STL editing for Custom Trays

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I am designing custom trays in 3 Shape and there is one problem I am running into, I am trying to make 1-2mm holes through the model in order to create mechanical retention.

I have found a few ways to do this but some are tedious and time consuming so not really what I am looking for.

Anyone know of any 3rd party software that I can easily cut holes in a model with? Every software I have seen so far is either difficult to work with or doesn't allow placement of holes...

Thanks,

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Lol, use exocad attachment remove tool.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Never done trays in 3shape, isn't there an attachment tool to make holes or cylinder like in the dental designer?

Also not an expert but when making a custom tray isn't it best to not have holes for a better outcome? I am assuming these are for dentures? My Denture guys says not to put holes in them, but some docs just do it anyways.

I was gonna say try mesh mixer.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It's quite easy to do...this example was done with Rhino, might be easier with Blender or some other CAD app what handles mesh data faster... It started out as a regular splint for Exo then loaded it into Rhino.
tray_04.jpg
The model scan was shrunk a bit to clear the splint and turned into a "hedgehog"...this can be reused for similarly shaped trays
tray_02.jpg
Then the model was subtracted from the splint and a handle added
tray_01.jpg
The result:
tray_03.jpg

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
It's quite easy to do...this example was done with Rhino, might be easier with Blender or some other CAD app what handles mesh data faster... It started out as a regular splint for Exo then loaded it into Rhino.
View attachment 22350
The model scan was shrunk a bit to clear the splint and turned into a "hedgehog"...this can be reused for similarly shaped trays
View attachment 22351
View attachment 22352
The result:
View attachment 22353
That is exactly what we are looking for.

Diadem Precision

Diadem Precision

Reaction score
3Shape 2016 has now the capability of adding perforations to the custom trays.

Custom Tray.JPG

K

Kevin3D

Reaction score
Lol, use exocad attachment remove tool.
Hi, How would we do that?
View attachment 22350
View attachment 22351
View attachment 22352
The result:
View attachment 22353
How the handle was added?

K

Kevin3D

Reaction score
View attachment 22350
View attachment 22351
View attachment 22352
The result:
View attachment 22353
Hi Thank you for sharing this. How did you design the handle. Is it possible to find the handle as an attachment?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Hi Thank you for sharing this. How did you design the handle. Is it possible to find the handle as an attachment?

In 3Shape they now have a custom tray module, and there is an .stl file for both a large handle and short handle that you can use in other software. I use this in 3Shape appliance designer now as I don't use the built in custom tray module.

K

Kevin3D

Reaction score
In 3Shape they now have a custom tray module, and there is an .stl file for both a large handle and short handle that you can use in other software. I use this in 3Shape appliance designer now as I don't use the built in custom tray module.
Thats very good. I was trying to create the handle. Is it possible for u to share the stl files for the handle. I know its probably too much to ask :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thats very good. I was trying to create the handle. Is it possible for u to share the stl files for the handle. I know its probably too much to ask :)
Not my creations

Pretty sure they are his or 2th's, but not certain.

Attachments

• holder2.stl
    488.4 KB · Views: 92
  • holder1.stl
    313.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score

Here are the ones I use as of right now, i find they are very stable and easy to manipulate!

Cheers,

Attachments

• HandleAngled.dcm
    71 KB · Views: 70
  • HandleAngledLarge.dcm
    71.2 KB · Views: 50
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
I just put out my custom tray module (free). The handle in this is parametric, so you can adjust the lengths,widths and heights of the base and neck as well as the bend angle. It's not all that "sexy" but it can be tuned to your liking per case. It's a little bit of a pain to export the handle because I have it not selectable but for DLN folks I could make a tutorial on how to get the handle out of the software (it's just Blender with a lot of customization) if people really wanted.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Zirkonzahn released a free custom tray design software (based on Exo) a while ago , that's what I use...
Custom Tray.png