What is the best way to press a Zirconia puck? CIP, HIP, Colloidal or HSD method?

Ros Russle

Ros Russle

Reaction score
Actually, I only know about CIP, but for some zirconia manufacturer, they used other ways. does anyone know about other ways?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i think its hydro static you get even pressure all round thats my understanding its hydro something at least.

Ros Russle

Ros Russle

Reaction score
i think its hydro static you get even pressure all round thats my understanding its hydro something at least.
Hydro Static....that's new to me....I gonna use these words to do more search.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I think you're mixing apples and oranges here.

Hydrostatic or isostatic are the only two methods I'm familiar with. Homogenous Sequential Deposit looks like its still in the R&D phase - can't find much documentation on the process used.

HIP is pre-sintered, so the machining happens after the Zr is fully sintered.

Colloidal is a term describing the particle size of Zr in the slurry before pressing.

But it's been a few years since I was involved too deeply in Zr

Ros Russle

Ros Russle

Reaction score
I think you're mixing apples and oranges here.

Hydrostatic or isostatic are the only two methods I'm familiar with. Homogenous Sequential Deposit looks like its still in the R&D phase - can't find much documentation on the process used.

HIP is pre-sintered, so the machining happens after the Zr is fully sintered.

Colloidal is a term describing the particle size of Zr in the slurry before pressing.

But it's been a few years since I was involved too deeply in Zr
That's really helpful! I'm new to this industry, so any knowledge from you guys I will much appreciate.

J

Jeff Li Beautyzir

Reaction score
In order to obtain a more uniform zirconia block, CIP (cold isostatic pressing) is the preferred method. In the CIP technique, zirconia particles are suspended in a liquid medium (oil, water, etc.). Therefore, the pressure is uniformly distributed in the liquid during the pressing, thereby ensuring the high homogeneity of the zirconia block.

R

richgreen

Reaction score
Wouldn't the homogeneity of the zirconia have to be created prior to pressing? If you accept this definition;

A homogeneous mixture is a mixture that has been mixed together so well that the different parts will not settle out on their own. Solids, liquids, and gasses can be homogeneous mixtures. Solutions are a type of liquid homogeneous mixture.

Then I
can't think of a way that pressing could mix the zirconia if it were not already completely mixed. If I am mistaken, plz help me to understand better. Thanks

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Wouldn't the homogeneity of the zirconia have to be created prior to pressing? If you accept this definition;

A homogeneous mixture is a mixture that has been mixed together so well that the different parts will not settle out on their own. Solids, liquids, and gasses can be homogeneous mixtures. Solutions are a type of liquid homogeneous mixture.

Then I
can't think of a way that pressing could mix the zirconia if it were not already completely mixed. If I am mistaken, plz help me to understand better. Thanks
Cold Isostatic is best . Before Pre- sintering process. After, they are LONG sintered at about 800- 900 ° C This gives us our strength in the millable "Green state" This is also why there is an suggested hold time of 20-30 minutes @ 900 ° C to allow puck to acclimatize as it's never been higher than that in its history thermally. Hope this makes sense, just what I've gathered over some years...

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Actually, I only know about CIP, but for some zirconia manufacturer, they used other ways. does anyone know about other ways?
There is a company called RAC corporation in California that would seek you all you need to produce and sell zirconia pucks for about $700.000 in equipment to start.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
What companies in the USA manufacture zirconia pucks to sell to dental distributors?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Most zirconia disks on the market are produced one of two ways:

1. Uniaxial - the powder(s) are placed in a mold and then pressure is applied by a piston to compact the material.

2. Uniaxial and then CIP (cold isostatic pressing) - after the unixial pressing the disk is placed in a watertight pouch, vacuum sealed, and then placed in a large vat of liquid. The vat is then pressurized applying even pressure to all sides of the disk ensuring uniform density throughout the disk. This gives the added benefit of more even controlled shrinkage during the sintering process, especially important when sintering large span restorations.

Top Bottom