Upgrading Scan PC - HP z240 - 3Shape

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
My license renewal was due, too... :eek: I took the opportunity to talk to Core3d about specs. Kinda knew what I needed already... I found this setup. Same cost as the one above mentioned but a bit better specs:

Edit: Will add additional ram

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I got the Z240 from 3 shape when i got the E4 printer. I do all my scanning, designing, and gaming on the same PC. no issues!
So do I, except gaming, for the last three years. But I have 'hang ups' and it feels slow at times. Felt an upgrade was due...

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
exocad doesn't recommend those whopper graphics cards. GTX 1060 with 6gb is more than enough to have many instances of the program open for design as well as other programs. If you are thinking about the partial CAD module then you may want to ask those using it what cards they find work best.
According to Core3d, 3shape relies on the graphics card. Basically, the better the card the better the designing software performs. Again, this according to my phone call with Core3d, my license holder.

JinteraJo

JinteraJo

Reaction score
I am now selling Dental CADCAM PCs to many.
You do not need too high specifications.
I7 is enough for the CPU.
The graphics card is GTX 1650.
RAM 32Gb
Boot SSD
This should be enough.

T

TanMan

Reaction score
Good day y'all

So, the stock PC is getting a bit long in its teeth. Before I ditch it for something new, I want to upgrade it with more RAM, SSD and maybe a better GPU. Have any of you guys done so and did you encounter any issues?

My question would be:
  • How much RAM can I 'ram' into the motherboard? How many slots are there?
  • If I put an SSD in there, is there a slot for it, or do I have to take the existing hard drive out of it?
  • How easy is it to put the OS and Dongle onto the new SSD?
  • Any recommendation as for a better GPU
Or would you guys recommend a new built and forget about the stock PC?

Thank you guys in advance!

Merry Christmas/happy holidays and a great new year,

M

I upgraded my stock PC as soon as I got it. RAM should not be so much of an issue, I have a total of 64GB of RAM now, 4 sticks. Upgraded the CPU from i7-6700k to i7-7700k.

The big problem is the GPU and the power supply of the Z240. It's not robust enough to power more powerful GPUs (I had a 1080Ti lined up for it, but the power supply couldn't power it). I have a quadro M2000 installed in it right now, but it is just too damn slow.

I'll keep you posted, I am building another one from scratch next week, going to migrate into a new SSD by copying/mirroring onto a PCIex4 card (Samsung EVO PLUS 2TB) w/ an 850W power supply and the 1080Ti I couldn't use.

The only concern I would have with a stock PC is data migration and a lot of times, these companies have proprietary firmware that can interfere with migration of data, v. a new build.

Although, does anyone know if the 3shape scan software works better with Workstation cards (Quadro) or Consumer grade (GTX/RTX)? I can't seem to find answer to that question.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I upgraded my stock PC as soon as I got it. RAM should not be so much of an issue, I have a total of 64GB of RAM now, 4 sticks. Upgraded the CPU from i7-6700k to i7-7700k.

The big problem is the GPU and the power supply of the Z240. It's not robust enough to power more powerful GPUs (I had a 1080Ti lined up for it, but the power supply couldn't power it). I have a quadro M2000 installed in it right now, but it is just too damn slow.

I'll keep you posted, I am building another one from scratch next week, going to migrate into a new SSD by copying/mirroring onto a PCIex4 card (Samsung EVO PLUS 2TB) w/ an 850W power supply and the 1080Ti I couldn't use.

The only concern I would have with a stock PC is data migration and a lot of times, these companies have proprietary firmware that can interfere with migration of data, v. a new build.

Although, does anyone know if the 3shape scan software works better with Workstation cards (Quadro) or Consumer grade (GTX/RTX)? I can't seem to find answer to that question.
I appreciate your follow up, TanMan! I looked at various built options, but I haven't made up my mind, too many options and combinations... I will deal with it next year.

Any body has experience with this seller? https://www.cyberpowerpc.com

Keep us/me posted, please, on your built project!

M

T

TanMan

Reaction score
So... I have been able to get everything up and running, unfortunately, there was a delay in one of the parts, but I substituted in a GTX1660Ti for the meanwhile. Results were quite interesting, running 3shape's own benchmark. I went from an [email protected], to an [email protected] to i9-9900 (slight OC)

OS Hard Drive matters a LOT for the HD Write time. Changing to a high performance NVMe drove the HD Write time down 75%.
Interestingly enough, there was a 19% increase in Stream Load time. Looking at the results from the i9 (stock),v. i9 (slight OC),the stream load time decreased with the OC. This would lead me to believe that there's a correlation with CPU single core clock speed and stream load time.
Now, the most important benchmark for me is the post-process time. I believe that this is due to change in graphics card. This leads me to believe that the software is not optimized for workstation graphics cards, although the one provided was a paltry M2000, the replacement is a midtier consumer card. I will know for sure when the 2080Ti comes in and check the benchmarks. I did my own full arch IO scan and found that the real world post-processing was definitely a lot faster even with the 1660Ti.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted with the final results. Hopefully this gives you guys some insight into the software. Worst case scenario, if I cannot improve the stream load time, I might try switching the cpu back to the i7-7700k.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We just gave away this setup on the facebook study group roughly 2600 all together

New Model Alienware Aurora R9ly-9th Gen Intel Core i7 8 core 12MB
-Windows 10 Pro
-NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
-16GB 2933MHz HyperX DDR4
-512GB M.2 SSD
-1TB 7200 RPM SATA
-Wi-Fi & Bluetooth
Dell Ultra Sharp 34 Curved USB-C Monitor
-3440 X 1440 @ 60Hz

T

TanMan

Reaction score
I'm not sure how Windows 10 handles single thread/multithreaded applications, but based on some performance testing, it looks like 3shape is VERY CPU dependent on scan/post-processing. It was using all 8 cores (16 thread) to near 100% at 5.0Ghz OC; it barely utilized the video card for post-processing. I disabled the internal GPU to force the system to use the dedicated video card and that seems to have sped things up a bit. When I get the Ceramill/Exocad up and running, I'll see if I can provide more feedback on the design/milling portion.