Denture Entrepreneur !

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Working from home? May find that working from the home, you never leave work no matter what your doing there.
Suggest finding a small building and utilize that.
You want to make money, you have to spend money. Not sure $10,000 will cut it.
Invest in equipment that is efficient for you to fabricate a prosthesis in a timely matter to your perfection. That time after time
is consistent. A rule of thumb on income. You want to make $60,000. As a business, you need to produce $180,000.
You pay yourself, lab profits, and overhead divided out as such. Run it as a business!
IMO. Digital is not profitable. Injection is consistent, and fast! Press pack, no comment.
#1. You need to present a prosthesis to the client that stands out from any others on the market that is consistent
at an affordable fee that they accept and also works in your business plan. That will make you be successful.
Wish you the best!

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score
Working from home? May find that working from the home, you never leave work no matter what your doing there.
Suggest finding a small building and utilize that.
You want to make money, you have to spend money. Not sure $10,000 will cut it.
Invest in equipment that is efficient for you to fabricate a prosthesis in a timely matter to your perfection. That time after time
is consistent. A rule of thumb on income. You want to make $60,000. As a business, you need to produce $180,000.
You pay yourself, lab profits, and overhead divided out as such. Run it as a business!
IMO. Digital is not profitable. Injection is consistent, and fast! Press pack, no comment.
#1. You need to present a prosthesis to the client that stands out from any others on the market that is consistent
at an affordable fee that they accept and also works in your business plan. That will make you be successful.
Wish you the best!
Thanks for the advise. I see how keeping home and work separate would be something tho think about.
I have only packed dentures for processing. Are you saying injection is better or packing is better?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
You need to present a prosthesis to the client that stands out from any others on the market

Only one in ten of these clients would know the difference between a $500.00 dtr and a $75.00 denture as long as both are shiny.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
You need to present a prosthesis to the client that stands out from any others on the market

Only one in ten of these clients would know the difference between a $500.00 dtr and a $75.00 denture as long as both are shiny.

I strongly agree to this statement. If the patient likes it they will learn how to use it. That is the only magic bullet here. All the dog and pony show is bs.

My motto has always been "Shiny as my heinie and thin will always win".

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
I have worked exclusively out of my home for 24 years. I worked in the back of a dental office for the first 8
as I said before, building my business. I found that if you keep regular hours 7-4, 8-5 or whatever and use the light switch.
You wont blur the lines between work and home.
Side benefit is that you can write off a percentage of your home, shared utilities, based on how much of the house constitutes work vs living space.

Some cant find the discipline to work from home, but its never been a problem for me.
Get up every day, shower, dress, eat breakfast and go to work closing the door behind you.
Other tips, refrain from having a TV in the lab, no pets in lab, lab is #1 priority during working hours and leave the house every day for lunch.
Like I said, not for everyone, but its served me well and continues to.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
There are also some legal traps in claiming part of your home for tax deductions or using it as a business location.

Insurance(water leak in 'lab' goes into 'home' - who covers what)
liability(lawsuits seeking damages as well as standard slip/fall stuff)
selling your home(it's considered capital gains on the business portion if it sells higher than bought).
Speak with your insurance agent, attorney, and accountant before making each of those steps.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
There are also some legal traps in claiming part of your home for tax deductions or using it as a business location.

Insurance(water leak in 'lab' goes into 'home' - who covers what)
liability(lawsuits seeking damages as well as standard slip/fall stuff)
selling your home(it's considered capital gains on the business portion if it sells higher than bought).
Speak with your insurance agent, attorney, and accountant before making each of those steps.

I have worked 16 years in two different home with a ( basement lab).

1. Health department
2. Separate entry to lab
3. Egress window in basement, fire escape required.
4. Approval from neighbors due to traffic, etc.
5. More than I can recall...

And last but least. If and when you decide to sell your home. The last one cost me $10,000 to the IRS right off the top.
Due to circumstances of the rental space I was occupying went bankrupt. In the process of new building & lab.
Started this project over a year ago. Starting the move this Friday. Will post some pics later to give you Denturion
my true thoughts and design of a efficient and profitable removable / implant lab.
Wish you the best!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have worked 16 years in two different home with a ( basement lab).

1. Health department
2. Separate entry to lab
3. Egress window in basement, fire escape required.
4. Approval from neighbors due to traffic, etc.
5. More than I can recall...

And last but least. If and when you decide to sell your home. The last one cost me $10,000 to the IRS right off the top.
Due to circumstances of the rental space I was occupying went bankrupt. In the process of new building & lab.
Started this project over a year ago. Starting the move this Friday. Will post some pics later to give you Denturion
my true thoughts and design of a efficient and profitable removable / implant lab.
Wish you the best!
Look forward to seeing the pics myself! Your last setup was nice.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I see how keeping home and work separate would be something tho think about.
I have only packed dentures for processing. Are you saying injection is better or packing is better?

You're opening the can of worms, there.

Obviously everyone who drops several grand on an injection system will say it's the only way.

All the one's who press pack will say don't drink the koolaide.

I recommend you use what fits your situation the best.

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
If you go I want to be sitting next to you..... Sounds like a very good time.

I'd rather go listen to TZ, at least he knows what he's talking about!!! When a big company hires a BIG name ceramist who has never made a denture (or will ever make a denture) in his life to pack a room full of C&B people and tell them digital dentures are easy and the wave of the future, I find that personally VERY amusing.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Digital denture probably are the wave of the future, but probably not for another ten years or so. I won't buy into it until the price is comparable to buying equipment for press pack and I don't have to send out to another company to get models made, etc... As for which is best, injection, press pack, microwave or pour... I've used all of these. Ivocap is arguably the best so they say, the down side for me anyway is that they were so dense it took a lot of time to polish (hard to polish),the injectors and flasks are heavy and expensive. Microwave is my favorite and gives a great result, however the overall look seems 1 step below premium so it's best for flippers, relines, immediates and repairs. Press pack in the good old brass flasks is great, economical and if done correctly with premium acrylic, the best choice for a lab starting out. Pour acrylic is the least of my favorites, I hear there are premium pour acrylics but the ones I used usually shrank so much the denture warped.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Digital denture probably are the wave of the future, but probably not for another ten years or so. I won't buy into it until the price is comparable to buying equipment for press pack and I don't have to send out to another company to get models made, etc... As for which is best, injection, press pack, microwave or pour... I've used all of these. Ivocap is arguably the best so they say, the down side for me anyway is that they were so dense it took a lot of time to polish (hard to polish),the injectors and flasks are heavy and expensive. Microwave is my favorite and gives a great result, however the overall look seems 1 step below premium so it's best for flippers, relines, immediates and repairs. Press pack in the good old brass flasks is great, economical and if done correctly with premium acrylic, the best choice for a lab starting out. Pour acrylic is the least of my favorites, I hear there are premium pour acrylics but the ones I used usually shrank so much the denture warped.
Could I ask you to expand on what about the look of Microwave cured acrylics seems below premium?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Could I ask you to expand on what about the look of Microwave cured acrylics seems below premium?

It's hard to explain but hold a microwave denture up to the major premium acrylics and you can see it. Maybe a little translucent, the acrylic shade seems different and if a dentist was really looking they would be able to tell the difference. That said the over all quality is great.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The only digital dentures I make are the ones that the other lab thinks is 10 years away.

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score
Any experience with how digital dentures hold up with repairs?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

depends whose system you are using. most of the ones that cut a pink acrylic base can be soft relined and repaired, the others that use peek frames are not so easily relined or repaired.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

Sorry, no clue on what kind of acrylic they are using, maybe one day I'll get a try at the digital.