crowns/puck assumption

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Greetings all.

Wondering what you mill owners assume as the number of units you'll get from a puck for material costs purposes.

We used to charge for the metal, but now we do one size pricing even though there is less molars per puck than bicispids or centrals. If you can charge molar prices for premolars why not, right?

Has anyone bothered trying a price model other than more for anterior/less for posterior?

The increased ability to accuratly quote out a situation has certainly been nice, but I also wonder if that isn't hurting the idea that we are artisians producing custom work and helping the idea that we're pushing a button and with rare exception a crown is a crown.

Thoughts?

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
The only other pricing model I have seen is more for Multiple units or splinted units.
Ie: 1-6units $129. 6+units $149
Or: single unit $129, bridge unit $159.

The basic assumptions this kind of pricing promotes is that a larger case is more complex therefore deserves a higher price.
The bridge vs unsplinted unit rationale is of course flawed cuz we make Far more profit on a 3 unit bridge than on 3 singles, in fact we would have to raise our prices if we did fewer bridge units. The pricing seems like it would imvite pushback, but since dentists charge full price for a Pontic that they do nothing for (compared to prepping a tooth for an abutment),I think even they would see the hypocrisy of arguing against giving a larger percentage to the lab on bridges lol

I don’t use either, it’s just what I have seen.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I think my Drs like simple. I charge one price for FCZ, one price for anything layered...PFZ, LiSi, e.Max.
(Pressables are the upper price even if I dont layer).

Im around 18 to 20 per puck Zr.

Ive found a solid plan for improving profits...

Work more.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
but now we do one size pricing even though there is less molars per puck than bicispids or centrals
At the end it is a miss mash of molars, anteriors etc, it evens out.

Also, I don't think the pure cost of the puck is really relevant. If you take an average of 20 units, per puck, your costs are from 5-10 dollars per unit, depending on your brand selection and puck size (thickness). All the associated cost like labor, depreciation, initial investment, etc are much more relevant.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
We average 24-27 units/puck. My staff doesnt use islands for support, but rather beefs up connector diameter for milling struts. When they are done I get a hollow circle.

OpalEssence

OpalEssence

Reaction score
We average 24-27 units/puck. My staff doesnt use islands for support, but rather beefs up connector diameter for milling struts. When they are done I get a hollow circle.
isn't advisable to leave islands to keep the puck firm enough not to break during milling ?

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
isn't advisable to leave islands to keep the puck firm enough not to break during milling ?
Sure, but I like seeing my price/unit drop way down. More units, better profitability.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i estimate 20-22 units per puck and routinely get 24-28 units per puck. not all pucks obviously but most. since my pricing is based off the 20-22 per puck any extras is a few extra bucks in the account at the end of the month.

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
i average 25-30 units a puck with a mix of posterior and anterior units. Can't be afraidr to over lap milling circles close especially if your the only one doing the milling. i think the lowest number I got out of a ZR puck is 25 units and 20 of them were molars. if you are experienced in nesting units u should definitely get atleast 25 units a puck in ZR. I average 40-50 units in my wax pucks. We use AG machines which in my opinion are really good machines cause i can over lap milling circles really close and get close to border without puck breakage. We use Nacera(Doceram) brand pucks which can with stand the intense milling. never had a milling issue except when i first started and had to get used to the milling process.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Thats tough to believe,plus the math is funky. IF you can get 25 to 30 in a Zr puck, assume scaling at 1.25 then the same units actual size would fit in wax at 31 to 37.

Sorry Bro. Ive gotta throw a flag on the play.
bs.jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the above 2 posts, as I was feeling a little inadequate with some of the numbers posted.
With Beyond's lower shrink rate, I could probably easily get 24, but I tend to keep islands as Opal said.
I know I could save money with better nesting, but I hate the sound of the crown hitting the floor 70% of the way through a mill.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Thats tough to believe,plus the math is funky. IF you can get 25 to 30 in a Zr puck, assume scaling at 1.25 then the same units actual size would fit in wax at 31 to 37.

Sorry Bro. Ive gotta throw a flag on the play.
View attachment 33505
i routinely get 25-30 units per puck. and easily 30-40 in wax.
your flag is DENIED!
i even posted pics and will gladly shoot some over to you if you want

user name

user name

Reaction score
I want to see. Im not super stingy and could probably do better, but Im usually at 17 to 20.

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
i agree with sideshowbob, if you know what you r doing 25-30 units in ZR is definately not unrealistic. U must be using crappy ZR or a a crappy mill because like sideshowbob i would be more than willing to share pics of puck i have nested. not hard to fit that many units at all when using a good mill good ZR and a good nesting software.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I want to see. Im not super stingy and could probably do better, but Im usually at 17 to 20.
there are variables that come into play but you should be able to do better. im happy to help if i can

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Id like to see a couple of your ZI ones, please. I'm sure you posted this before, maybe even in a PM to me?
Are you walking them back from the outer edge, in, overlapping using only 2 sprues?
I am happy to get 20 per puck. I'm in the 18-20 range along with user name.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
i agree with sideshowbob, if you know what you r doing 25-30 units in ZR is definately not unrealistic. U must be using crappy ZR or a a crappy mill because like sideshowbob i would be more than willing to share pics of puck i have nested. not hard to fit that many units at all when using a good mill good ZR and a good nesting software.

We're both using good ZI and mills, it's probably just a nesting technique thing.

Top Bottom