University of Michigan shows off awesome new Vat stereolithography curing method.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We're gonna need some smart people to get the full explanation. Please, somebody, step up.

By all of the ways this change in method improves the process we have sitting in the lab in our currently available vat style printers this will allow more of a true 3d print instead of solidifying one layer after another with the issues that layer boundaries create as it will be almost extruded as a single monolithic part.
(don't misunderstand, it still uses a slicing engine to get the layers, and it's still doing one layer at a time like a tv shows one picture at a time, but this will let the pictures show fast enough to make a slideshow a movie)

More strength, more speed, more material choices, more resolution purity. Yes Please! Shut up and take my money!

Short version: University of Michigan has a system that the liquid in the vat responds to two different wavelengths of light that can be used to simultaneously keep the liquid from curing and to make the liquid cure. No curing right at the window to allow much denser/higher viscosty liquids to be made/used and also will let the liquid refill the gap faster in larger space.
easy website: https://news.engin.umich.edu/2019/01/3d-printing-100-times-faster/

Long version: (yes I'm rambling a bit below. Sorry)
We're gonna need a bigger boat, er brain.
(warning - serious run on sentance issues ahead. My neruons are suing for more pay.)

By using both wavelengths at the same time the curing is prevented. When using only the initiator wavelength the material cures.

This is supposed to allow for much more precise start/end points for the material and then following on that more precise pixel perfect constructions.

This will speed up vat printing systems since the liquid is not trying to adhere to the glass the light is against/coming through as this new method keeps the contact area bathed in the inhibitor allowing the 'used' material to have new uncured liquid replensished and ready at the interface layer much faster since there is far more room for it to move.

This same distance and method of action in this new appproach is what lets more viscous liquids be used now as they are able to 'fit' in the gap between the interface layer and the light emission equipment where they were not able to fill rapidly enough before, if it ws possible to use some of them at all, the next layer can be exposed to light. In two words: Slow & Bubbles

BSc version with big words:
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/1/eaau8723.full

(totally not germane, but I really like this little bluetooth keyboard/trackpad to use with the tablety things. So much for fat thumb induced spelling errors. Only genuine spelling errors allowed! MUuaahahaahahahh. HAaaahahahahahaa. Also, I've the sneaking suspision that I clobbered a sentance or two with the trackpad inserting my typing at the middle of something. But couldn't find it. Let me know if you find Waldo.)

Attachments

• 2019-01-15 22.06.22.jpg
    2019-01-15 22.06.22.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom