Ways of removing monomer odour from appliances

O

orthoace

Reaction score
hi

A couple of my dr's have complained to me that their patient tastes strong acrylic when they fit my appliances.

I've tried to reduce the amount of monomer I use for each appliance but this hasn't helped.

I do a lot of public children's health orthodontic appliances so would be nervous about spraying mouthwash into the bag for a minty fresh smell.

I was recently told about using baking soda in a ultrasonic cleaner or retainer brite or Dentasoak.

I'm just interested in the smell/taste of the appliances for the patient rather then disinfecting them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am worried I will lose these dr's if I don't come up with a solution quick.

Thanks.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
hi

A couple of my dr's have complained to me that their patient tastes strong acrylic when they fit my appliances.

I've tried to reduce the amount of monomer I use for each appliance but this hasn't helped.

I do a lot of public children's health orthodontic appliances so would be nervous about spraying mouthwash into the bag for a minty fresh smell.

I was recently told about using baking soda in a ultrasonic cleaner or retainer brite or Dentasoak.

I'm just interested in the smell/taste of the appliances for the patient rather then disinfecting them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am worried I will lose these dr's if I don't come up with a solution quick.

Thanks.
I'm gonna start with your comment that I may be misinterpreting. That you are interested in smell/taste and not disinfection. IF you are not disinfecting before delivery, you need to start NOW. If for no legal reason, for the moral need too prevent cross contamination between cases and from your own germ colonies. We all have germ colonies, most of us carry Staph, and a few dozen more, on our skin, at the minimum. Cavicide is a good quick method. It takes all of 3 minutes. Spray and go bill, when you return, they'll be sanitized. Rinse, bag, tag.

For the monomer odor, use fresh water very often, each case if possible. The monomer leaches into the water. Leave the appliance or prosthetic in the water and at curing temp as long as possible. The IvoBase system has a Residual Monomer Reduction cycle. It's just sitting at temp. Nothing extra special.

Also, if you use more water than is required to just cover the appliance or prosthetic, this will allow for more monomer to leach into the water as well. There is a limit to how much it will carry/hold.

I put all my cases in NON-Alcohol mouthwash after sanitation. Never use alcohol bearing mouthwash for anything. It weakens the acrylic and can cause issues for the patient otherwise. Not likely, but imagine trying to convince a judge that you haven't had a drink when the meter registered .22 blood alcohol. Also, I know some reformed alcoholics that cannot well handle even the amount that absorbs while using the mouthwash. Non-alcohol mouthwash is available in every store beside the 'standard ones' and less than a dollar more.

If you are using the material as the IFU states and still having issues, contact the manufacturer for any insight that they may have. If they've "Never heard that before" don't be surprised, but you can at least try.

If you let us know what the material(s) are, we may have ideas from using it as well.

Last edited:
O

orthoace

Reaction score
I'm gonna start with your comment that I may be misinterpreting. That you are interested in smell/taste and not disinfection. IF you are not disinfecting before delivery, you need to start NOW. If for no legal reason, for the moral need too prevent cross contamination between cases and from your own germ colonies. We all have germ colonies, most of us carry Staph, and a few dozen more, on our skin, at the minimum. Cavicide is a good quick method. It takes all of 3 minutes. Spray and go bill, when you return, they'll be sanitized. Rinse, bag, tag.

For the monomer odor, use fresh water very often, each case if possible. The monomer leaches into the water. Leave the appliance or prosthetic in the water and at curing temp as long as possible. The IvoBase system has a Residual Monomer Reduction cycle. It's just sitting at temp. Nothing extra special.

Also, if you use more water than is required to just cover the appliance or prosthetic, this will allow for more monomer to leach into the water as well. There is a limit to how much it will carry/hold.

I put all my cases in NON-Alcohol mouthwash after sanitation. Never use alcohol bearing mouthwash for anything. It weakens the acrylic and can cause issues for the patient otherwise. Not likely, but imagine trying to convince a judge that you haven't had a drink when the meter registered .22 blood alcohol. Also, I know some reformed alcoholics that cannot well handle even the amount that absorbs while using the mouthwash. Non-alcohol mouthwash is available in every store beside the 'standard ones' and less than a dollar more.

If you are using the material as the IFU states and still having issues, contact the manufacturer for any insight that they may have. If they've "Never heard that before" don't be surprised, but you can at least try.

If you let us know what the material(s) are, we may have ideas from using it as well.

Hi JMN,

Thanks for reply.

From the research that I've done it seems that most labs leave it up to the dr to disinfect the appliance as they are the final ones to fit the appliances, you never know a receptionist or dental assistant could be handling appliances with their bare hands before fitting, defeating the purpose of the labs careful disinfecting practices.

I think your suggestion about the alcohol free mouth wash is great, I was just reading that they contain sodium bicarbonate so I wouldn't have to mess around with baking soda.

