Exo IOS implant CAD steps issues.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Does the Dr. have to do a gingival scan in order to make the mask? When I entered my case in EXO, I chose the tooth to restore and seperate gingival scan, then all the other stuff(adj,opp...). When I loaded case into model creator it said that not all scans were there? I'm guessing I should not have picked seperate gin. scan? Also Dr.'s scan with the scan body was there, but the upper arch scan was with healing cap in place? So when outlining the emergence profile, is that where the cutline for the gingival mask comes from?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Does the Dr. have to do a gingival scan in order to make the mask? When I entered my case in EXO, I chose the tooth to restore and seperate gingival scan, then all the other stuff(adj,opp...). When I loaded case into model creator it said that not all scans were there? I'm guessing I should not have picked seperate gin. scan? Also Dr.'s scan with the scan body was there, but the upper arch scan was with healing cap in place? So when outlining the emergence profile, is that where the cutline for the gingival mask comes from?
Start this as a separate thread. Maybe the MODs can put this in separate thread??

Typically for an implant scan with IOS you have 4 scans depending on the scanner/software. The jaw scan will be used as the gingiva in the job so separate gingiva scan doesn't need to be selected.

Jaw scan
Scan Body scan
Antagonist Scan
Bite Scan

The method for manually importing the IOS scans into DentalDB would be to select the tooth number and restoration type.
Select implant, On custom abutment auto/manual, Screw retained auto/manual
Adjacent teeth
Antagonist, etc

At the bottom select scan mode as digital impression scan.

At this point you can either design the crown/abutment first or start with model creator.

Somewhere I have a bootleg tutorial I made to help someone a while back with the steps to design the model with separate gingiva.
It is not hard, exocad will prompt you along the way to mark the area for the separate gingival part on the model.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
@Mike2 I couldn't find that tutorial so here goes.

Sample work flow.
DentaDB set up.png
After set up click OK, at the bottom right select digital impression scan (this changes the order of the workflow steps slightly compared to two stone models in occlusion). Next click design and manually import the needed scans.

Manual import.png
When manually importing scan data exocad will prompt you at the upper left corner with the needed scan.

Jaw scan.png

Jaw scan is gingival scan.
I have the doc remove healing cap and scan the tissue area first before the tissue totally collapses.

I usually free form the scan data to clean it up slightly. I always make the tissue conform to the restoration so I start shaping it how I want it here.
It is easy to overdo this part so be conservative.

Scan Body.png

Scan body scan

Next would be to import the antagonist.

Once all the scans have been imported manually the next steps are as usual.

*When you select the library to mark the implant position it must be a library with an associated digital analog. If not, the steps to design the gingival mask
will not be available.* Maybe in Matera, but I haven't tried it yet.

Bounding Box.png

Select your model type and be sure to give some extra room for the analog inside the bounding box.

model base with analog.png

Base with analog.png

Once the model stl files are rendered, select 'mask' in the wizard window and set your parameters for the gingival area.

Mark gingiva border.png

Mark the gingival border and click Run to render the gingiva mask.

Separate gingiva mask.png

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Add Attachments _ Text.png

Add the needed attachments and text

Merged parts 4 model.png

Model Abut Crown.png

Model less work flow is much easier and less variables to control regarding printer resolution, material, operator, phase of the moon......

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
This just got sticky worthy. Awesome writeup. Thank you much!
Thanks, I really just half arsed it due to other stuff pressing today

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks so much! Now if Straumann would make the repositionable analogs available...Backorder for a year?? Anybody have a stock of these? I could use other parts that are available, but that would void straumanns' warranty? Thanks again!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks so much! Now if Straumann would make the repositionable analogs available...Backorder for a year?? Anybody have a stock of these? I could use other parts that are available, but that would void straumanns' warranty? Thanks again!

Have you ever read the warranty from an implant company? The ONLY thing warrantied is the implant. That means in the case of a failed implant you as the lab, the restoring clinician and the patient get nothing. The surgeon gets a free replacement implant. That's quite a warranty! Most implant fail before integration. Find some solid evidence (peer reviewed) of failed implants using aftermarket parts to restore. If it were an issue there would be 100's of thousands of failed implants and one of the major news media would make it out to be an epidemic of biblical proportions and one of the causes of global warming and magnetic field shift.....

NT Trading L series implant library in exocad has DIM analogs, Medentika has one and I believe @DESS-USA has exocad library with DIM analogs available.
Never heard of an aftermarket analog causing an implant to fail, but maybe it's just bad juju put out by implant company witch doctors?

