Ortho CDT materials

Cory

Cory

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm trying to get my CDT in Ortho, I already passed both written exams, just waiting to do the practical whenever the next available is; my question is, has anyone here already done their practical and could tell me a list of materials and equipment I'll be needing to bring? Thanks in advance!

Cory

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Hi,

Here are the orthodontic practical requirements per the NBC website:
Prior to the examination, candidates in the Orthodontics specialty need only prepare their casts using the NBC test molds. All other assignments, the fabrication of three appliances, are done at the test site:

• One Hawley-type appliance
• One removable modified mandibular unilateral sagittal appliance
• One fixed mandibular lingual arch.

In the Orthodontics test, candidates' grades are reported in four parts: Each appliance represents one sub-test score and candidates are graded on preliminary work.

I took the complete denture test for CDT and remember (21 years ago now, I can't believe it ;-p) I brought everything from lathe to wax , alcohol torch, etc... So much I had to wheel it in in a box on a chair. So for hawley, I would think the wire, self cure acrylic(bring the pressure pot),lathe, polishing material. Not sure if NBC supplies the bands, you may want to call them.

Cory

Cory

Reaction score
Hi,

Here are the orthodontic practical requirements per the NBC website:
Prior to the examination, candidates in the Orthodontics specialty need only prepare their casts using the NBC test molds. All other assignments, the fabrication of three appliances, are done at the test site:

• One Hawley-type appliance
• One removable modified mandibular unilateral sagittal appliance
• One fixed mandibular lingual arch.

In the Orthodontics test, candidates' grades are reported in four parts: Each appliance represents one sub-test score and candidates are graded on preliminary work.

I took the complete denture test for CDT and remember (21 years ago now, I can't believe it ;-p) I brought everything from lathe to wax , alcohol torch, etc... So much I had to wheel it in in a box on a chair. So for hawley, I would think the wire, self cure acrylic(bring the pressure pot),lathe, polishing material. Not sure if NBC supplies the bands, you may want to call them.

I figure I have to bring my own acrylic, burs, rouge, wires, etc. Was just wondering if there was an actual list given or if anyone here had experience with it and could advise on what equipment/materials they wish they had brought with them and didn't, or which ones they brought and wish they hadn't bothered with

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
Take anything and everything to make you feel comfortable in the new space. The locations are supposed to have everything you need but the hardest part of the practical is working in a different location.
I did crown and bridge and took absolutely everything. They were surprised that I did that.
When you know your location, you can call them and ask what they have and don’t have for you to use.

Top Bottom