Where to begin with surgical guides

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
I'd like to start offering surgical guides. I need to do some reading on the process. Anybody have any good links for this?

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
Depending on your 3D printer manufacturer, they might have some documentation, I would start there to learn about the actual fabrication.
If you intend on miling, same as above, but with your consumables provider.

If you intend on offering planning services, I would start researching planning software. 3Shape has Implant Studio, Materialize has Simplant, Straumann has CoDiagnostiX and Nobel has NobelClinician.

If you own a Nobel 2G scanner, you can get NobelClinician free of charge, with no annual licence to boot.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would start with the basic vac formed location guide.

I can't tell you how many times using that simple guide would have avoided so many problems associated with lousy placement.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Depending on your 3D printer manufacturer, they might have some documentation, I would start there to learn about the actual fabrication.
If you intend on miling, same as above, but with your consumables provider.

If you intend on offering planning services, I would start researching planning software. 3Shape has Implant Studio, Materialize has Simplant, Straumann has CoDiagnostiX and Nobel has NobelClinician.

If you own a Nobel 2G scanner, you can get NobelClinician free of charge, with no annual licence to boot.
We have an Asiga Max printer, Dental Wings software (so, CoDiagnostix). The actual fabrication will be the easy part. I've already got that figured out. I'm more looking for the technique and knowledge of the overall process on the software side. What do we need from the oral surgeon, etc. Any reading information out on the web for this sort of thing?

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
I would start with the basic vac formed location guide.

I can't tell you how many times using that simple guide would have avoided so many problems associated with lousy placement.
I've done those many times. Oral surgeons don't want them. They say they literally don't even use them. They like the "nice ones."

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
software,materials ,training etc.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
A start:
http://www.joionline.org/?code=aaid-premdev

There is no book or online article that has what you are looking for start to finish.
Way more to surgical planning than you will read from a few peer reviewed articles.

Get all of the past issues you can get from your accounts of peer reviewed journals that they read.
Learn head and neck anatomy especially the arteries and nerves of the maxillary and mandible.
Learn why it is important to preserve the cortical plates. What is the minimum distance between two
adjacent implants? How about natural tooth adjacent to an implant. Lots of things to learn...

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
A start:
http://www.joionline.org/?code=aaid-premdev

There is no book or online article that has what you are looking for start to finish.
Way more to surgical planning than you will read from a few peer reviewed articles.

Get all of the past issues you can get from your accounts of peer reviewed journals that they read.
Learn head and neck anatomy especially the arteries and nerves of the maxillary and mandible.
Learn why it is important to preserve the cortical plates. What is the minimum distance between two
adjacent implants? How about natural tooth adjacent to an implant. Lots of things to learn...
Thank you! This is a great starting point.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
What software are you going to use to plan guides?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
exoplan not available Stateside yet. Thank your Government and favorite agency.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We have an Asiga Max printer, Dental Wings software (so, CoDiagnostix). The actual fabrication will be the easy part. I've already got that figured out. I'm more looking for the technique and knowledge of the overall process on the software side. What do we need from the oral surgeon, etc. Any reading information out on the web for this sort of thing?

Your original post was a tad misleading when you asked " where to begin"?

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Your original post was a tad misleading when you asked " where to begin"?
Depends on what you view as the starting point. The starting point for me is the understanding the process, the science, etc. Sorry for misleading you.

M

Mike Fulton

Reaction score

Things have changed with CoD tech support now comes from some outfit call "Implant Concierges ", I am getting 4 hours of training free, then tech support is $100.00 per hour there after. Just got to love that. Biggest problem I see right now is the sleeves that go in the guide. CoD comes with some stuff preloaded but nothing for any thing in the Dentsply/Sirona world that I can tell. BTW once you get the software down it is pretty easy to do simple guides.

T

TireSandals

Reaction score
Blue sky bio makes software for designing surgical guides. Even if you don’t end up using their software they do have quite a few training videos online. Check YouTube. Their software is “free“ but charges 20 or so dollars per export. Using their software or you can direct print guides or you can print a model that you use to make a thermal plastic guide. I’ve been direct printing guides for quite a while now and they work very nicely good fit good reproducibility.