Questionarre on Lab Quality for Dentists

H

Holly93

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a couple of C&B techs being transitioned/trained into removable techs. I have been getting complaints about our lab works consistency. This is mostly coming from the transitioning Technicians.

In a previous Private message with JMN he had some good Feedback on this, below is some of what we discussed, but I also wanted to open it to the community:

Existing schools of thought:

A) Ask minimal questions (Seating time in minutes, Pt satisfaction 1-10, Clinical issues at delivery-please list) as if you take up time with 10 questions on each case you'll either annoy them or they won't answer.

B) Asking for feedback encourages them to look for problems and everything has problems if you look, so don't.

C)
Send a detailed form with select cases and offer a reduced fee for form completion.

Any adherents to all of the above care to comment?

As of right now I am handling every case and see every office routinely. I get feedback on the spot.

In preparation for a larger staff I have made it very clear that I am always available to discuss a case or assist in case planning. I make sure the licensees have my personal cell number and know that I want them to reach out for the bad and the good. When I do that, most give me theirs as well and ask me to call them directly. In the event I need input on a decision when they are out of the office, including evenings. In many instances, I will hold off starting a complicate case until I receive marching orders from the dentist.

When I get a general complaint about dental appliance consistency. I Ask them to be specific in their issues. What is inconsistent? Internally I have begun to track what technician’s are crafting cases for whom. I have a very fast denturist, who doesn’t make aesthetically pleasing cases, some doctors mind, others don’t. New dentists also have had a criteria of receiving a StayPlate that needs no adjustment, and don’t want to hear that the staff poured models with bad distortion, or even no opposing model.

As of now I work hard for every client to ask what they like. Keep notes. I am in the process of building a clinic file of what they expect or are meaning. I have found that familiarizing the current denture techs to repeat casework, they are adjusting to complaints.

More specific to everyone. What suggestions on feedback would everyone suggest?

For instance:

Wax rim adaptation to the projected arch form?
Rim measurement’s standards of 21/18/10 and 18/10 are all over the place?
Festooning irregularities?
Tooth interdigitation is in different schemes?
Angulation of anterior’s or posteriors is hit or miss?

I was hoping to reach out to the community on who might have a standard (template or otherwise) questionnaire or advice on a time proven way to communicate with dentists on case feedback?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
c/b techs going to denture techs is a rough transition.
c/b is very structured and deals with different "rules" from the prosthetic side of things. most c/b techs will buck the system, at least for a time. its easier to bring denture techs over to c/b than the other way around in my experience.

H

Holly93

Reaction score
c/b techs going to denture techs is a rough transition.
c/b is very structured and deals with different "rules" from the prosthetic side of things. most c/b techs will buck the system, at least for a time. its easier to bring denture techs over to c/b than the other way around in my experience.
Yes, but finding and hiring a denture tech w/10+ Experience in the sf bay area requires 30+ Hr and a bit of luck. Much larger pool of C&B techs. Especially within the outlook (or reality, I have no crystal ball) that there may be more career longevity and higher pay over time in the removable side of things.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
<yuge oversimplification>
C&B looks to match. Removable looks to blend.
</yuge oversimplification>

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If a c&b tech could learn the theory of removables, set ups, position, landmarks, shapes, forms etc they would really be ahead of so many who like myself, don't.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
If a c&b tech could learn the theory of removables, set ups, position, landmarks, shapes, forms etc they would really be ahead of so many who like myself, don't.
i learned it the hard way. i had to lol
its a frustrating thing to me doing dentures.....but i learned it and i feel better for it!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Maybe hiring a c&b tech with no denture experience is the problem?

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Yes, but finding and hiring a denture tech w/10+ Experience in the sf bay area requires 30+ Hr and a bit of luck. Much larger pool of C&B techs. Especially within the outlook (or reality, I have no crystal ball) that there may be more career longevity and higher pay over time in the removable side of things.
It’s been said here on dln many times, you get what you pay for. Find a good Denture tech, pay them what they’re worth, and set your fee schedule to match.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hi All,
In a previous Private message with JMN he had some good Feedback on this, below is some of what we discussed, but I ....

