For Sale Long list of for sale items...

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just curious on the three phase compressor. I have the exact Baldor motor on my compressor and run it on my household 240 line. The spec tag on the motor lists it at 1 .phase.
Looks like a single phase load center as well?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Just curious on the three phase compressor. I have the exact Baldor motor on my compressor and run it on my household 240 line. The spec tag on the motor lists it at 1 .phase.
it was converted to 3phase by the lab that used it. im certain it can be converted back.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I'm certainly no electrical authority but isn't 3 phase wire a different color code ?
It is a single phase motor and single phase wiring. The only possibility would be to run it on two legs of a three phase circuit. As long as it starts it should run, but at a maximum of 67 percent of nameplate HP.
I could be wrong, but I doubt it. @JMN?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It is a single phase motor and single phase wiring. The only possibility would be to run it on two legs of a three phase circuit. As long as it starts it should run, but at a maximum of 67 percent of nameplate HP.
Please leave a message after the burp. This is a recording.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
im no electrician. everything ive said was based off of what was told to me. electricity taught me years ago not to mess with it unless i do some major homework. ive yet to have the time to do the homework, so i pay someone smarter than me lots of good money to take care of that sh*t for me.
i dont want my electrician making my crown, and im not going to pretend to be an electrician.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Motor says 208v also, which is a wye 3 phase system's output/input. A 3 phase motor will run on 2 phases, but only if it's started with all 3. And it will get very hot. Very very hot.

There is every possibility that the guy who dropped it on SSB just told him the wrong, there is also the possibility that one of the insulated wires got pulled off at some time and that is why there are only 2 insulated wires showing like would be for 120 or 240.

Nobody, and I mean basically none of us that is, has any business wiring one of those things in by themselves anyway. I've been told in some states to hard-wire a connection, an electrician is legally required. It's a great idea even if not, because the circuit will need to be isolated from anything else anyway and that requires a new run of 10-2 or whatever is needed to get to the location of the compressor, in addition to all the other stuff. The legal liability for anything that goes wonky with it is not something you want to wrangle with your insurance and/or landlord about.

And @sidesh0wb0b, after I've had to stand back up after finding out that a circuit was still live "that one time" that I took someone else's word for it, you have the right idea.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Motor says 208v also, which is a wye 3 phase system's output/input. A 3 phase motor will run on 2 phases, but only if it's started with all 3. And it will get very hot. Very very hot.

There is every possibility that the guy who dropped it on SSB just told him the wrong, there is also the possibility that one of the insulated wires got pulled off at some time and that is why there are only 2 insulated wires showing like would be for 120 or 240.

Nobody, and I mean basically none of us that is, has any business wiring one of those things in by themselves anyway. I've been told in some states to hard-wire a connection, an electrician is legally required. It's a great idea even if not, because the circuit will need to be isolated from anything else anyway and that requires a new run of 10-2 or whatever is needed to get to the location of the compressor, in addition to all the other stuff. The legal liability for anything that goes wonky with it is not something you want to wrangle with your insurance and/or landlord about.

And @sidesh0wb0b, after I've had to stand back up after finding out that a circuit was still live "that one time" that I took someone else's word for it, you have the right idea.
its heppened to me twice, once as a kid and i couldnt let go of a very live wire. once as a young adult and i had pretty bad burns from an arced line that i didnt know was in the ceiling of the lab i first started at. since those two run-ins with power, i leave it to ppl who know what they are doing.

user name

user name

Reaction score

Where does the motor say 208v ?
motor.jpg Looks to me like it says 230 volts, 1 phase.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Where does the motor say 208v ?
View attachment 26883 Looks to me like it says 230 volts, 1 phase.
3rd line from bottom, in the middle

"usable at 208v"
the only way I was taght you can get there is wye 3 phase

Really don't know without it being inspected by someone with recent training/application of training whether the guy who told ssb it was 3phase was wrong. But if I had to bet, I'd bet the guy misinformed ssb.

Single phase motors can be hooked into a place running 3phase, happens all the time, and is an easy misunderstanding to users not technically trained into that field of knowledge.

Really, if someone is interested in it, and worried about it, they just need to call Baldor at 479.646.4711 and ask if Cat No. L1430t is single phase only, or if it's designed to be field modified for 3-phase use.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
ok, so i am guessing the info i was given from the other lab owner was incorrect. it IS a single phase compressor and if no one wants it, one day it will make it to my garage/barn and have a happy and long life!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
ok, so i am guessing the info i was given from the other lab owner was incorrect. it IS a single phase compressor and if no one wants it, one day it will make it to my garage/barn and have a happy and long life!
Think of all the bicycle tires you could fill. OOO OOO A pontoon boat with solar panels to run the compressor and use the air to power a prop. You'd have an Airship!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
bump!

a handful of items have sold. Still have the emax ingots, zirconia pucks, and lots of other goodies. grab them up! i KNOW ppl are using these things! dont be afraid of making an offer, im pretty reasonable!

user name

user name

Reaction score
Its a WHAT?!

:cool: