Milling bur recommendations? (For ROLAND)

WENDY

WENDY

Reaction score
Any recommendations for milling burs? (For Zirconia)
I currently use milling burs from IDS and WHIPMIX.
Both good but wanted to try something new.

Thanks!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Try Sierra Dental Tools, Nano Di they also have a new 1mm out but beware it might not be set up for the strategies. I love the Nano di 2.5 and 1mm on my VHF S1 got the going well over 150 hours. No chipping.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Zro2 also has some good tools and also look into toolmak.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
We are trying out Argens diamond zr burs. Price is reasonable and they say 500 units out of a set. We'll see.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
I also use the Nano-Di burs. They're good but I haven't tried any others to compare.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
TD Dental Supply. I sent you a pm.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Any recommendations for milling burs? (For Zirconia)
I currently use milling burs from IDS and WHIPMIX.
Both good but wanted to try something new.

Thanks!
Wendy, i have tried 6 different brands. I am sold on using TD for my diamond and carbide tool needs. (i dont get paid to say this either). contact Ron, its worth it

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
I will second a vote for Ron. Great burs, we usually run em, argen wanted us to test drive their new tools.

WENDY

WENDY

Reaction score
I will second a vote for Ron. Great burs, we usually run em, argen wanted us to test drive their new tools.
Wendy, i have tried 6 different brands. I am sold on using TD for my diamond and carbide tool needs. (i dont get paid to say this either). contact Ron, its worth it
TD Dental Supply. I sent you a pm.
I also use the Nano-Di burs. They're good but I haven't tried any others to compare.
Zro2 also has some good tools and also look into toolmak.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS! :)

F

Fane

Reaction score
what brand of burs sell Ron? not all of us live in US... :)

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
All of our burs are made for us through a private manufacturer.
Diamonds are $50 & Carbide $21 for the Roland.

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
We are trying out Argens diamond zr burs. Price is reasonable and they say 500 units out of a set. We'll see.

From what I hear from rep Argen’s diamonds are only being sold to customers who buy their mills. If anyone knows anything different please pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
All of our burs are made for us through a private manufacturer.
Diamonds are $50 & Carbide $21 for the Roland.

If anyone has any ideas about how to dial in the TD burrs on a Roland 51d please pm me, I’m all ears, still got a set that I haven’t tried more than once because they didn’t give a good result for me. Possibly because my milling strategies are setup by CAP for their burrs. If anyone knows the geometries and the way to enter them into my mill I’d appreciate it! Having said that and based on some research I have done there’s a lot to be said about using high quality “expensive” burrs From Sierra/Zahn/CAP. They put a lot of R&d into their stuff and for good reason. From what I’m told the $ 4-6 difference/unit is well worth it.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I am using Datron manufactured burs and getting 90h for 2mm bur and 200+h for 1mm bur. 0.6mm has lasted ages :D

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
If anyone has any ideas about how to dial in the TD burrs on a Roland 51d please pm me, I’m all ears, still got a set that I haven’t tried more than once because they didn’t give a good result for me. Possibly because my milling strategies are setup by CAP for their burrs. If anyone knows the geometries and the way to enter them into my mill I’d appreciate it! Having said that and based on some research I have done there’s a lot to be said about using high quality “expensive” burrs From Sierra/Zahn/CAP. They put a lot of R&d into their stuff and for good reason. From what I’m told the $ 4-6 difference/unit is well worth it.

@sidesh0wb0b would you be so kind and chime in.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

i am using TD burs with CAP strategies in sum3d. no issues. actually better results than CAP tools. i was running through CAP tools at half their expected life. i can get well more than twice that out of TD tools with a better result.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
From what I hear from rep Argen’s diamonds are only being sold to customers who buy their mills. If anyone knows anything different please pm me.

They will sell to anyone. You can go on to argens website and order them if you have an account.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
They will sell to anyone. You can go on to argens website and order them if you have an account.
so by anyone you mean anyone with an account. pfffft argen favoritism!!!
(hint: i am being 100% sarcastic!)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

if you are experiencing poor performance from your tools, there are several things to check. 1. tool runout. 2. deflection. 3. vibration. 4. mill overpower.

tool runout means the amount of physical deformity the tool holder has in the chuck. if its not held straight, it wont cut straight!

Deflection is how much the tool turns into banana shape during milling. it could be that the cap tools allow for more flex in the tool than Ron's tools do. though i make no claims to know how banana shaped Ron's tool is. i imagine slight curve to the left...

Vibration can harm your machine long term. if your mill is on a wooden table that seems to wobble when its milling, consider adding leg supports to stop that. you want it to stay as rigid as possible because the vibration is inertia that isn't being absorbed, just deflected. this inertia is likely caused by making the machine go too fast, perfect segue into Mill Overpower; each spindle can be shown to have a certain amount of power at 100RPM, and a different amount of power at 30 000 RPM.and for the most part a linear transition through the power, tapering off the higher you go. beyond a certain point (different for every spindle) the power required to get more rpm starts growing exponentially. this means the curve does have an upper limit, based on input power. no, in zirconia manufacturing this power curve doesnt really mean a lot, other than to say the power of the spindle if it is going too fast will be detrimental to your tools and your crowns. in hard material manufacturing (i.e. if you were using a mill to cut stainless steel crowns, or titanium abutments) this power curve observation is critical for longevity sake. you want to know the machine isn't stable when it draws all 20amps from the wall, and act accordingly. not only limiting the input draw, but the output power as well, because you don't want to calculate that the maximum cutting speed of a Kennametal tool might be 29k RPM, but if your tool holders are only rated for 20k, you'll instantly know you have to back off from maximum or the runout will kill your tools. hence, knowingly and purposefully underpowering your process to preserve the life of the machine.