Dental I/O scan workflows

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yes, 3 Shape sends email notices when a scan has arrived. It's like Christmas 365.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yes, 3 Shape sends email notices when a scan has arrived. It's like Christmas 365.
Yes they do, i looked into it and figured out why I wasn't getting emails...used an email specific for the trios that I don't monitor (till now...lol). Thanks Gents.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yes they do, i looked into it and figured out why I wasn't getting emails...used an email specific for the trios that I don't monitor (till now...lol). Thanks Gents.
I do the same.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
With iTero I receive no notification of pending cases in lab review. I have to log in and check the site daily. Can’t rely on the
docs office to tell me.:rolleyes:
I have eXo here. Also need to double check the DB info and correct the order. Sets up for a coping and need to change if
doing an fcz.

Also when I pull case up in Articulator mode the models are always positioned backwards. One more thing to adjust from itero 😖

Last edited:
WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
We use 3Shape design in our lab (licenesed from Argen) and received TRIOS scans. There is an email notification that comes with EVERY SINGLE CASE. We've been using the software for over 7 years and I can't remember there ever being a case that was submited that we didn't receive an email for. You might want to check your account on their dashboard to see if your email is spelled correctly or check your own spam filters to see if you might accidently be blocking their notifications. Of all the digital scan systems that we work with, I truly believe TRIOS to be the best (*and I'm not being paid by them or anything! :) ).

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I laugh 'cause I've done similar.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Anyone have a newest version itero scan they are willing to send me?
Thanks

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Carestream is free to make an account and to use. I am not sure if Dr has multiple options on what files you receive though.
I receive both .stl's and a .dcm color file. I do not receive a margin file.

Itero has 3 levels for labs. All 3 a different price points (they often have a 50%off promotion).
In all 3, itero processes the data and marks/ditches the scans before you can use them. Most of the time the cases are ready the next day they are taken.
  1. You don't receive .stl files. Itero prints model and ships them to you. You pay for models.
  2. You are able to export stl's from their portal however you cannot modify the margins.You are also able to order models if you want, at a slightly lower price. They charge you $5 for every case export.
  3. Same as 2 except there is no $5 charge for every export. Models are a bit cheaper than 2 as well.
i would like to note:
you DO get .stl files from itero (at least at their top tier)
i have been able to import the scans into exocad and design/mill/sinter the crowns prior to even getting the milled models from itero.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
anyone thats using iTero on a regular basis....is there a list of iTero equipped Drs? similar to cerec connected docs?

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
So I am wondering about the color scans? I do get color photos from one Dr. but I am not sure how to open the color scans, except in 2D? Is there a way to see it in 3d W/OUT buying there software. As long as were discussing, I am going to get the Articulator Model for EXO along with Virtual Provisional and Smile Design. I want to overlay Patient photos and create diagnostics white wax ups for treatment planning. I would then want to print the temps for them etc., anyone near WI doing this? If so I would love the chance to see it in action. If so PM me and I would bring gifts of Glorious means to thier place of business. Thanks in advance
In addition, the one thing I do get hung up on is the way trios scan come into EXO makes Margins hard to see unless Drs.' use cord and isolate. I have had them comment they see it intraorally, but there the tissue and teeth are different colors?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
So I am wondering about the color scans? I do get color photos from one Dr. but I am not sure how to open the color scans, except in 2D? Is there a way to see it in 3d W/OUT buying there software. As long as were discussing, I am going to get the Articulator Model for EXO along with Virtual Provisional and Smile Design. I want to overlay Patient photos and create diagnostics white wax ups for treatment planning. I would then want to print the temps for them etc., anyone near WI doing this? If so I would love the chance to see it in action. If so PM me and I would bring gifts of Glorious means to thier place of business. Thanks in advance
In addition, the one thing I do get hung up on is the way trios scan come into EXO makes Margins hard to see unless Drs.' use cord and isolate. I have had them comment they see it intraorally, but there the tissue and teeth are different colors?
Yeah, that's my bish about 3Shape, they encrypted the color part of the scans. Seriously, I'm like wtf...they don't realize they are just hurting the patient/doc/tech in the long run. Currently, you have to flip back to the 2D to see the color since 3Shape encrypted the color in their scans by using the .ocx file. Also, the guys that do have 3Shape can't see color scans from Medit because 3Shape doesn't read .obj or .ply files. They better up there game!!! I'm curious, what are you going to use to scan the face of the patients?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
3Shape can't see color scans from Medit because 3Shape doesn't read .obj or .ply files.
The difference is, that OBJ and PLY are open formats, readable by a bunch of 3d apps... DCM's are not. 👎

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The difference is, that OBJ and PLY are open formats, readable by a bunch of 3d apps... DCM's are not. 👎
Yep...as I bang my head, here we are ten years later into digital dentistry and we are still whining about 'open' systems!!! I'm going to need a steel plate for my forehead, or a new wall.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Video I saw used a pic with cheek retractors and a reg smile
That being said I also seen iPhone 3D scan app
I need to get a computer person to just keep file inventory and .extensions cracked, i do t have that kind of $ when drs want less price but every other .x/& isn’t free .....😡
I’m done and thankful for all the work I have and all the work I’m going to receive using this great technologies

NormC

NormC

Reaction score
I don't bother with all those accounts, etc. We just take the STL's from the Carestream, zip them, and send/receive in gmail, along with the instructions. They open fine in Exocad, once you de-compress them. Maybe I'm lazy, but I never understood the need to use Carestream connect.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Yes sir that would work, but my Dr's use Trios and it is an added cost, I believe, to export .stl's. Unless I pony up the $ no Dr. is going to say yup sign me up for that also, especially when the sales rep tells them just tell your current lab they need to get ........this
story over. My 2 Cents

N

Noob.Scared.Confused

Reaction score
Hello, We have a Dr. that wants to send us his files but he has Cerec omnicam. We are a small lab (3shape). if the Dr. is able to export the STL file for us, could we do his work? If so, what about milling? could we mill in our Roland? Thanks in advance

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hello, We have a Dr. that wants to send us his files but he has Cerec omnicam. We are a small lab (3shape). if the Dr. is able to export the STL file for us, could we do his work? If so, what about milling? could we mill in our Roland? Thanks in advance
Yep, you could do all that with what you got, but he has to send you .stls, therefore you should really try to get a file transfer service (i.e. Dropbox, filezilla, etc.) For those large files.

N

Noob.Scared.Confused

Reaction score
Yep, you could do all that with what you got, but he has to send you .stls, therefore you should really try to get a file transfer service (i.e. Dropbox, filezilla, etc.) For those large files.
Thank you so much!