Ti Base height

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I've got a client that likes to use temporary cement on his cement retained implant cases. This works ok for metal ceramic cases as the friction of the metal framework internally aids retention. Zr cases cement with temp cement just pop straight off.

I'm looking at Ti Bases as an alternative and have a case I'd like to try it on, typically it's a platform with the least amount of components available, Ankylos....

I've found some Ti Bases that allow angle correction made by Arum, the only snag is the tissue depth is around 3.5 mm and the crown height is around 11mm. Is this going to be too much unsupported crown in relation to the Ti base?

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Are you going to use temp cement on the ti base?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
the only snag is the tissue depth is around 3.5 mm and the crown height is around 11mm. Is this going to be too much unsupported crown in relation to the Ti base?

I started using Open implants. You can customize the hight since the are, I think, 10mm, tall. I belive they advertise on this site. I buy them through Zahn.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I haven't heard of open implants, is there a library for those available for Exo?? In addition, can anyone help with a source for non-engaging ti bases for Astra Osseospeed 3.5-4? Thanks in advance! As far as the temp cement for the ti base, seems as though it may be a little short, if it were me I would start placing horizantal retention on the inside of Zr in the green stateHmmmm2Questionmark

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I started using Open implants. You can customize the hight since the are, I think, 10mm, tall. I belive they advertise on this site. I buy them through Zahn.

Hi, thanks for the info. Doesn't look like OpenImplants make an Ankylos compatible Ti Base.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the info. Doesn't look like OpenImplants make an Ankylos compatible Ti Base.

I see. I have used DESS, too (also sponsors here... :)). Not sure if they offer Ankylos. Their ti-bases are rather on the short side, though. But they offer non engaging ones.

If nothing works, Atlantis will solve it, I am sure. It has its price, though...

M

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
As a FDA approved ti base manufacturer here are some things to consider -

1. I am sure there are plenty of people that use temp cement but it is not necessarily designed for these.

2. We have an ankylos ti base - two of them in fact - https://www.dess-usa.com/ankylos-compatible-tibase/

3. We have Astra osseospeed non engaging ti bases - https://www.dess-usa.com/ti-base-non-engaging-4-5-5-0-lilac-15-025/

DESS offers the first FDA approved industrially preconditioned sandblasted surface available on a titanium base. This is surface, known as Select Grip™, eliminates the need to sandblast, ensures the implant interface connection remains undamaged, and reduces chair time by ensuring quick and reliable bonding. SelectGrip has 5 times greater retention than titanium base without sandblasting. The ti base includes a final screw and wax up sleeve for Emax press.

upload_2017-10-3_9-59-21.png

The case below illustrates the shortcomings of sandblasting.

Before After
upload_2017-10-3_9-56-58.png

Before - the ti base is shinny and untouched.
After- 50 microns of aluminum oxide where sandblasted onto the surface.
Above the collar the ti base is inconsistently and not uniformly sandblasted. This will increase the chances of debonding.

upload_2017-10-3_9-58-29.png

At and below the collar the ti base surface should be highly polished and untouched. This surface is sandblasted and the gingiva can become irritated and the areas can harbor microorganisms increasing the chances of gingivitis.

WHAT ARE THE DESS TI BASE UNIQUE FEATURES?
tibase-features-faq.jpg

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
I appreciate the endorsement. Having a longer ti base does not necessarily mean you have greater support of the zirconia.

To pass FDA approval we successfully went through compression and fatigue testing (pursuant to ISO 14801:2007 Standards) on each implant system using the smallest platform for each of the 13 implant systems we are approved for. For example MIS 3.0, Nobel Active 3.5, Straumann Bone Level 3.3 etc. The same testing was done on our angled screw channel ti base (Aurum) which is 3mm tall above the collar.

The DESS straight ti base and Aurum angled ti base where tested with a 11mm height x 5mm wide zirconia cemented to it and tested at a 30 degree angle (see pics below).

The maximum load on both of the DESS ti bases (straight and Aurum angled) was 10-30% greater than taller ti bases from other manufacturers that went through the same testing.

There are numerous reasons for this-
1. the ti base design with its unique step pattern and retentive anti rotational design
2. the tolerance of the interface due to superior machining and quality control
3. SelectGrip uniform sandblasted surface for increased zirconia bonding
4. Stronger abutment screws than the industry standard

upload_2017-10-3_10-7-12.png

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

1. I am sure there are plenty of people that use temp cement but it is not necessarily designed for these.

2. We have an ankylos ti base - two of them in fact - https://www.dess-usa.com/ankylos-compatible-tibase/

3. We have Astra osseospeed non engaging ti bases - https://www.dess-usa.com/ti-base-non-engaging-4-5-5-0-lilac-15-025/

DESS offers the first FDA approved industrially preconditioned sandblasted surface available on a titanium base. This is surface, known as Select Grip™, eliminates the need to sandblast, ensures the implant interface connection remains undamaged, and reduces chair time by ensuring quick and reliable bonding. SelectGrip has 5 times greater retention than titanium base without sandblasting. The ti base includes a final screw and wax up sleeve for Emax press.

View attachment 27758

Before After
View attachment 27756

Above the collar the ti base is inconsistently and not uniformly sandblasted. This will increase the chances of debonding.

View attachment 27757

At and below the collar the ti base surface should be highly polished and untouched. This surface is sandblasted and the gingiva can become irritated and the areas can harbor microorganisms increasing the chances of gingivitis.

tibase-features-faq.jpg
Keith,
We dip the lower portion of the Ti bases in wax prior to blasting (if needed). Then trim off excess wax above the cuff/collar and sandblast as needed. Also block out the screw access hole with wax too prior to blasting. again, only if needed.

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
I realize you use the DESS ti bases and appreciate the business.

We eliminate the need to go through these steps. Time is money.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Having a longer ti base does not necessarily mean you have greater support of the zirconia

I understand that. And I assume for that reason pretty much all of the Ti-bases offered are in the 4-6mm range...o_O However, I do prefer a Ti-base that has a bit more 'substance'.

What I actually really would like to see more often is a different cuff hight. If a screw retained solution is desired on a rather deep placed implant, I have to
recur to straight stock abutments, which require adjusting more often than not.

DESS offers the first FDA approved industrially preconditioned sandblasted surface available on a titanium base.

I actually like that feature!

This surface is sandblasted and the gingiva can become irritated

Well, that can be and is resolved with a little wax around that surface before sandblasting...Ciao

M

A

adamb4321

Reaction score

View attachment 27758

Before After
View attachment 27756

View attachment 27757

tibase-features-faq.jpg
Hi,

Thank you for the information. Just clarify, I would be bonding the Ti Base to the crown in the normal way, making it screw retained rather than cement retained. Due to the angulation of the Implant I would need to have a slightly angled screw channel.

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
Have you tried an angled screw channel ti base- we have them for astra and can help you with ankylos too
email or call me if we can help you and you are in the USA
if you are somewhere else let me know and will direct you to the DESS distributor in your country
upload_2017-10-4_17-11-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-4_17-10-40.png
    upload_2017-10-4_17-10-40.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 8