Carbon Printer for digital models?

Herme

Herme

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone out there has used the Carbon3d printer for making digital models and what their thought are on it's accuracy, reliability, etc.? Desperately looking for a viable alternative to our 3D systems printers as I would love to have a life again!
Cheers!

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone out there has used the Carbon3d printer for making digital models and what their thought are on it's accuracy, reliability, etc.? Desperately looking for a viable alternative to our 3D systems printers as I would love to have a life again!
Cheers!

Carbon does a good job. The 3 year lease plan is not as horrible as it sounds - no one can really attest to reliability since we've all only had it for a few months (the labs that do have them) - definitely give Core3D a call to see/hear their thoughts.

CLIP technology is cool, 3D systems will debut one with their version of it. and of course Envisiontec also has a version of it as well.

are you printing crown and bridge models? what are you using the printer for mostly

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
WOW $150 000 for this??
The guys that own the company was not even able to give me a proper precision in Micron, when I finally got my answer it was over 50 micron.
Far to be competitive with other $150 000 3D printer that get in low 20-15 micron.

And since it a lease on 4th year it BOOM you got stole big time!
For that price, not worth it personally.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
it's not terrible - the 42,000 / year lease also includes alot of support on their end and help to dial it in.

Again, i don't think their focus was specifically dental - but 50 micron accuracy for on avg 94% of a part at max print height of 127mm is actually very good (alpha @ 5%)

Whether it's worth it is totally up to the user/buyer

Moose11

Moose11

Reaction score
I know of two labs here in the U.S. that are utilizing them for crown & bridge as well as implant models. Very nice models and the material is a lot harder than other materials I have seen.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what the hell man, where have you been, and welcome back!

Moose11

Moose11

Reaction score
what the hell man, where have you been, and welcome back!

Lol well you know, I joined the dark side and have been crazy busy. I still lurk around once and a while, checking on what you heathans are up to.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Did a tour of the carbon facility. The M1 has a small build plate while the M2 build plate is twice the size. Crazy fast print speed and accurate. Tray needs to be manually filled. 800ml max. Trays don't wear out like the formlabs. Second tray is $5000 lease per year. As mentioned above, carbon did not have the dental market in mind when they developed the machine. Unless one figures out how to print stacked with this printer it's pretty pricey.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We looked at it. The printer is only for really big production facilities. I believe in the high production environment the printer has a positive ROI. The company is amazing, loaded with so many incredibly talented people.

corona

corona

Reaction score
you could always hire one of those human beings that fabricate models ... i hear they come in all shapes and sizes , different ram , and may even be able to do more than just one thing...... just saying .

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
They'd be worth their weight in gold if they could fabricate analog models from IO scans.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
They'd be worth their weight in gold if they could fabricate analog models from IO scans.
might not be that hard really.

make any ordinary computer project a horizontal slice onto a table, much like a silhouette. have the tech place stone in an even thickness layer. use a laser level to ensure no high spots, adjust for next step and continue.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
maybe put a rolling pin on a carriage assembly, to roll the material flat for better accuracy...

richmc2

richmc2

Reaction score
It seems like weekly for the past year, I would get a message from linkedin saying that someone I know from the 3d printing or material science has "changed jobs" and moved to Carbon. They already have some great materials for industrial applications, and they say that dental materials are a big part of their R&D budget. I saw that they hired the head of the FDA who was overseeing 3d printing, which says a lot. Also, I do know of a milling center who currently has one M1 running multiple shifts per day, plus they have ten M2s on order.

C

chooch0918

Reaction score
With all the $ and Time we've spent dealing with troubleshooting and service on our 3D systems printers. 50k /year for complete service and ease of use is well worth it.