Microlayering "Basic Kit"

O

omsk

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I do full contour zirconia pretty much all the time. I have little to no experience using porcelain. I am able to add a contacts every now and then.

There are cases where I feel would look a lot better if I was able to add some clear porcelain on the incisal or on the facial of the crowns.

I wanted to learn how to do this on my free time. What would you say are the essential or basic powders to do this? Like I said I want to slowly learn but I don't really want to buy a full kit that I most likely won't use all of it. Also I am trying to keep it very basic by only layering the incisal or the facial. Nothing too fancy.

Thanks!

Really liking the new look on the forum :)

A

adl

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I do full contour zirconia pretty much all the time. I have little to no experience using porcelain. I am able to add a contacts every now and then.

There are cases where I feel would look a lot better if I was able to add some clear porcelain on the incisal or on the facial of the crowns.

I wanted to learn how to do this on my free time. What would you say are the essential or basic powders to do this? Like I said I want to slowly learn but I don't really want to buy a full kit that I most likely won't use all of it. Also I am trying to keep it very basic by only layering the incisal or the facial. Nothing too fancy.

Thanks!

Really liking the new look on the forum :)
Try MIYO

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
GC ZR: CLF, 58,60, EOP1,2 maybe a little TO

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Something from the emax Ceram family may work well, too. I use ZI-F, which is a bit higher temp wise ~ 810-815c but I have it adjusted
to fire on emax and zi. ZI-F neutral, opal translucent would work. With emax Ceram, it fires at a lower temp, making it a little easier to do a
emax add on that may eventually come your way.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i would also like to say......go for Jensen's Miyo. hands down the best for microlayering, especially if you arent familiar with using porcelains. you can get superb results at a novice level.

S

sonlab

Reaction score
Any tips on changing shade from D3 to D2 using Miyo?
If you can give detailed instructions- first time using it

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Any tips on changing shade from D3 to D2 using Miyo?
If you can give detailed instructions- first time using it
as @adl mentioned, use the lumin colors and then add anything else you decide. pretty straight forward and ive been able to take an a3.5 and go to a2 easily. so d3 to d2 should be easy as well.

L

labtek

Reaction score
as @adl mentioned, use the lumin colors and then add anything else you decide. pretty straight forward and ive been able to take an a3.5 and go to a2 easily. so d3 to d2 should be easy as well.

do you have any pictures of the results you achieved doing this?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
do you have any pictures of the results you achieved doing this?
i took an A3 to A1 awhile back, and was able to get an OM2 from an A1 as well. i think i took pics, will look and see if i did and post them....i may have posted them on the Miyo thread

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
He has to buy the whole kit for more than a $1100 to do what again? Any company can sell him a single add on porcelain just for that. Miyo in my opinion is 10years late and toooo expensive. Oh and do not call it stain kit, Jensen will be very upset with you.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
He has to buy the whole kit for more than a $1100 to do what again? Any company can sell him a single add on porcelain just for that. Miyo in my opinion is 10years late and toooo expensive. Oh and do not call it stain kit, Jensen will be very upset with you.
have you used it?
i have a drawer full of porcelains for microlayering that i dont open anymore. Miyo replaced them all.
its better, easier to use, more consistent, faster (by a lot),and get better results at least for me and others i know using it. my GC Initial and Emax porcelains sit in the drawer now....and its not because they cost less....

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
and let me note, i do NOT get paid or compensated by Jensen (or any companies) for posting my thoughts here.

K

KIM

Reaction score
Just reading the comments now, lol. I tend not to jump in on this area of the DLN too much as I am trying to be respectful of the discussions between techs, lab owners, etc. Sideshowbob, thank you for the comments on MiYO, appreciate that! I'll start the paperwork on your payroll, haha.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
have you used it?
i have a drawer full of porcelains for microlayering that i dont open anymore. Miyo replaced them all.
its better, easier to use, more consistent, faster (by a lot),and get better results at least for me and others i know using it. my GC Initial and Emax porcelains sit in the drawer now....and its not because they cost less....
Miyo might be a good choice for some people and just for anterior crowns. Just in case your Dr decided, for one reason or another, to adjust that crown, then what happens. My decision was to go with 3D zirconia. It is not just multilayered, it is multi strength too. Which means it starts 900mp at the button of the crown to 600mp at the top with 49% translucency. No stains needed most of the time. And if my dentist decided to grind on it, no change in color.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Miyo might be a good choice for some people and just for anterior crowns. Just in case your Dr decided, for one reason or another, to adjust that crown, then what happens. My decision was to go with 3D zirconia. It is not just multilayered, it is multi strength too. Which means it starts 900mp at the button of the crown to 600mp at the top with 49% translucency. No stains needed most of the time. And if my dentist decided to grind on it, no change in color.
we offer similar stuff as well
but when porcelain fused to zirconia is requested....

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
How much is he grinding? contacts maybe and a slight occlusal adjustment that goes shiny anyway. Miyo on posteriors is the only way to go.I f my crowns were that far off I'd retire.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
How much is he grinding? contacts maybe and a slight occlusal adjustment that goes shiny anyway. Miyo on posteriors is the only way to go.I f my crowns were that far off I'd retire.
good point. i got a call from the linked case i completed in this thread...Dr said the patient was ecstatic and she had zero adjustments on anything for the insert. 6 unit micro layered anterior cosmetic case and it took longer to remove temp cement than to seat all 6 crowns. grinding? what grinding?