new zirc issue

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
just started getting this issue. zirc crowns coming out scorched maybe? color is gone from them. translucency is gone. fit is as expected. im at a loss here, and ive wasted 3 sintering cycles troubleshooting so far. heres what i know and dont know....
  1. no changes in zirconia types, same few ive been using for many many months. heck i have a pic to follow with units milled out of the same puck but sintered a day apart....
  2. i had used a new sinter tray the first time this issue popped up. but by day 3 i had gone back to the old tray. same issue.
  3. at the same time i attempted to use the new sinter tray i put in new sinter beads. out of the same package of sinter beads i had been using. this is the last item i can change back to if needed as i have not done so yet. its the next thing and only thing i have left short of the furnace unless im missing something.
  4. most units are multilayer preshaded pucks. but some have been hand colored. doesnt change the end result. unusable units.
  5. ive adjusted my sinter temp up/down 5-10deg with no noticable difference.

32642 32643 32644 32645
first and second pics are for comparison. all are milled A3 from the same puck. the two on the left are the issues, the one on the right was sintered saturday prior to the issues that started sunday.
the second two pics show a comparison of C3 (left) and A3.5 (right). they are damn near the same shade...as i mentioned the color is just gone from them.

at my wits end here. anyone have experience with this mess?

R

Ryan

Reaction score
Looks like contamination from your furnace....

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Underfired. Run a Temp Tab. Looks to me like you need another 50-75 degrees.
that much? dang. i cant find my temp thingies. ugh, i dont need this sh*t right now!

user name

user name

Reaction score
What are you doing for a high temp?

user name

user name

Reaction score
If youre on the same cycle, its either got to be a bad element or one leg of your 220 isnt there

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
If youre on the same cycle, its either got to be a bad element or one leg of your 220 isnt there
dedicated line, nothing else on that 220. i sinter overnight so i cant say whats happened during the program. same cycle, thermocouple just changed out on the furnace too.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I think Id be poking around with a multimeter. Check power at the box, check the breaker, check the outlet. Make sure cord is pushed in on the back of the oven all the way. Ask the supplier how to check the elements. POWER OFF.

Does this issue coincide with the thermocouple replacement?

Have you ordered Orton Ceramics 650 Temp tabs yet?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
dedicated line, nothing else on that 220. i sinter overnight so i cant say whats happened during the program. same cycle, thermocouple just changed out on the furnace too.
That's the furnace that was just sent to repair depot right?
Grab a mirror and see if a hairline crack in the muffle from rough FedUp handling turned into a big crack after going through a bunch of full cycles and is letting your heat out.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
This looks like when we had an element going out. Everything tested fine when the oven was cool but there was a hairline fracture in one of the elements that would open up when we ran it.

Changed elements and we were all good.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Iv'e got to go with bad element too or controller board in the furnace ,they look underfired ,,,,,sorry your going through that ,it's the worse feeling .:(

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I think Id be poking around with a multimeter. Check power at the box, check the breaker, check the outlet. Make sure cord is pushed in on the back of the oven all the way. Ask the supplier how to check the elements. POWER OFF.

Does this issue coincide with the thermocouple replacement?

Have you ordered Orton Ceramics 650 Temp tabs yet?
thermocouple issue was not long ago. month, maybe month and a half.
havent ordered the tabs yet...cant find mine so it seems i need to

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Iv'e got to go with bad element too or controller board in the furnace ,they look underfired ,,,,,sorry your going through that ,it's the worse feeling .:(
thanks, as soon as tech support gets back with me i will be asking them...and maybe finding a mirror to check for myself.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
after examining the elements as best as i can, i see no cracks or issues at all with them. doesnt mean there isnt any, just means i dont see any...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Did that look see also include the top, where the straps connect? I had cracking on 2 of my elements, and when I took the straps off, it all crumbled away. I was getting a heating error with mine, the furnace wouldn't heat up at all in my case.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Did that look see also include the top, where the straps connect? I had cracking on 2 of my elements, and when I took the straps off, it all crumbled away. I was getting a heating error with mine, the furnace wouldn't heat up at all in my case.

View attachment 32648
i did not look under the case yet. just looked inside.
tech support seems to think its contamination and the furnace needs a purge. will run that purge cycle tonight and see. i have new elements on the way. tech support also doesnt think its elements because they sintered enough to fit...but not to reach desired shade/translucency. so it hit temp but didnt hold long enough?
i really done have time or brain energy to deal with this aaaaaaahhhhhhh

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Yes, what if it's something as simple as a purge cycle, why not, right?

user name

user name

Reaction score

View attachment 32648
Make sure you never wiggle the connections, either during install or just to check. That will crack and loosen the coating.
i did not look under the case yet. just looked inside.
tech support seems to think its contamination and the furnace needs a purge. will run that purge cycle tonight and see. i have new elements on the way. tech support also doesnt think its elements because they sintered enough to fit...but not to reach desired shade/translucency. so it hit temp but didnt hold long enough?
i really done have time or brain energy to deal with this aaaaaaahhhhhhh
Your fit should be pretty dialed in just over 1000 as far as Im told. Beyond that its all about looks.

Then again, I know lots of things that arent true.

Top Bottom