Upgrading Scan PC - HP z240 - 3Shape

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Good day y'all

So, the stock PC is getting a bit long in its teeth. Before I ditch it for something new, I want to upgrade it with more RAM, SSD and maybe a better GPU. Have any of you guys done so and did you encounter any issues?

My question would be:
  • How much RAM can I 'ram' into the motherboard? How many slots are there?
  • If I put an SSD in there, is there a slot for it, or do I have to take the existing hard drive out of it?
  • How easy is it to put the OS and Dongle onto the new SSD?
  • Any recommendation as for a better GPU
Or would you guys recommend a new built and forget about the stock PC?

Thank you guys in advance!

Merry Christmas/happy holidays and a great new year,

M

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
It's been my experience that upgrading an old PC isn't really worth the $.
By the time you track down compatible components, which are usually limited supply, you are just better off getting new PC for a bit more $ and less frustration.
$0.02

Merry Christmas/happy holidays and a great new year to you and everyone else as well.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Are you designing on your scan PC also? If so, buy a new dedicated to designing. We spent around $2K on a gaming computer that I use to design on. I called our 3shape reseller to get the specs for this pc.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Are you designing on your scan PC also? If so, buy a new dedicated to designing. We spent around $2K on a gaming computer that I use to design on. I called our 3shape reseller to get the specs for this pc.
Correct, I am designing on it, too. Not sure my space will allow a double set up... But you got a good point!

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
It's been my experience that upgrading an old PC isn't really worth the $.
By the time you track down compatible components, which are usually limited supply, you are just better off getting new PC for a bit more $ and less frustration.
$0.02

Merry Christmas/happy holidays and a great new year to you and everyone else as well.
Good point! Than you,

M

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
It takes a Gig of Ram per unit you are designing on plus a few extra for the modeling. Single unit cases are that big of a deal, but if you try to do a full arch/mouth, you are going to have stability issues. We have 48 Gigs of RAM on the motherboard and then another 16+ on the video card.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It takes a Gig of Ram per unit you are designing on plus a few extra for the modeling. Single unit cases are that big of a deal, but if you try to do a full arch/mouth, you are going to have stability issues. We have 48 Gigs of RAM on the motherboard and then another 16+ on the video card.
But does it play Crysis?

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
go to costco, and just get a gaming pc from there. already built, saves time, and barely a price difference than building your own. make sure you get a decent gaming monitor as well or your frames will drop even with a monster gpu.

L

Leejh

Reaction score
I would go to microcenter instead of costco. I used to build my own but it's cheaper and less headache when i buy built computers.

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
That Alienware is a bit overpriced for what it is, their gaming laptops are exceptional though. Costco has built computers that are already stacked and if any necessary parts are needed, you can buy them at microcenter or newegg. One thing I'd look out for is keeping the hard drive as a backup memory, and buy bigger ssd. the v-nand ssd are little nano ssd that are plugged into the motherboard which have greater results that just the traditional ssd.
If you're thinking about buying all up to date computer parts or specific computer parts, then yes I would build, but like I said, time is money and money is time, you won't be seeing a lot of parts coming in on time in this time of the month due to holidays.

I'd rather buy this ibuypower than overrated alienware pc. Better parts, better specs, and cheaper, but like said, holiday season is the worst time to buy.

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
That's a nice build, but unless exosheep says the RTX is worth it, that's about $600 of unused possibility.
The GTX vs RTX is a big jump in capabilities that there is very little real need for in most current use cases.
Actually, the graphics card plays a big role in cad, and it'll play a bigger role since he will be scanning as well. You're going to have to have a lot of memory to store your files. I got an extra dongle to design separately from my scanning computer, I don't think there's a charge for that, but I might be mistaken.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
That's a nice build, but unless exosheep says the RTX is worth it, that's about $600 of unused possibility.
The GTX vs RTX is a big jump in capabilities that there is very little real need for in most current use cases.
exocad doesn't recommend those whopper graphics cards. GTX 1060 with 6gb is more than enough to have many instances of the program open for design as well as other programs. If you are thinking about the partial CAD module then you may want to ask those using it what cards they find work best.

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
I got the Z240 from 3 shape when i got the E4 printer. I do all my scanning, designing, and gaming on the same PC. no issues!

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I'll be both designing and scanning on the same computer.. I'm just a small fry operator.