market share of pfms?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Stopped Offering them a while back . What burns me is that I have to keep all my casting equipment around for 'Duralay Posts' that one Doc still loves to do every now & then .
crying-on-sofa1.gif

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Stopped Offering them a while back . What burns me is that I have to keep all my casting equipment around for 'Duralay Posts' that one Doc still loves to do every now & then .
View attachment 25029
Have you tried scanning the post and getting milled in Ti or CoCr or metal printing?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Have you tried scanning the post and getting milled in Ti or CoCr or metal printing?
I have no access to metal milling close by . They love that I turn them around in a few hours . Telling them it's going to take a few days and cost double what I used to charge won't thrill them ,lol ,,,,,,,,,,,,Iv'e shot myself in the foot again by being so damn efficient :(

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have no access to metal milling close by . They love that I turn them around in a few hours . Telling them it's going to take a few days and cost double what I used to charge won't thrill them ,lol ,,,,,,,,,,,,Iv'e shot myself in the foot again by being so damn efficient :(
The efficiency lesson hurts, wish I knew it sooner. Had a assistant ask how long for a flipper, she almost dropped the phone when I said tomorrow. Whoops.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
See what you get.Hahaha

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Im with 2thm8kr. I havent touched any metal in 2-3 years now. If you have Drs requesting something other than FCZ, you might want to look at your FCZ. I had the opportunity recently to see some FCZ done by other labs in my area. Ive never seen worse work. No insult to anyone, but we have materials that look nicer than any PFM. It takes work. Maybe that's the problem...mill, dip and sinter doesn't produce a nice crown.

And thats what you get for a sub $100 crown....
Just sayin my friend.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Well,regardless of the percentage,I doubt very much that pfm's are still the restoration of choice today.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Well,regardless of the percentage,I doubt very much that pfm's are still the restoration of choice today.
If people don't get their sugar addiction/consumption under control soon, it won't be zirc, glass, or metal. It'll be dentures.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The efficiency lesson hurts, wish I knew it sooner. Had a assistant ask how long for a flipper, she almost dropped the phone when I said tomorrow. Whoops.
Always answer two weeks, but tomorrow with a rush fee.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
If people don't get their sugar addiction/consumption under control soon, it won't be zirc, glass, or metal. It'll be dentures.
I see no problem with this.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I see no problem with this.
Business wise, bring it on!. But, there's a lot of other things that happen simultaneously.

EDIT: It's all Nixon's fault

Dr. Lustig of UCSF

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So apparently,anyone using zirconia over metal is just defending their overpriced computer thingys.
You are creating crap made by machines instead of hand made crafstmenship which is a lost skill.

It's all your fault you English pig dogs ....

cr

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Just ran a report, PFMs were around 11% of my total income last year. As much as Ive tried to get rid of them, Ive had one Dr send 3! 7-9 anterior bridges in the last month.. Casting two today. The labor involved is not sustainable anymore.. but for certain cases like these (one is replacing fractured all ceramic bridge) I guess old skool makes sense.. I even milled out a zoild multilayer for the pt but the Dr still chose the PFM bridge.. All my other clients send their PFMs somewhere else. It just doesnt make sense anymore unless youre getting paid $$$

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Just ran a report, PFMs were around 11% of my total income last year. As much as Ive tried to get rid of them, Ive had one Dr send 3! 7-9 anterior bridges in the last month.. Casting two today. The labor involved is not sustainable anymore.. but for certain cases like these (one is replacing fractured all ceramic bridge) I guess old skool makes sense.. I even milled out a zoild multilayer for the pt but the Dr still chose the PFM bridge.. All my other clients send their PFMs somewhere else. It just doesnt make sense anymore unless youre getting paid $$$
That is the main reason I quit doing them. The labor and interruption of my routines made them a thorn in my ass.
If I didn't have a bunch of software to learn and beta test and new digital work flows to make up maybe I could still do them??

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Would you consider pfms to be superior to zirconia?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
When done right, theyve proven their value and longevity (pfms) I think the industry is still in the early stages of getting Drs to use zirconia everywhere, mostly because of cases like the one I have where the bridge is fractured in half (emax). Who listens to the lowly dental tech anyway..

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I think most restorations when done right and for the proper indication have longevity. Why did that emax bridge fracture, bruxer, connectors too small, diamond disk used to open the embrasures?