Form 2 Castable Resin

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
Is anybody using the castable resin cartridge with their Form 2?

Thinking of switching over to 3d printing all of our pfm and pressable stuff to save time.

How many single units would you estimate that you can get from a single tank?

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
Hello,

As someone who works at Formlabs I can answer your question. We've had some users have success with printing castable and pressable parts on the Form 2 and, to be honest, we've had some users with less them optimal results. We are very aware of the current issues people are seeing and I can honestly say we are working on a solution that will fix the issue. The good thing is it's a resin issue not a hardware or printer problem. I would say more but I have to leave it at that, sorry it's not a direct "Yes, do it" or "No, don't do it".

To answer your units per liter of resin question:

3 unit bridge, with supports - 2.04 ml of resin to print - you can print 490 of these parts with one liter of resin and it would cost about 61 cents per pattern

Full contour single, molar, with supports - 1.41 ml of resin to print - you can print 709 of these parts with one liter of resin and it would cost about 42 cents per pattern

I just did a full Form 2 build plate with 50/50 single full contour molar and 3 unit bridges and I fit 38 total parts and it will take 5 h 15 mins to print

You can always download our nesting software for free, import your STL files and see how much material the print will take and see print times.
https://formlabs.com/tools/preform/

I hope this helps and will add updates when they arise.

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
Hello,

As someone who works at Formlabs I can answer your question. We've had some users have success with printing castable and pressable parts on the Form 2 and, to be honest, we've had some users with less them optimal results. We are very aware of the current issues people are seeing and I can honestly say we are working on a solution that will fix the issue. The good thing is it's a resin issue not a hardware or printer problem. I would say more but I have to leave it at that, sorry it's not a direct "Yes, do it" or "No, don't do it".

To answer your units per liter of resin question:

3 unit bridge, with supports - 2.04 ml of resin to print - you can print 490 of these parts with one liter of resin and it would cost about 61 cents per pattern

Full contour single, molar, with supports - 1.41 ml of resin to print - you can print 709 of these parts with one liter of resin and it would cost about 42 cents per pattern

I just did a full Form 2 build plate with 50/50 single full contour molar and 3 unit bridges and I fit 38 total parts and it will take 5 h 15 mins to print

You can always download our nesting software for free, import your STL files and see how much material the print will take and see print times.
https://formlabs.com/tools/preform/

I hope this helps and will add updates when they arise.

Thanks Sam! I'll give it a shot and see what kind of results we get.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I press with grey resin with no issues. Shouldn't need to use castsble resin.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Do you need to modify your burnout cycle at all?
Normally with any resin patterns, it would be recommended to do a two stage burnout from a cold oven (according to the investment IFU). Although, there are a couple new investments on the market that have been developed to withstand the stress of burning out these materials (our PressVest Premium is one of them).

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
Normally with any resin patterns, it would be recommended to do a two stage burnout from a cold oven (according to the investment IFU). Although, there are a couple new investments on the market that have been developed to withstand the stress of burning out these materials (our PressVest Premium is one of them).

Thanks Patrick!

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Do you need to modify your burnout cycle at all?
I put it in a hot oven and burn out for 1 hr. So far all have pressed successfully. (about 10 units) I'm going to start bringing down the burnout time 10 mins at a time until I get failure and will tweak from there. I use my normal pressing investment that I normally use for pressing if waxing

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
I put it in a hot oven and burn out for 1 hr. So far all have pressed successfully. (about 10 units) I'm going to start bringing down the burnout time 10 mins at a time until I get failure and will tweak from there. I use my normal pressing investment that I normally use for pressing if waxing

Thanks! I'll use that as a starting point and venture from there.:)

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll use that as a starting point and venture from there.:)

I think the curing cycle is pretty important. I use the form cure 60 degrees and 60 mins in glycerine. If the resin doesn't cure fully, it can't burn our Completely. I also turn the investment mold upside down in the burnout. Resin needs oxygen to burn out well.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

If I may ask, what investment are you using? Always good to know alternatives for people who ask.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Resinvest from Whipmix has yielded good results for us

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
If I may ask, what investment are you using? Always good to know alternatives for people who ask.

I'm. Located in Australia and use Alphavest S sold by alphabond. I dont think there is anything special about the investment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom