3D prints fails problems

M

Maggie H

Reaction score
Hello, anyone here has moonray S, my boss bought two..we started to print all models.. We had problems with retainers fitting, indirect bonding tray fitting issues....trying to figure out. Any suggestions and tips? Thank you all!!

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I have the Moonray D. I print models and the occasional surgical guide.

What resin are you using? How is your post print processing? Are you curing with a light?

M

Maggie H

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. We use gray, 30 mins 60 C in Curebox.
we have 2, printed for same patient, one is not accurate, called service guy today.
Does hallowed model have less accuracy than solid? we make a lot of essix retainer for ortho final models

M

Maggie H

Reaction score
we use biostar to make retainers.

Theo T

Theo T

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. We use gray, 30 mins 60 C in Curebox.
we have 2, printed for same patient, one is not accurate, called service guy today.
Does hallowed model have less accuracy than solid? we make a lot of essix retainer for ortho final models
Depends a lot on the thickness of the hollowed model, and on the orientation you print the model.

The most accurate way to print will usually be a solid model, printed flat on the print bed.

Printing hollow may seem like your saving resin, but in reality, unless you're ok with copious drain holes, you're losing most of that resin in the wash process. Printing hollow also introduces issues with internal overhangs, which can affect accuracy.

Printing vertically is a somewhat common practice, but almost invariably results in overhangs over 45 degrees, which most printers don't like much, so you lose accuracy.

If you have a scanner, you can scan the printed model and compare it to the original STL. I do this to diagnose some of our fit issues...here's an example of a print that had some accuracy issues at the gingival margin:
23wxsKv.jpg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what software did you use Theo ?

Theo T

Theo T

Reaction score
what software did you use Theo ?
That one was done with 3DReshaper, which is the prettiest option I've found, and also includes the distribution map on the right, which is nice. You can also do something similar in Ortho Analyzer, it's called "Model Set Compare". Or if aesthetics aren't that important, there's a piece of freeware called CloudCompare that works pretty darn well.

M

Maggie H

Reaction score
That one was done with 3DReshaper, which is the prettiest option I've found, and also includes the distribution map on the right, which is nice. You can also do something similar in Ortho Analyzer, it's called "Model Set Compare". Or if aesthetics aren't that important, there's a piece of freeware called CloudCompare that works pretty darn well.
Thank you so much, that is what I need to learn.