Do you just use the mouthwash on its own or do you add water to it for volume?

Can you let me know what aproximately measurements you use and how long you would place appliances into mouthwash and for how long you would keep the same mouth wash in the bowl - I presume you go through a lot of mouthwash?

Btw I use Orthoresin by dentsply

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
When I have run into this in the past I traced it back to the acrylic not curing properly. Being left with to much residual monomer in the acrylic. On top of JMN's response I would look at your acrylic manufacturers instructions and make sure your following it perfectly. Also check your equipment to make sure its operating as it should. Example being if ur using a pressure pot to cure in that the water is at correct temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

orthoace

Reaction score
When I have run into this in the past I traced it back to the acrylic not curing properly. Being left with to much residual monomer in the acrylic. On top of JMN's response I would look at your acrylic manufacturers instructions and make sure your following it perfectly. Also check your equipment to make sure its operating as it should. Example being if ur using a pressure pot to cure in that the water is at correct temp.

Hey, what temp water do you use in your pressure pot and do you use any disinfectant or mouthwash freshener before sending your cases?

Thanks

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi JMN,

Thanks for reply.

From the research that I've done it seems that most labs leave it up to the dr to disinfect the appliance as they are the final ones to fit the appliances, you never know a receptionist or dental assistant could be handling appliances with their bare hands before fitting, defeating the purpose of the labs careful disinfecting practices.

I think your suggestion about the alcohol free mouth wash is great, I was just reading that they contain sodium bicarbonate so I wouldn't have to mess around with baking soda.

Do you just use the mouthwash on its own or do you add water to it for volume?

Can you let me know what aproximately measurements you use and how long you would place appliances into mouthwash and for how long you would keep the same mouth wash in the bowl - I presume you go through a lot of mouthwash?

Thanks in advance
In most states impressions and prosthesis are to be sanitized by both the office and the lab, leaving and arriving. Additionally, I dislike assumptions, and to that end, always disinfect. They won't tell you if the Pt has a recorded history of a transmittable disease, in most cases. Nor will you know in advance you have a cold while contagious and asymptomatic. Also, some offices won't/don't either assuming we do it...

Always use the material as the directions/IFU (Instructions For Use) indicate.
Store at the temperature indicated, mix at the ratio indicated, for the time indicated, cure at the temp indicated, under the pressure indicated, for at least the duration indicated.

My process steps:
Cure in at least 64 oz of water, at absolute minimum. Generally more. Leave it in the water until I need the pot or need the workpiece.
Inspect
Grind/polish
Clean with Dawn dish soap - it's an oil base, so it cuts things without great amounts. Peasize on a toothbrush.
Rinse thoroughly under running water, not a dip and swish.
Q/C (issues loop back to the beginning)
Bill
Cavicide treatment on both/all sides.
Rinse thoroughly under running water, not a dip and swish.
Put into Glad quart size zip-seal bag
Spray mouthwash into bag 2x on each side.
Zip Bag-n-tag

It stays in the zippy bag mouthwash environment until the office removes it. This is not anywhere close to much mouthwash, but it makes a difference.

Always happy to help.
What material are you using? I'm insistent on this as Astron Clear Splint has residual odor as a known issue.
[edit] sorry orthoace, I saw you put it up there and I missed it

Last edited:
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Hey, what temp water do you use in your pressure pot and do you use any disinfectant or mouthwash freshener before sending your cases?

Thanks

We use a heated pressure pot that maintains the water temp around 125. 20psi for atleast 20min. Of course your acrylic may require different temp, pressure, and time. Though most of them are very similar.

We spray and ship everything back In a bag sealed with Citrus II Germicidal cleaner.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
After curing full cycle bring to boil for an hour or two it will reduce the monomer load.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
You could put half a tuna sandwich in the bag with the appliance before shipping. That should eliminate the monomer smell.
You should really try kiviak...no one will ever complain about the monomer, ever...:D:D:D

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Microwave in a dish of water.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Interesting no heat warpage?
As long as you dont leave it in there too long, no.
What is too long? Depends on your oven and the thickness of the prosthesis/appliance. Less than 5 minutes will get a cup and a half of water to a total and very rolling boil even in my 750W oven.

Warpage will be more likely if you keep pumping energy into a system that has no 'sink' to absorb the energy, so short 'full power' (or 100% duty rating, depending on how you say it) bursts are fine.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
His ortho appliances would most likely have metal clasps, does the bowl of water take the place of the microwave flask?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I don't believe metal under water arcs

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
There's a bunch of research out there regarding the science.
Regarding the practical, if there really is a sensitivity issue, chances are you'll be exploring nonPMMA materials before it's all said and done,so what really is there to lose?
If you're that paranoid about warpage, then invest it in a couple plaster layers, dont divest till it's cool.
That should do it.

Top Bottom