Stripping Porcelain from Zirconia

J

John C

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on using acid strip ro remove porcelain from ZR framework. Will it damage the frame?

Last edited:
C

Campbellslab

Reaction score
Ive done it a few times on copings. I put it in for a few hours then blasted the rest off. Havnt had them come back, but as to if it effects the strength I have no clueDontknow

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Same here on a 3 unit bridge, when I was sending my frames out. I didn't have time to have it re-milled by the milling center, so I used the acid until most of it was gone then carefully ground and blasted the rest off. Like Campbellslab said, I'm not sure if it affects the strength, especially inside.

To help protect the zi frame, I would base the inside out with wax, to help protect that surface, and only let the acid take enough off so you can get an idea of where the frame is, and go from there.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Can you gents clue me in on the term "regeneration firing"

It is a firing cycle before applying your first layer of porcelain, after adjusting your framework (which should be minimal, anyway (one can dream...) The following quote is from an article (found here: http://dentalnews-articles.blogspot.com/2015/03/how-to-prevent-failure-of-veneered.html):

"E.max ZirCAD and VITA In-Ceram YZ don’t allow sandblasting or grinding the framework, since this can damage the surface leading to undesired phase transformation and jeopardize the bond with the layering ceramic. In case of minor correction after sintering, a thermal treatment (regeneration firing) can reverse any phase transformation."

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It is a firing cycle before applying your first layer of porcelain, after adjusting your framework (which should be minimal, anyway (one can dream...) The following quote is from an article (found here: http://dentalnews-articles.blogspot.com/2015/03/how-to-prevent-failure-of-veneered.html):

"E.max ZirCAD and VITA In-Ceram YZ don’t allow sandblasting or grinding the framework, since this can damage the surface leading to undesired phase transformation and jeopardize the bond with the layering ceramic. In case of minor correction after sintering, a thermal treatment (regeneration firing) can reverse any phase transformation."
Ahhh, Nobel had us doing a light blast (30psi?) on their Procera copings.
Thanks!

Top Bottom