Burs for Zirconia

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on plastic tweezers/hemostats, or rubber tipped tweezers/hemostats for holding green state zirconia. Possibly something that locks.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on plastic tweezers/hemostats, or rubber tipped tweezers/hemostats for holding green state zirconia. Possibly something that locks.
im using plastic college pliers from Nowak. tips are a bit large and bulky but trimming them down was easy.
i had been using metal ones but really was nervous about it and figured before i screw something up i should switch lol

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
8 pack for 3.50 https://www.sciplus.com/plastic-tweezers-42002-p
PL029.jpg

8 pack for 3.25 https://www.sciplus.com/loopend-tweezers-48709-p
hole about 9/16 by 3/8 so you can cradle instead of squeeze.
48709.jpg

Plus, their catalog is hillarious.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I understand your reasons Lindsay, but i'm only going to say i really am disappointed in the people here who accept faulty work coming from their machines, accepting it as Normal, and suggesting this is what happens for everyone. this is by far NOT the case for anyone who operates their milling or printing with Quality assurance and standard Quality Control checks in-and-out of the machines.

yes, I understand in this instance its not your bridge, not your mill, that does not mean these checks and balances don't apply. clearly whoever made this bridge for you needs their process examined.

the best way to mill a bridge is *right the first time* not "anything will do, even if i have to grind it"

you should not be accepting product from a machine that does not produce what you asked it to produce.

Measure your product qualitatively and modify the milling parameters to suit. the only part of this process that should be unacceptable is thinking that the machine and the CAM doesn't need modification straight out of the box. the people that do this need to have their products thoroughly examined.

all that being said, the ceramists i used to work with used to swear only by irrigated handpieces for grinding zirconia. as for the tools they used i can't say because i don't really know.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Luke if you don't do the finishing of the final crown how could you possibly know what you designed/ milled is perfect?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Luke if you don't do the finishing of the final crown how could you possibly know what you designed/ milled is perfect?
thats why i left that lab. i got feedback things were wrong but i was tightly controlled to NOT modify the CAM or machines for fear of voided warranties and broken machines. so fine you get crowns with wrong bites and thats the and of the story.

what i can now prove beyond reasonable doubt is that the CAM is the biggest source of problems for people doing CADCAM. its a little field of data science called Metrology. download free Metrology software for most purposes on a free restricted Trial basis if you like.

here is a Metrology scan of a bridge, the dark blue is the edges of the designed bridge, while red and yellow and Green areas indicate how off the mill made it. we are comparing a scan of the milled bridge, to the CAD, 3 different tries at the same file.
350-test5.JPG 350-3rd retest.JPG 350 second retest.JPG

now, after modifying only the CAM parameters i was able to make that same bridge to this tolderance:
identical.JPG

this bridge is now perfectly milled to my design.

thats how i know how off it is even before the ceramists judge design and grind the heck out of it for funsies anyway.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I used to do hand waxing back in the day and checked the waxup with the porcelain Tech.

I would put my own spin in the anteriors and put anatomy in there. I take it to him and he would say "What the hell is this? make them square so I can adjust them and not have to add to it"

I just wasted so much time in his eyes but how was I supposed to learn anything if I just continued to make square looking teeth.

I would always look at the finished product then try to mimic what he did. But rarely did he ever say yep that looks good. It never looked like my waxup in the end.

I think the same thing kinda happens with design and milling. You get caught up looking at it on a screen then it translates to a physical product and you see things differently. Especially as time passes. You see things you want to change.

I don't understand why people think you need to get it right, straight out of the mill? It happens I'm sure but there is nothing wrong with adjustment after.

It's the same people who say a crown should take a certain amount of mouse clicks.

That's really interesting Luke. Glad you shared that. I know what it feels like to be chasing your tail trying to solve problems. You can't really blame a lab for not wanting to mess with the machines, they are sold ' this push button and forget it" from the Dental companies. I'm glad people like you are out there figuring out the ins and outs of what's capable.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i know exactly what you mean morty. what we had was an out-of-the-box imes that produced cases with mysteriously high bites. so we tested and found and solved that problem.

but precision is what all outsource centers should be capable of producing, expecially if you are sending bars and such. when people send to some place they expect to get back exactly what they asked for. that is quite literally the goal of this experiment - to prove it can be acheived, and that the CAM is the instrument of the precision here.

i'm not worried really, for crowns and such - but it is always helpful that the bite isn't off when it comes out of the mill. even if the shade isn't right, or the buccal walls are bulky.

if i can make a good bite, and acheive a good margin of accuracy, i'm set. i wont be sending out cases that need adjusting in those areas.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
thats why i left that lab. i got feedback things were wrong but i was tightly controlled to NOT modify the CAM or machines for fear of voided warranties and broken machines. so fine you get crowns with wrong bites and thats the and of the story.

what i can now prove beyond reasonable doubt is that the CAM is the biggest source of problems for people doing CADCAM. its a little field of data science called Metrology. download free Metrology software for most purposes on a free restricted Trial basis if you like.

here is a Metrology scan of a bridge, the dark blue is the edges of the designed bridge, while red and yellow and Green areas indicate how off the mill made it. we are comparing a scan of the milled bridge, to the CAD, 3 different tries at the same file.
View attachment 31085 View attachment 31086 View attachment 31087

now, after modifying only the CAM parameters i was able to make that same bridge to this tolderance:
View attachment 31088

this bridge is now perfectly milled to my design.

thats how i know how off it is even before the ceramists judge design and grind the heck out of it for funsies anyway.
want to come tweak things?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
want to come tweak things?
when we roll out our secret sauce to the world i won't need to come to you to tweak things. if you simply mill a file, scan it, send the design and the scan of the product to me, i'll be able to fix you remotely.

because i would need 6 months with any other CAM software to make it do what i want.

trust me when i say this is part of the plan.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
when we roll out our secret sauce to the world i won't need to come to you to tweak things. if you simply mill a file, scan it, send the design and the scan of the product to me, i'll be able to fix you remotely.

because i would need 6 months with any other CAM software to make it do what i want.

trust me when i say this is part of the plan.
ETA?