Ways of removing monomer odour from appliances

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Never assume the office is disinfecting the cases. We treat every case like the patient has AIDS.
Tell me about it. Dental school geniuses send back try ins with poly grip in the record base just shoved on the models.

... something about removing bioburden before you disinfect....
FFS

Our hope for the future.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hi JMN,

Thanks for reply.

From the research that I've done it seems that most labs leave it up to the dr to disinfect the appliance as they are the final ones to fit the appliances, you never know a receptionist or dental assistant could be handling appliances with their bare hands before fitting, defeating the purpose of the labs careful disinfecting practices.

I think your suggestion about the alcohol free mouth wash is great, I was just reading that they contain sodium bicarbonate so I wouldn't have to mess around with baking soda.

Do you just use the mouthwash on its own or do you add water to it for volume?

Can you let me know what aproximately measurements you use and how long you would place appliances into mouthwash and for how long you would keep the same mouth wash in the bowl - I presume you go through a lot of mouthwash?

Btw I use Orthoresin by dentsply

Thanks in advance
CDC says you, as a medical device manufacturer, have responsibility to disinfect/ or sterilize your product.
You can't just foist that off on the clinic.
What they do is their problem, what you should do is yours.
You don't manage liability by ignoring it.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
CDC says you, as a medical device manufacturer, have responsibility to disinfect/ or sterilize your product.
You can't just foist that off on the clinic.
What they do is their problem, what you should do is yours.
You don't manage liability by ignoring it.
Not only CDC but OSHA as well, and you don't want them knocking at your door.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Well my experience has told me that all cold cured acrylics will have a slight aftertaste of monomer..Some can tolerate it more than others...Since most ortho appliances are cold cured no way around that....It does go away after about a week or so but some patients are going to taste it for a long time.... so unless you are going to heat cure everything then that is going to be an issue....My personal experience after having to make myself a flipper while waiting for the implant to osseointegrate is personal...It doesnt taste very good........If you want to try for yourself make a palate with different methods and try wearing it for a while....

N

nickate

Reaction score
I don't think I could afford my price for a flipper.....

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Well my experience has told me that all cold cured acrylics will have a slight aftertaste of monomer..Some can tolerate it more than others...Since most ortho appliances are cold cured no way around that....It does go away after about a week or so but some patients are going to taste it for a long time.... so unless you are going to heat cure everything then that is going to be an issue....My personal experience after having to make myself a flipper while waiting for the implant to osseointegrate is personal...It doesnt taste very good........If you want to try for yourself make a palate with different methods and try wearing it for a while....
I admit this is one of the reasons I loved microwave processing.
I couldn't do same day, but as a one man show, I could do next morning.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I admit this is one of the reasons I loved microwave processing.
I couldn't do same day, but as a one man show, I could do next morning.
Several up here have switched to microwaved processing..I have tried it with little success...Too much shrinkage around the tuberosities and bingo it just doesn't fit and the bite is off being too high at the back.......I have some of those technoflasks. I used them for my qualifying exams and they were a time saver for sure but only about an hour was saved...But I find I need to spend more time finishing the microwaved as opposed to the diamond d.....Perhaps something awry in my method for microwaving...but my experience is that the microwave curing is the least accurate method of processing...Only time I might do that is when I make a set of Turbyfill splints that I know are going to be used with hydrocast for relining or rebasing...but in those cases the total rebase is always done with Ivobase.....I haven't tried relining with microwave except for Molloplast B...

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Several up here have switched to microwaved processing..I have tried it with little success...Too much shrinkage around the tuberosities and bingo it just doesn't fit and the bite is off being too high at the back.......I have some of those technoflasks. I used them for my qualifying exams and they were a time saver for sure but only about an hour was saved...But I find I need to spend more time finishing the microwaved as opposed to the diamond d.....Perhaps something awry in my method for microwaving...but my experience is that the microwave curing is the least accurate method of processing...Only time I might do that is when I make a set of Turbyfill splints that I know are going to be used with hydrocast for relining or rebasing...but in those cases the total rebase is always done with Ivobase.....I haven't tried relining with microwave except for Molloplast B...
I've had terrific results. Pin opening and shrinkage sound like technique to me; I always trial pack 4+ times. There is no other way to gain control and consistency.
That holds true for all type I

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
microwave1.jpg No microwave issues here either. Trial packing is part of the workflow with microwave or conventional acrylic. I'm even microwaving to titanium bars!
As far as more finishing MC cure acrylic, definitely sounds like technique.

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that!
One more thought. If you are doing salt n pepper technique, make sure to pepper a layer of powder on top last.
If there is unwetted powder on top, you will know that there is no free monomer on the lingual surface that will cure incompletely or have more residual monomer exactly where they will taste it.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I will look at TomZ's videos again and see maybe I am missing something. Just did one yesterday and it turned out fine. Besides I still have about four pounds to use up...

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I will look at TomZ's videos again and see maybe I am missing something. Just did one yesterday and it turned out fine. Besides I still have about four pounds to use up...
My experience is it was the most useful material I ever used.
If I was a decision maker at my current employment, we'd be using it now.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
One more thought. If you are doing salt n pepper technique, make sure to pepper a layer of powder on top last.
If there is unwetted powder on top, you will know that there is no free monomer on the lingual surface that will cure incompletely or have more residual monomer exactly where they will taste it.
Cool I will try that next time I have a repair.....Thanks

Dominick

Dominick

Reaction score
Why would anyone want to rid themselves of that sweet smell!!!!!!o_O I love it lol and nail polisher remover!!! Could be they smell eerily similar to Soju in South Korea which is a smell I associate with wild and fun times lol :Rock:Reddy I hate the smell of gas, natural and petro o_O:banghead:

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
View attachment 26520 No microwave issues here either. Trial packing is part of the workflow with microwave or conventional acrylic. I'm even microwaving to titanium bars!
As far as more finishing MC cure acrylic, definitely sounds like technique.

I was sold on microwaving 20 years ago at a dental convention. I have used it ever since, but now only use it for immediates and relines/repairs.

Top Bottom