That doesn't surprise me that he got ahold of you. He's a class act whose all to willing to help, even behind the scenes. Edit: as well as many of the other forum members here :)

Last edited:
GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score

I am curious a denture tech with 10+ years of experience? You stated you are transitioning C&B techs over - so while they may have 10+ years on that side - they are realativly new to the denture side ?
I will most certainly agree sometimes finding the right person in any field can be a long task esp in this industry most qualified techs aren’t looking for jobs
I learned how to do set ups during the MDT program but Have been a ceramist for 20 plus years

As stated in a previous post learning the land marks and positions definitely helped with my ceramic work

One final ? -
what is this overtime you speak of ?

H

Holly93

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback.

In my experience for every seasoned denture/removable tech that retires further dilutes a labor pool that is already small. How many apprenticeship and school programs are out there? Very few are still standing.

Overtime.....If I need multiple acrylic stayplates or the like, I need to have techs stay late or pay extra to some techs i've known for years to do me a favor.

I am curious a denture tech with 10+ years of experience? You stated you are transitioning C&B techs over - so while they may have 10+ years on that side - they are realativly new to the denture side ?
I will most certainly agree sometimes finding the right person in any field can be a long task esp in this industry most qualified techs aren’t looking for jobs
I learned how to do set ups during the MDT program but Have been a ceramist for 20 plus years

As stated in a previous post learning the land marks and positions definitely helped with my ceramic work

One final ? -
what is this overtime you speak of ?
he feedback

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
You answered your own question. Transitioning. Facts are facts... Dentures command budget pricing-- you are not going to be able to pay a denture tech $100k/yr+ benefits if you don't charge for your work. BTW. $100k/yr is reasonable for a seasoned tech.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
I hope you understand these things you mention:
(Wax rim adaptation to the projected arch form?
Angulation of anterior’s or posteriors is hit or miss?)

Are not the tech's problem but the teacher's problem. With proper education these are all no brainers. If they been doing C&B there may be some resistance to change but handle it positively and they will come up to speed. IF they value your employment....

B

Bonter

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a couple of C&B techs being transitioned/trained into removable techs. I have been getting complaints about our lab works consistency. This is mostly coming from the transitioning Technicians.

In a previous Private message with JMN he had some good Feedback on this, below is some of what we discussed, but I also wanted to open it to the community:

Existing schools of thought:

A) Ask minimal questions (Seating time in minutes, Pt satisfaction 1-10, Clinical issues at delivery-please list) as if you take up time with 10 questions on each case you'll either annoy them or they won't answer.

B) Asking for feedback encourages them to look for problems and everything has problems if you look, so don't.

C)
Send a detailed form with select cases and offer a reduced fee for form completion.

Any adherents to all of the above care to comment?

As of right now I am handling every case and see every office routinely. I get feedback on the spot.

In preparation for a larger staff I have made it very clear that I am always available to discuss a case or assist in case planning. I make sure the licensees have my personal cell number and know that I want them to reach out for the bad and the good. When I do that, most give me theirs as well and ask me to call them directly. In the event I need input on a decision when they are out of the office, including evenings. In many instances, I will hold off starting a complicate case until I receive marching orders from the dentist.

When I get a general complaint about dental appliance consistency. I Ask them to be specific in their issues. What is inconsistent? Internally I have begun to track what technician’s are crafting cases for whom. I have a very fast denturist, who doesn’t make aesthetically pleasing cases, some doctors mind, others don’t. New dentists also have had a criteria of receiving a StayPlate that needs no adjustment, and don’t want to hear that the staff poured models with bad distortion, or even no opposing model.

As of now I work hard for every client to ask what they like. Keep notes. I am in the process of building a clinic file of what they expect or are meaning. I have found that familiarizing the current denture techs to repeat casework, they are adjusting to complaints.

More specific to everyone. What suggestions on feedback would everyone suggest?

For instance:

Wax rim adaptation to the projected arch form?
Angulation of anterior’s or posteriors is hit or miss?

I was hoping to reach out to the community on who might have a standard (template or otherwise) questionnaire or advice on a time proven way to communicate with dentists on case feedback?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
What do you know about dentures? Did you ever do them yourself? First you have to be a pro yourself than teach your people to do the best, than you can deal with the dentists.