Digital impression scan

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I have a few questions, I cannot seem to get a good result from scanning the impression. I have a medit identica scanner.
1. What percentage of cases can you impression scan with good results?
2. What techniques do you use to improve scan ie. cutting or spraying
3. Any tips?

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
We have a Dental Wings Series 7, which includes an impression scanner. Began utilizing it in conjunction with our 3D printer to print our model work. The impression scanner turned out to be not-so-accurate. It was a complete disaster. Long story short, had to completely restart 20 or so C&B cases.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
lets not go down this road. DW promised the world when they set up their tiny impression box. it was not so well received as they hoped.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
My brother insists this is the big labs go, I say models are better.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
whats the xy accuracy of your printer? not the minimum spot size but the accuracy? and is it the same across the whole plate? does your printer manufacturer even publish it? what resin are you using, what is your post curing protocol? how is the part supported on the build plate and at what angle, how thick is the part? on and on and on. so many variables its crazy.

Shrinkage with a good class 4 die stone is what.. 0.06%?
good resin 0.5% with the wind blowing in the right direction and all the stars aligning?

are the "big" labs using a 6 figure $ printer, or a bunch of ****ty form 2's?

last case I see on a printed model was a snoring appliance like a chrome. the lab was sent a stone model. they decided to scan the model, then design digital and print a copy of the model. appliance came back on printed model. didn't go anywhere near the original plaster model.... about sums up 3d printed models for accuracy. best thing is i guess the lab didn't even bother to check it on the plaster model before sending it out.

I'm hoping to print models for diagnostics, maybe some stuff for vacuum formed appliances etc, but crown and bridge work, id forget it for now. betime you work out that it dosent work, your going to risk loosing half your clients.
or maybe your planning to find a select account whos prepared to go through the problems with you before letting loose on your client base?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
whats the xy accuracy of your printer? not the minimum spot size but the accuracy? and is it the same across the whole plate? does your printer manufacturer even publish it? what resin are you using, what is your post curing protocol? how is the part supported on the build plate and at what angle, how thick is the part? on and on and on. so many variables its crazy.

Shrinkage with a good class 4 die stone is what.. 0.06%?
good resin 0.5% with the wind blowing in the right direction and all the stars aligning?

are the "big" labs using a 6 figure $ printer, or a bunch of ****ty form 2's?

last case I see on a printed model was a snoring appliance like a chrome. the lab was sent a stone model. they decided to scan the model, then design digital and print a copy of the model. appliance came back on printed model. didn't go anywhere near the original plaster model.... about sums up 3d printed models for accuracy. best thing is i guess the lab didn't even bother to check it on the plaster model before sending it out.

I'm hoping to print models for diagnostics, maybe some stuff for vacuum formed appliances etc, but crown and bridge work, id forget it for now. betime you work out that it dosent work, your going to risk loosing half your clients.
or maybe your planning to find a select account whos prepared to go through the problems with you before letting loose on your client base?
"Big" labs such as Aurum and Argen are using very expensive printers such as the ones i have described, and small labs who want to play ball think they can get away with a bunch of form2's and compete.

dare to dream.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
"Big" labs such as Aurum and Argen are using very expensive printers such as the ones i have described, and small labs who want to play ball think they can get away with a bunch of form2's and compete.

dare to dream.
AudacityofHope.jpg
Questionmark

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The plan is to go model less, we do have a form2 and I would possibly print a solid if we had issues. I don't have intention of scanning just to make a model and go traditional.

C

CAD_Lady

Reaction score
Going directly to a scan rather than pouring then going to a scan is obviously much more accurate.
Option A: Scanning impression on Medit is <7 micron variable.
Or option B pouring stone adding a 40-70 micron variable, then scanning adding another 7 micron variable?

