead a deleted. Went to free form scan data, still couldn't cause the die had a "protective shell" on it. So I says to myself, I says, " just right click, deleted constructed parts and delete the next available thing from the list." So i does it, right, still has that dadgum protective shell on it and the crown really does appear to be deleted. So...............where's my baseball bat?

user name

user name

Reaction score
If you havent completed a design, then its not 'merged', meaning crown bottom and anatomical form stitched together, so if if thats the case, then you wouldnt likely be able to find a delete merged parts option.
If thats the case, then look up at zero_zeros post, and start at step 4.

You must enter expert mode to modify the prep. Hideall theparts...crown, bottom, ALL OTHER PARTS. Then put the cursor on the die, right click and see the options

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
If you havent completed a design, then its not 'merged', meaning crown bottom and anatomical form stitched together, so if if thats the case, then you wouldnt likely be able to find a delete merged parts option.
If thats the case, then look up at zero_zeros post, and start at step 4.

You must enter expert mode to modify the prep. Hideall theparts...crown, bottom, ALL OTHER PARTS. Then put the cursor on the die, right click and see the options
yeah, it was fully designed and closed and milled and realized the virtual reduction of the prep didn't actually take. So reopened, and read my initial post on the topic. I feel I followed the instructions but the wording is different for deleting.I'm starting over. Go to bed username!

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive got two full arch PMMAs to design before dinner and bed, and I just started scanning.

I fell your pain.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Ive got two full arch PMMAs to design before dinner and bed, and I just started scanning.

I fell your pain.
No way dude, you're being successful and earning money.
I'm going to share these screen shots and leave the DLN for the night. But I made an entirely new case and when I hit the design button and it prompted me to load the desired files, I chose the same scan data as the original case. it loaded with the prep being virtually reduced. and when I designed it, it maintained it. The original case shows the prep virtually reduced but the crown and spacer does not care. they follow what the prep Virtual prep nightmare and confusion.png was originally.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Here ya go Riley, you can do this in about 3 minutes with out having to re-design. In the expert mode there's a lot you can do by right clicking and using the "show/hide " box up in the left hand corner. There's a purple "pop-up bar" on the bottom of the screen that shows options as well. I still find things all the time, It's a perpetual learning curve, lol! The outer shell is the "preparation" as you can see in the video. Use the slider bars, or check and un-check the boxes to bring all kinds of parts in and out of view. Delete the crown construction, freeform the scan data, then once you modify the prep, highlight and right click on the crown bottom, go to correct margin line, then make a slight adjustment, then click ok, and then crown bottom (including the preparation shell) regenerates to the modifications you've made. and it's adapted to the design you've already finshed....re-merge the crown and your done. Then just print the crown stl along some models and make a reduction coping out it. ;)

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Here ya go Riley, you can do this in about 3 minutes with out having to re-design. In the expert mode there's a lot you can do by right clicking and using the "show/hide " box up in the left hand corner. There's a purple "pop-up bar" on the bottom of the screen that shows options as well. I still find things all the time, perpetual learning curve, lol! The outer shell is the "preparation" as you can see in the video. Use the slider bars, or check and un-check the boxes to bring all kinds of parts in and out of view. Delete the crown construction, freeform the scan data, then once you modify the prep, highlight and right click on the crown bottom, go to correct margin line, then make a slight adjustment, then click ok, and then crown bottom (including the preparation shell) regenerates to the modifications you've made. and it's adapted to the design you've already finshed....re-merge the crown and your done. Then just print the crown stl along some models and make a reduction coping out it. ;)

You did this, create this to help Riley, and posting it on YouTube, incredible, Larry :) Gave you a Like for sure on YouTube.
Not that the other help here on this thread aren't Winners too, as this has been an excellent thread.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Here ya go Riley, you can do this in about 3 minutes with out having to re-design. In the expert mode there's a lot you can do by right clicking and using the "show/hide " box up in the left hand corner. There's a purple "pop-up bar" on the bottom of the screen that shows options as well. I still find things all the time, It's a perpetual learning curve, lol! The outer shell is the "preparation" as you can see in the video. Use the slider bars, or check and un-check the boxes to bring all kinds of parts in and out of view. Delete the crown construction, freeform the scan data, then once you modify the prep, highlight and right click on the crown bottom, go to correct margin line, then make a slight adjustment, then click ok, and then crown bottom (including the preparation shell) regenerates to the modifications you've made. and it's adapted to the design you've already finshed....re-merge the crown and your done. Then just print the crown stl along some models and make a reduction coping out it. ;)

Thanks Larry. This is what I need done for all my questions. I did all that but how was I to know that going through crown bottoms and even changing the spacing wouldn't adapt to the new prep????? Did all you exocader's get trained that way or is it just common sense?!?
The other thing I don't understand is why so complex? Does it really help in designing a crown to have to click through so many things? good ol 3shape was just hit the back arrow two or three times, make the change then click the forward arrow two or three times. No turning on a different design mode, right clicking in certain areas for different menus, turning off certain visuals and parts, then knowing to bump the margin a teeny bit for things to reapply.
Sorry, wrong time to complain.
Larry that truly was so helpful and I greatly appreciate it! I really really do.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Agree, I just had to modify my abutment from a previous design, just rescanned the abutment, went back to redesign, (had to re-mark the margins) click, click, done, same design.

That is one of the reason I went with and stuck with 3Shape, I never really saw the hands on support offered, at the time, like I could get with the companies that sold the scanner.
I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but they both have their pros and cons, 3Shape with its simplicity and grouped steps which can cause glitches (to much coding?),or the more individual steps and freedom of Exocad with less glitches. I don't think it comes by common sense, as some did, and still do ask questions here, maybe more found out through trial and error, through PMs, through the other forum and through the Wiki page?

Last edited:
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I did all that but how was I to know that going through crown bottoms and even changing the spacing wouldn't adapt to the new prep????? Did all you exocader's get trained that way or is it just common sense?!?
The other thing I don't understand is why so complex?
This is why I chose the wax up option because it was a simpler way with out all of the advanced navigating through expert mode.
Of course it was not 'common sense' when we first started using exocad. Expert mode didn't even exist when a lot of us started using it. It is all just the evolution of your mind integrating with software as you use it and gain experience with it.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
maybe more found out through trial and error and through the Wiki page?
Exactly. There was nothing when I first started using exocad. Most all of my knowledge came from trying different things with the wikipage open. Fail, try again, move forward, hit a wall, think of a different way to work through the problem in the software, apply to the next case, etc. Many hours. It's like playing a musical instrument or anything else. It takes hours of time/practice what ever you want to call it to become an 'expert' at anything.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Exactly. There was nothing when I first started using exocad. Most all of my knowledge came from trying different things with the wikipage open. Fail, try again, move forward, hit a wall, think of a different way to work through the problem in the software, apply to the next case, etc. Many hours. It's like playing a musical instrument or anything else. It takes hours of time/practice what ever you want to call it to become an 'expert' at anything.

Thank you for the honest reply, 2th. The other part of it for me, was, is that I need(ed) the hand holding. I know that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so anything that made it easier, "simpler" for me to use, the better...glitches and all :)

Top Bottom