It's been my experience if you wait for corporate AnyCompany® to make a decision or take action to help you with solutions, you will be waiting a long time.
DIY. Move forward.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
They are available...just ordered some from their website.
I'll use any other FDA parts if the client is in agreement. I have an oral surgeon (and some other clients) that insist on using OEM because of "warranty" concerns. They are made aware that the extra cost in OEM parts (like 3x, lol) is added the cost of the restorations. I make the same $ either way....

Last edited:
Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Thanks Larry, I will ring my rep as he told me on friday the NC crossfit were backordered? I know I could use the dess analog, but I'm not smart enough to swap the markers, so Dr. would need to use DESS scan flag? Thanks for all your help!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Thanks Larry, I will ring my rep as he told me on friday the NC crossfit were backordered? I know I could use the dess analog, but I'm not smart enough to swap the markers, so Dr. would need to use DESS scan flag? Thanks for all your help!
Yes the doc would need the scan flag for the specific library. Provide them to your client's, at least a few and let them purchase extras. This keeps your life a lot easier regarding the digital workflow with implants.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
yeah, sorry...I was looking at the RC's.... so now they are out NC's now, Seesh!

Last edited:
Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
The shipment arrived Monday or Tues from Switzerland and I recieved mine yesterday. The problem I have now is to figure out why the crown I printed when put on the ti base on the analog is positioned wrong?? I pushed the repositionable analog in until it snapped into place. The narrow end is poking through the bottom of the printed model, wow they fit snug, using default parameters? Any thought as my printer support said print the crown to make sure everything will fit? It won't the way the printed crown looks? Any Advice would be appreciated greatly.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The shipment arrived Monday or Tues from Switzerland and I recieved mine yesterday. The problem I have now is to figure out why the crown I printed when put on the ti base on the analog is positioned wrong?? I pushed the repositionable analog in until it snapped into place. The narrow end is poking through the bottom of the printed model, wow they fit snug, using default parameters? Any thought as my printer support said print the crown to make sure everything will fit? It won't the way the printed crown looks? Any Advice would be appreciated greatly.
Could you explain 'positioned wrong' in a way those not holding it would understand?

Or better, upload a picture?

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Mike, Call Starumann CAD tech support and have them install the "updated" Exocad implant and Model Creator library's and that should fix it.
Straumann udated their Exocad librarys and for some reason (Dontknow) changed the analog position in Model Creator..( Don't know why they did that...Hmmmm2)

I had the same problem. About month or so ago...out of the blue I had printed an implant model from an ios design and the analog was off by a 1/4 rotation. Straumann support said I had the wrong library's and installed the newer library's and I printed a designed and printed a new model (from the same design) and the screw retained crown fit in the new model in the proper position. I think the change is mainly the analog orientation in Model Creator.

Last edited:
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Mike, Call Starumann CAD tech support and have them install the "updated" Exocad implant and Model Creator library's and that should fix it.
Straumann udated their Exocad librarys and for some reason (Dontknow) changed the analog position in Model Creator..( Don't know why they did that...Hmmmm2)

I had the same problem. I had printed an implant model from an ios design and the analog was off by a 1/4 rotation. Straumann support said I had the wrong library's and installed the newer library's and I printed a designed and printed a new model (from the same design) and the screw retained crown fit in the new model in the proper position.
Yo Larry, What is the version of the 'updated' library? Or when was that library completed?

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
2th, Version 1.0? Not sure what happened with me , but this seemed to have happened after my matera upgrade. My models always printed with the flat side of the analog towards the facial, now it has the 90* angle facing the facial Dontknow …. I always thought I had version 1.0 ..but. Maybe Exocad has the proper versions now on their website... Straumann wiped out what I had and installed these:

Strmn_Implant1.jpg Strmn_Variobase_version.jpg Strmn_Model_Creator.jpg Strmn_Variobase_version.jpg

Last edited:
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
2th, Version 1.0? Not sure what happened with me , but this seemed to have happened after my matera upgrade. My models always printed with the flat side of the analog towards the facial, now it has the 90* angle facing the facial Dontknow …. I always thought I had version 1.0 ..but. Maybe Exocad has the proper versions now on their website... Straumann wiped out what I had and installed these:

Ok, I have a library dated right around the same time from a Euro source v2.0. I haven't tested it for analog positions though. I just customized it for Variobase with different scan bodies. In the coming weeks I'll delve into it a bit more to see what the options are for SRAs. Anyone using the Straumann libraries for bars on Variobase or SRAs around here can confirm that the library is error free??

Thanks Larry.

Top Bottom