Cut the impression the same way you would for a traditional pour
Do not spray.
Turn on texture scanning
Use 3 axis arm
Go to options
Turn on Detail scan
Select no for optimize and refine setting
Strategically insert the impression into the arm to optimize camera view points

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Going directly to a scan rather than pouring then going to a scan is obviously much more accurate.
Option A: Scanning impression on Medit is <7 micron variable.
Or option B pouring stone adding a 40-70 micron variable, then scanning adding another 7 micron variable?

Cut the impression the same way you would for a traditional pour
Do not spray.
Turn on texture scanning
Use 3 axis arm
Go to options
Turn on Detail scan
Select no for optimize and refine setting
Strategically insert the impression into the arm to optimize camera view points
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

What percentage of impresions do you find unable to be scanned?

Have you been able to get your eye trained to where you know which one's won't and send them to modelwork without loosing time trying to scan?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
dare to dream.

I've compared the marginal fits between Itero dies and those from actual impressions and found them to be very accurate. I've also found the accuracy of fits on printed models does seem to vary with the type of printer used.

We have to deal with variables at every turn. From the IO scans to the way the models are fabricated. You've just got to find the sweet spot for whatever comes at you.

Joshua R. Baldwin

Joshua R. Baldwin

Reaction score
I have a few questions, I cannot seem to get a good result from scanning the impression. I have a medit identica scanner.
1. What percentage of cases can you impression scan with good results?
2. What techniques do you use to improve scan ie. cutting or spraying
3. Any tips?
I have a medit t-500 scanner and have great success scanning the triple tray impressions I receive from my doctors. Cutting the excess material away makes a huge difference in the amount of scan data captured. It's also important to build a good relationship with the doctor to share feedback and ensure your getting the best impressions possible.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
what printer are you using for the models Joshua or are you doing model less crowns from the scans? thanks

C

CAD_Lady

Reaction score
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

What percentage of impresions do you find unable to be scanned?

Have you been able to get your eye trained to where you know which one's won't and send them to modelwork without loosing time trying to scan?

Hi there.
Thank you!
So I started with pouring a die, trimming it, then scanning it in with the impression. Only temporary to dial in the contact and occlusion settings. Its easier to focus on dialing in one area at a time. Once your numbers are dialed in quit pouring dies and start watching the margins. Shoulders/chamfers are so much easier if Dr practices good retraction techniques.

Don't forget to use Tru smile if you have it, it helps alot. Also wireframe will show you surface changes that may be helpful.
Honestly if you scan it and cant see the margins, just pour a die and add it to your cad scene. Don't stress over making the entire model.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi there.
Thank you!
So I started with pouring a die, trimming it, then scanning it in with the impression. Only temporary to dial in the contact and occlusion settings. Its easier to focus on dialing in one area at a time. Once your numbers are dialed in quit pouring dies and start watching the margins. Shoulders/chamfers are so much easier if Dr practices good retraction techniques.

Don't forget to use Tru smile if you have it, it helps alot. Also wireframe will show you surface changes that may be helpful.
Honestly if you scan it and cant see the margins, just pour a die and add it to your cad scene. Don't stress over making the entire model.
Thank you. Good procedure development.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Cad-Lady what is so helpful about Tru-smile its one of the few add ons I didn't get as it seemed a bit pointless?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
@paulg100 it isn't something you might use every day, but if you do digital dx work up to present to the patient it is nice to be able to help them visualize the
shade of their proposed restoration rather than the yellow color of the anatomic crowns in free form. I have had patients ask me if their teeth will be yellow
when they are done more than once. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tomas

tomas

Sponsors
Reaction score
We have a Dental Wings Series 7, which includes an impression scanner. Began utilizing it in conjunction with our 3D printer to print our model work. The impression scanner turned out to be not-so-accurate. It was a complete disaster. Long story short, had to completely restart 20 or so C&B cases.

could you share some of your scan picture to us , we have big problem with the scan file , margin is not clear , over bite and mesh on the margin area ,

Thank you

Top Bottom