creating NTI bite appliances in the lab environment

K

kirbonite

Reaction score
I have the opportunity as a removable technician to create NTI night appliance in the lab.

this is a simple device but I am struggling with an efficient way to fabricate them.
the doctor has been receiving them with the wings or jigs that they use. I'm not sure where to purchase these etc..
I know that some people use thermoplastic beads.
I'd like it to be clear and look similar to the ones he is getting. My guess is glidewell. Once again, I will be creating them in the lab. any video or article link would be greatly appreciated. sincerely,

turbonite the kirbonite.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
The NTI is a licensed product owned by Dr Boyd and licensed exclusively to NDX to be made at Keller labs (at least it was last I heard).

you can certainly make an anterior deprogrammer of various designs, but be careful about calling it an NTI and violating the legal ownership of the product.

C

cmeistercdt

Reaction score
Could you just invoice it as anterior deprogrammer then? Would it be the same as pharmacies selling generic drugs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
no, you are talking about a patent and have to know what the patent covers, which in this case (if memory serves) is the 'shape and dimension' of the discluding element.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Could you just invoice it as anterior deprogrammer then? Would it be the same as pharmacies selling generic drugs?

no, you are talking about a patent and have to know what the patent covers, which in this case (if memory serves) is the 'shape and dimension' of the discluding element.

I hit winner too soon. Jason D is right on. Generics are only legal after the sole manufacturer and distributor portion of the patent expires.

D

David Laville

Reaction score

I was a NTI certified technician for National Dentex and you are correct.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Simple easy and quick to make:

Pressure (or vacuum) form with Erkodent (other brands available) hard or hard/soft 2mm foil.
Trim with tri cutter to where you want to extend it to (leave it longer at this stage to make it easier)
Wax over thermoformed foil the shape you want for the platform
Put lab putty over the wax (work it in so you get a close for)
When hardened remove putty.
Drill two holes where wax platform is (clear acrylic in, air out)
Remove wax from foil
Sandblast area where acrylic will bond to
Put putty matrix back on foil and wax around edge to seal so no ingress of air
Mix clear acrylic (Resilit works with Erkodent foils)
Pour into "in" hole
Make sure when it starts to set you build up a pile so as not to get suchback
Put into hydroflask (not too hot so foil will not distort
When cured remove, trim and polish

We make loads and they are very easy.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

Why not? Other than specifying material it's made of most labs just lump the occlusion appliances under "nightguard" or such.

J

JimBoydDDS

Reaction score
I stumbled onto this forum, as I was searching for labs that might be interested in licensing and providing NTI devices (what mades an anterior deprogrammer an NTI device is the enhancement necessary to ensure a therapeutic outcome. A typical AD can allow for the extremes of parafunction to considerably complicate symptoms). I was just informed by the neurology group that I associate with that their blinded, placebo-controlled, cross-over study showing the NTI's profound improvement of Chronic Migraine sufferers has been accepted for publication in a neurology journal (I'm not allowed to elaborate further for now). Meanwhile, National Dentex no longer has the exclusive license to produce the "NTI plus". I anticipate a growing demand for NTI therapeutic protocol and am looking to license as many labs as would like to provide this service, with it being critical that protocl is follow...it's far more important to me that an NTI device does no harm while striving to make it available to as many people as possible. -Jim Boyd, DDS. [email protected]