I asked my owner to get more money.
He said most ceramic tec gets 28.
I do 6 -7 PFM crowns in a day.
Sometimes more than 10 units.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
All relative to speed, quality, leadership...and still it comes down to what the boss lady or man is willing to fork over. I think LMT does national averages for here in the states, not sure about Canada though (especially since your Trudeau rate of currency has fallen of late).

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
All relative to speed, quality, leadership...and still it comes down to what the boss lady or man is willing to fork over. I think LMT does national averages for here in the states, not sure about Canada though (especially since your Trudeau rate of currency has fallen of late).
Venezuelan food stamps are now our currency.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I asked my owner to get more money.
He said most ceramic tec gets 28.
I do 6 -7 PFM crowns in a day.
Sometimes more than 10 units.
To be honest, when you mentioned pfm, you sent a chill down my spine.
I'm not sure I would be asking for a raise at this time.
Then again you may be last tech on the planet that still makes them.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
He is of a dying breed...
.. mark my words, 40 years ceramic tech here... in another ten years I'll be worth more than now.Laugh.. saw it happen with my dad in another field but same kinda situation....still do about 15 or 20 a month for a local lab... anyway back to original poster.. now a days you'll probably have to get paid for quality rather than quantity because there is less there.... $28 an hour for 6 -7 crowns is decent in my book. You dont mention whether or not you can handle 10-12 crowns , single or bridge on one arch..

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
.. mark my words, 40 years ceramic tech here... in another ten years I'll be worth more than now.Laugh..
Oh, I agree. Doing a lower, 7 unit screw retained pfm implant bridge, as we speak...

doug

doug

Reaction score
Simple google search show that $28 Canadian is around $21 US, so there's that to compare.

Tradewindj

Tradewindj

Reaction score
Yes, Dying breed indeed. I have four ceramist's to layer PFM/ZIR. One ceramist has moved to digital/implants and one is working in dentures now. The two ceramist's remaining at $28-30 hourly for 12-14 excellent units a day.

P

PLB

Reaction score
I’m still doing pfm’s for a couple of accounts in NH. $28-30 (US dollars) sounds about right. I agree that it’s now about quality vs. quantity.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
I’m still doing pfm’s for a couple of accounts in NH. $28-30 (US dollars) sounds about right. I agree that it’s now about quality vs. quantity.
I have a question, you can laugh but I am serious. What is involved with building porcelain for that amount of money. Finishing (grinding or several build ups) and glazing included? I have been practicing layering techniques for the high end look (not there yet, I need guidance),is this expected? I reside in CA and from what I see, its all slap slap let the grinder and glazer deal with it. Not me!

user name

user name

Reaction score
To do it right, the idea is to build in layers, similar to what we see in natural teeth. The old days of PFM (UGH),I would often see a monochrom opaque without regard to the finished product. then 90% build with dentin and hit the occlusal with some incisal. Grind it back for contour and your left with a labial/buccal made out of dentin over an incorrect value opaque. Yuk.
Finding a good color scheme of opaque is a make or break. Doing PFZ with nice Zr is so much nicer for starters. On old PFM, dentins should be treated simply as a core material. Then do a final contour over the whole tooth with enamel. It was fun, time consuming,and drove many to drink.
With PFZ, having a variety of materials to start with I feel is important. So many Zrs look different. Know what you have and can use/match, then its just minimal enamel layering. You can adjust value a bit and scatter light better than plain reflective Zr.

(This is where the MiYo CoolAid crowd chime in.)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
No one is stopping you from layering over milo.
Better than looking like mayo.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I have a question, you can laugh but I am serious. What is involved with building porcelain for that amount of money. Finishing (grinding or several build ups) and glazing included? I have been practicing layering techniques for the high end look (not there yet, I need guidance),is this expected? I reside in CA and from what I see, its all slap slap let the grinder and glazer deal with it. Not me!
I still do some piece work for a few labs / friends in my area.. for pfm...degass- polished and ready for insert.$ 38...and I consder that to be low...

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
I still do some piece work for a few labs / friends in my area.. for pfm...degass- polished and ready for insert.$ 38...and I consder that to be low...
Thanks. Degas to finished crown. Yes, it seems low.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
To do it right, the idea is to build in layers, similar to what we see in natural teeth. The old days of PFM (UGH),I would often see a monochrom opaque without regard to the finished product. then 90% build with dentin and hit the occlusal with some incisal. Grind it back for contour and your left with a labial/buccal made out of dentin over an incorrect value opaque. Yuk.
Finding a good color scheme of opaque is a make or break. Doing PFZ with nice Zr is so much nicer for starters. On old PFM, dentins should be treated simply as a core material. Then do a final contour over the whole tooth with enamel. It was fun, time consuming,and drove many to drink.
With PFZ, having a variety of materials to start with I feel is important. So many Zrs look different. Know what you have and can use/match, then its just minimal enamel layering. You can adjust value a bit and scatter light better than plain reflective Zr.

(This is where the MiYo CoolAid crowd chime in.)
The fun part about being small is I get to examine the porcelain. I have learned quite a bit. We like to apply glass in two stages. Dentin for first bake, then the incisals for the second. The docs seem to appreciate my efforts. You are right about the Yuk of assembly line dental lab porcelain.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Change the language. Calling it 'incisal' porcelain infers a location. Its enamel, and should cover the entire crown.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Quote : Thanks. Degas to finished crown. Yes, it seems low.

Its just for a couple guys.. past their retirement age.....It keeps me in the loop for hopefully a couple of accounts when they do..