Should I get a shell blaster?

Trey

Trey

Reaction score
So we tend to have a lot of stone sticking to dentures after processing. Both on the basal surface and between the teeth. I don't like using putty because it has too much give/flex during processing. I've tried many different cleaning, boiling and separator methods but we still get sticking stone.

We have never used a shell blaster but thought that might be a quick way to remove stone.

Thoughts?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
That's how most do it.
I rarely have to resort to it finishing my own stuff.
It is important to get all wax off the teeth. Even if you have to make several passes to do it.
Seal interproximals well and avoid deep crevasses. Never floss a wax up.

I know the waxer likes to sling it out quick, but even going over it a few times is nothing compared to the time wasted trying to clean up a dirty process.

I too avoid putty/elastomerics.

Push comes to shove, a shell blaster is good way go.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Trey,
Would not work in this without a shell balster. A plus that I have found on the facial / buccal of the teeth during processing
is using a PVS impression material (90 shore hardness). Placing a thin layer works the best. Purchased it off Ebay from a company in California.
My normal routine is once they are divested, utilizing a Renfert air chisel. All shell blasted then placed in stone remover.
This works very effective and keeps the work flow going. Note: No tooth movement!
I know some out there have posted that they do the same placing a putty over top the the full prosthesis. Not rocket science to see that
some movement can take place.
Also note that I am using Ivocap material in the Ivobase machines. Using electric as the heat source, materials of PVS do have different effects, (expansion).
The one above I am using has been rock solid.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Now I see what Ive been missing, I dont process enough to justify having one and I use putty to process. They sell walnut blasters at harbor freight, might be worth a try.

B

Brandon Patrick

Reaction score
So we tend to have a lot of stone sticking to dentures after processing. Both on the basal surface and between the teeth. I don't like using putty because it has too much give/flex during processing. I've tried many different cleaning, boiling and separator methods but we still get sticking stone.

We have never used a shell blaster but thought that might be a quick way to remove stone.

Thoughts?
A shell blaster is certainly a nice tool to have, but its possible that a few small changes could make it an unnecessary expense. I've used a shell blaster in the past and it can come in handy for other things, such as cleaning the vacuum mixing bowls when you let the stone set up in them (It's happened to all of us right? lol). I currently don't use one though. I don't use putty either, but I invest in 3 layers. It takes a few more minutes of waiting for stone to set, but I don't mind. It's important to not boil out too long 8-10 mins max I would say, or else the wax soaks into and seals the cast from the separator. Use clean boiling water (and not the dirty wax water in the tank) to rinse residual wax from the investment halves. I also do 2 coats of separator on each. It's a possibility that if the flasks are still too hot from boil-out, that some separators can evaporate before they've fully soaked into the cast. For the most part I have very little stone to clean (maybe in some cervical and interproximal areas) and unless there are tight undercuts I can usually recover the master model as well. You may have already follow some of these procedures, but if not I hope it helps!

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score
E11C99B3-8558-454E-9693-763ADE0B51B8.jpeg 0D09AB6D-25AA-49C8-A893-DAFB94EBB223.jpeg A shell blaster is one of the most important piece of equipment in my lab.
Even thought I don't have to use it with all my cases, Ivoclar separating foil is the best,
but the shell blaster is most appreciated when I get one of those lovely repairs where the
prothesis is buried under all kind of nasty deposits. Yuk.Banghead

I just deflasked these, no shellblasting needed thanks to ivoclar seperator.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
View attachment 30270 View attachment 30271 A shell blaster is one of the most important piece of equipment in my lab.
Even thought I don't have to use it with all my cases, Ivoclar separating foil is the best,
but the shell blaster is most appreciated when I get one of those lovely repairs where the

looks great!
whats so good about the ivoclar sep? we are injecting here with the snowrock machine. been trying diff methods of investing and separating to see whats best. the tech is harassing me for a shell blaster....its just not in the budget right now haha! but may have to since hes constantly having to dig out stone from proximals and inside the ridge. going to get on him about cleaning the wax up more as well. that will surely help

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with snowrock, do you use regular acrylic?

I've used many different separators over the years, all of them had a common problem, they peel off, never had this with Ivoclar's.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
looks great!
whats so good about the ivoclar sep? we are injecting here with the snowrock machine. been trying diff methods of investing and separating to see whats best. the tech is harassing me for a shell blaster....its just not in the budget right now haha! but may have to since hes constantly having to dig out stone from proximals and inside the ridge. going to get on him about cleaning the wax up more as well. that will surely help

I've used many different separators over the years, all of them had a common problem, they peel off, never had this with Ivoclar's.
I've been so impressed with the APS separator from DVA that I actually called them to say so. Can apply it to hot or cold models and never ever has given a second of trouble.
I have a near full gallon of alginate based separator if anyone wants it for the price of shipping.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

yes we use keystone sledgehammer and diamond d as well as snowrock

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Try this and see if it works for you as well as it does me.

Get a set of 16 fl oz tupperware knockoffs from the dollar tree. Fill them with plaster and stone remover to at least 1cm over the prosthetic. Seal lid and put it on the vibrator for a bit. Works wonders for things that are not bonded to the acrylic, but just mechanically stuck.
Edit:
Honestly it's just a cobbled 60hz sonicator, but with a large vibrator you can run a batch at once.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I've been so impressed with the APS separator from DVA that I actually called them to say so. Can apply it to hot or cold models and never ever has given a second of trouble.
I have a near full gallon of alginate based separator if anyone wants it for the price of shipping.
My favorite. Hands down. No shelf life either. Boggles the mind why more people don't know this one

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Try this and see if it works for you as well as it does me.

Get a set of 16 fl oz tupperware knockoffs from the dollar tree. Fill them with plaster and stone remover to at least 1cm over the prosthetic. Seal lid and put it on the vibrator for a bit. Works wonders for things that are not bonded to the acrylic, but just mechanically stuck.
Edit:
Honestly it's just a cobbled 60hz sonicator, but with a large vibrator you can run a batch at once.
Wow. That's clever. Never cease to be amazed by the problem solving in this work.

D

David Laville

Reaction score

Thoughts?

I have one. My dentures breakout clean and I only get a little stone in the embrasures or tissue side. 99% of the time a few minutes in the ultrasonic removes it but it's good to have it that 1% of the time when needed, like today to remove from stone from the inside of a splint. I have one like this, doesn't take up much room and is more that adequate for my needs;
HTSBC90-02.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
View attachment 30270 View attachment 30271 A shell blaster is one of the most important piece of equipment in my lab.

hey whats the name or item number for that ivoclar sep liquid? is that the Iso-K?
we are at the stage where we want to try something better!

D

Davesgone

Reaction score
Wh
I have one. My dentures breakout clean and I only get a little stone in the embrasures or tissue side. 99% of the time a few minutes in the ultrasonic removes it but it's good to have it that 1% of the time when needed, like today to remove from stone from the inside of a splint. I have one like this, doesn't take up much room and is more that adequate for my needs;
HTSBC90-02.jpg
Where did you get that shell blaster from?

Top Bottom